Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Controls the Dominican Republic

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who Controls the Dominican Republic

Sorry if there's a thread already on this topic but just out of curiosity, I wanted to know who or what controls the Dominican Republic. Today I was talking to a colleague from Mexico City and he said that Mexico is controlled by the cartels, the government and Telmex/Carlos Slim and that all three factors work together interchangeably and basically control the entire country.  Is there something similar in the Dominican Republic? I'm imagining the government and maybe a few super wealthy and influential families behind the scenes? 

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nrg2003 View Post
    Sorry if there's a thread already on this topic but just out of curiosity, I wanted to know who or what controls the Dominican Republic. Today I was talking to a colleague from Mexico City and he said that Mexico is controlled by the cartels, the government and Telmex/Carlos Slim and that all three factors work together interchangeably and basically control the entire country.  Is there something similar in the Dominican Republic? I'm imagining the government and maybe a few super wealthy and influential families behind the scenes? 
    A colour perhaps?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

DR1 ??

The Rothchilds??

Skull & bones society??

Making a joke..

Good luck...

4. Likes southern liked this post
    On a VERY short thread...
    Post Thanks / Like

I had always heard that 5-6 very wealthy old money families were de facto controllers of the DR

6. Likes pelaut liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IslandDreaming View Post
    I had always heard that 5-6 very wealthy old money families were de facto controllers of the DR

That's what I assumed as well and that they then have say in who gets elected to run for president, etc. But I can't find the names. I think the book written by Bernardo Vega "Quienes Eran Los Ricos al Final de la Dictadura de Trujillo" exposed these families but I can't find the book either. 

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Presidente, Brugal, Barceló, Western Union, and Caribe Express. You pick the order.

9. Likes RDKNIGHT, ROLLOUT liked this post
    Dislikes rfp, Fulano2 disliked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nrg2003 View Post

In the front? Dominicans
    Behind the scenes? The U.S. gov.

The DR can and does push the envelope from time to time, but the U.S. gov has the last word when it comes to the big issues on the island. Internally there are no more main families behind the economy as it was during the 70’s, 80’s and late 90’s.
    The Diaspora has changed that picture radically since those times.
    Like the saying goes: Money is power! The Diaspora has billions to make that point.

In net terms, it’s the tourism sector the one that now conducts the economy.

The fatter your wallet, the more power you can control in the DR.
    Still when it comes to the big issues, Uncle Sam has the last word.
    One Dominican at a time please!

11. Likes Fredo, pelaut, Africaida, cbmitch9, Mauricio and 1 others liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The DR is basically an oligarchy. I've heard there's about maybe a dozen families that control most of the wealth here and wield a lot of influence with the politicians and the military. The Vincini family is the wealthiest. They have their fingers in just about everything and are said to own over half of all the private land here.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    Presidente, Brugal, Barceló, Western Union, and Caribe Express. You pick the order.
    You left out Pichardo.

14. Likes bachata liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PICHARDO View Post
    In the front? Dominicans
    Behind the scenes? The U.S. gov.

The DR can and does push the envelope from time to time, but the U.S. gov has the last word when it comes to the big issues on the island. Internally there are no more main families behind the economy as it was during the 70’s, 80’s and late 90’s.
    The Diaspora has changed that picture radically since those times.
    Like the saying goes: Money is power! The Diaspora has billions to make that point.

In net terms, it’s the tourism sector the one that now conducts the economy.

The fatter your wallet, the more power you can control in the DR.
    Still when it comes to the big issues, Uncle Sam has the last word.

The diaspora? Are you referring to the Dominicans that live in the US that send money back to DR to be circulated among the economy?  Do they have a lot of power from abroad? Who or what powers allowed for Danilo Medina to run for president? Was it the US government? - Sorry for all the questions, I'm just genuinely really curious. 

Also, are most resorts on the island owned by international groups of investors? 

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast