Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Geography Lesson Needed?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by beeza View Post
    Some people think Nambia is real country!
    Some people also think New York is a real country

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes. Holanda is in Florida nowadays.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    Oh yes. Holanda is in Florida nowadays.

It is not bad beer, probably better Presidente "Leit", but take note that the normal looking bottle of Holandis is only 11½ ounces and not the 12 you though you were buying.

Oh, HOLANDA, you say, not Holandia?

As Emily Litella used to say, Never mind!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that the name of the country "República Dominicana" is to distinguish it from the previous incarnations of the country.

It has been a Spanish colony at least twice, A French colony from 1795 to 1808, ruled by Haiti , occupied by the US three times.

It is República, not a colonia nor a monarquía.
    the word Republic means "non hereditary rule by a citizen" not by a king, emperor, viceroy or other monarch.

You could make a good case for celebrating as many as five Independence days.

Haiti has had, I think, three Emperors.

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    The names of the whole island have included Hispaniola, La Española, Saint Domingue, Santo Domingo, Ayiti and Quisqueya.
    Officially its called Isla de Santo Domingo, yes despite that even Dominican government officials will often refer to the island as La Española or Hispaniola or even Quisqueya, never Haiti though. lol

Here is the Dominican Constitution (http://www.ifrc.org/docs/idrl/751ES.pdf). In article 9 (third page) it clearly says that the Dominican territory comprises the eastern portion of the island of Santo Domingo.

Now here is the Haitian Constitution (http://www.wipo.int/wipolex/en/text....inkTarget_1461). In article 8 it says that the Haitian territory comprises the western part of the island of Haiti.

Hispaniola is simply the Latin version of La Española, and while it was first used (sporadically) in colonial times when the whole island belong to Spain, it didn't became 'official' among foreign governments (not Haiti or DR governments) in the 1920's. The USA, with both countries militarily intervened, was going to put an end to the name of the island. They arbitrarily decided on Haiti, but once the news reached the Dominican population and the Dominican officials, a formal protest was made. The Americans knew they couldn't pick Santo Domingo as the name of the island, because the same discomfort was going to take place among the Haitians. They opted for Hispaniola, which Dominicans accepted (afterall, it derives from La Española, hinting to the Spanish heritage of the island and naturally that pertains to Dominicans) and the Haitians accepted too.

I personally think the Haitians accepted that due to ignorance of the origin of the name Hispaniola and what it really means regarding to who the island belongs.

Anyway, despite both countries accepting Hispaniola and that's the most popular name for the island among other governments and in official maps made outside the island; in Haiti the official name for the island continue to be Island of Haiti and in Dominican Republic the official name continue to be Island of Santo Domingo.

Moderator Polls Forum

6. Likes Caonabo, Uzin liked this post
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_Onassis View Post
    I think that the name of the country "República Dominicana" is to distinguish it from the previous incarnations of the country.

It has been a Spanish colony at least twice, A French colony from 1795 to 1808, ruled by Haiti , occupied by the US three times.

It is República, not a colonia nor a monarquía.
    the word Republic means "non hereditary rule by a citizen" not by a king, emperor, viceroy or other monarch.

You could make a good case for celebrating as many as five Independence days.

Haiti has had, I think, three Emperors.
    Its not fully clear why Juan Pablo Duarte et al decided to name the country with the name of the government. There are many hypothesis out there.

What does remain as a huge confusion for many is understanding why the name of the country as we know it is the name of the government.

With the following demostrations I think it will be clear (at least, everytime I explain it like this people get it.)

The following names are in this order:

NAME OF COUNTRY - NAME OF GOVERNMENT WITH NOUN FIRST - NAME OF GOVERNMENT WITH NOUN LAST

FRANCE - FRENCH REPUBLIC - REPUBLIC OF FRANCE

HAITI - HAITIAN REPUBLIC - REPUBLIC OF HAITI

CUBA - CUBAN REPUBLIC - REPUBLIC OF CUBA

MEXICO - UNITED MEXICAN STATES - UNITED STATES OF MEXICO

VENEZUELA - VENEZUELAN BOLIVARIAN REPUBLIC - BOLIVARIAN REPUBLIC OF VENEZUELA

SPAIN - SPANISH KINGDOM - KINGDOM OF SPAIN

SANTO DOMINGO (Saint Dominic in English) - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - REPUBLIC OF SANTO DOMINGO (Republic of Saint Dominic in English)

On another issue there is some sort of debate going on, because in reality from 1812 to 1822 and then again from 1861 to 1865 the Dominican territory was actually a Spanish province, not a colony.

The same debate takes place in Puerto Rico and in Cuba as well, because from the first decade of the 1800's those two islands were Spanish provinces too, which technically means they ceased to be colonies.
    Last edited by NALs; 09-28-2017 at 03:36 PM.

Moderator Polls Forum

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

So you are saying Santo Domingo is the name of the country, as you compare it to Cuba, France etc?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. .... I started out here thinking I knew the score but I am losing it fast.

Too much information for the head knuckle (knucklehead)....
    I am opting out

RD or The DR..... I'll even settle for 'The Dominican' at this point.

Lambada will turn in her grave , Chiri will retaliate... I'm toast

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a nap mate.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

What do they call it at Playa Magente??
    at the corner colmado ?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast