Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Controls the Dominican Republic

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    absolutely right. those are the guys who decide whether or not Leonel runs for president.
    I'm happy to see that you know whats really up in this world. you know something i never believe that sh*T when my father used to tell me that when i was a youngster. but now after seeing all the crazy **** in this world I believe 100 percent.

2. Likes Fulano2 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

absolutely right. those are the guys who decide whether or not Leonel runs for president.

As you have absolute inside information....why would they bother? They have so much money, kids study in Switzerland, money in Switzerland, houses abroad everywhere....
    Fill me in Gorgon.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    As you have absolute inside information....why would they bother? They have so much money, kids study in Switzerland, money in Switzerland, houses abroad everywhere....
    Fill me in Gorgon.
    please forgive the way i respond to you, because i do not want to sound condescending, in any way. i just want to express something i know to be reality in the DR, and other territories like it.

the real control in these places is the little thing they call old money. that includes all the islands in this region. ask anyone in Haiti about the name Brandt. those people do not put themselves up for election. these families have been around since Columbus. the old families marry each other, and they are the de facto control in the country. they are the people you and i will never see in our daily rounds. they are the reason why supermarkets have home delivery...they do not go out and shop among the hoi polloi.

Leonel Fernandez came from a very humble home, and never went to an Ivy League school. he used to own an old Volkswagen Beetle before he became President. does anyone realistically believe he controls anything beside crowd sympathy? if someone from one of the real centers of control decide he must step down, he cannot defy them and announce that he is running for President....it would not end well.

5. Likes rfp, Squat liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quietly, the military.

7. Likes cbmitch9 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It is sort of like the question "who REALLY controls the US?" The president controls the government, but the economy is not run by the government in any absolute terms.
    There are groups of wealthy people whose control is acknowledged and not infringed upon by other groups of wealthy people. The military certainly has veto power in the DR.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

please forgive the way i respond to you, because i do not want to sound condescending, in any way. i just want to express something i know to be reality in the DR, and other territories like it.

the real control in these places is the little thing they call old money. that includes all the islands in this region. ask anyone in Haiti about the name Brandt. those people do not put themselves up for election. these families have been around since Columbus. the old families marry each other, and they are the de facto control in the country. they are the people you and i will never see in our daily rounds. they are the reason why supermarkets have home delivery...they do not go out and shop among the hoi polloi.

Leonel Fernandez came from a very humble home, and never went to an Ivy League school. he used to own an old Volkswagen Beetle before he became President. does anyone realistically believe he controls anything beside crowd sympathy? if someone from one of the real centers of control decide he must step down, he cannot defy them and announce that he is running for President....it would not end well.

Thanks Gorgon but mentioning the Brandt's is not answering the question.
    Anyone outside Europe might think that the whole bunch of castle owning old money and "sang bleu" would have power. Well they don't. Yes on style, fashion, what to do, behaviour. But not political.
    So untill anyone comes with evidence, I say...it is the government that rules the great Republica.

10. Likes Kipling333, rfp liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There is abundant evidence that less than 1% of the population in Haiti own more than 95 % of the wealth ,but there is no evidence that this is the case in the DR . In fact much to the contrary. I agree that the power is with Parliament.The USA seldom oversteps the mark in the DR nor does any one person carry too much weight ,I have never seen any evidence to the contrary . The worst that has been done by the USA was to withdraw a few visas.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southern View Post
    Believe me, there is no Carlos Slim on this island. Carlos is worth 65 billion plus and is a schooled engineer.
    He does own a cottage (to make it sound humble, lol) in Romana.

Moderator Polls Forum

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

The 10 richest men in the country http://acento.com.do/2014/economia/8...ca-dominicana/

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

14. Likes cavok, AlterEgo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone is in control? Fooled me.

16. Likes canned oj liked this post
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast