Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are DR Government doing anything to help PR?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are DR Government doing anything to help PR?

Hi, we got off pretty lightly with Maria, but Puerto Rico was completely destroyed, I have a friend who is stuck in PR, who has been a resident of DR for years, she is desperate to get out of PR but she is on the west coast and cant get to any airports because gas is rationed and scarce, money is rationed and again scarce, I could only find a local boat company and we could get them from a port close to them but it is so expensive she wont take it, as she has lost nearly everything they own, they have no food, no electricity, barely contactable. Has everyone forgotten about them, is there any service available from DR to get them back here?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I saw last night on news that today govement is sending help using the Ferry, Port Authoriity and Internation Affairs Ministery working together, also Industrial Asociation of Dominican Republic will send help today using the Ferry to PR too.

3. Likes piratadominicana liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This is an important thread.. because if we can not give help to a neighbouring island in such a time of need ,how can we possibly expect help when the eventual hurricane hits us very hard.The help from the USA has been so slow in arriving and now is not nearly sufficient for the needs,that one has to wonder what help the DR would receive if a territory receives so little so late. It is very sad that there is no way that ordinary people from the DR can not help those in dire trouble in Puerto Rico.

5. Likes piratadominicana, mountainannie liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

From what I hear from PBS and other news sources the seaports in PR are full
    of containers of supplies; problem being distribution. Roads need to be cleared
    of obstructions before trucks can deliver.

7. Likes Timotero liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I believe that the ports are full, and yes you are right the roads are impossible to pass in most places right now, but we live in a modern world, surely these days we can send helicopters over the mona passage from PC, to help distribute things to parts away from san juan, if the US wanted to for sure they would do this but I have to say I'm not convinced the US are doing everything they could do in this case, for sure DR being the closest has more at it's disposal than is being utilized to help these guys.

9. Likes mountainannie, Russell liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling333 View Post
    This is an important thread.. because if we can not give help to a neighbouring island in such a time of need ,how can we possibly expect help when the eventual hurricane hits us very hard.The help from the USA has been so slow in arriving and now is not nearly sufficient for the needs,that one has to wonder what help the DR would receive if a territory receives so little so late. It is very sad that there is no way that ordinary people from the DR can not help those in dire trouble in Puerto Rico.
    I really want to help, am an ordinary person with not a lot of money but regardless, I don't have confidence that donated funds are allocated correctly in any cases, but cash is really useless there right now with no access to banks or communications, and even with cash there is no gas or food to buy. I want to be on the ground, with the people taking supplies to those that cant get to san juan, but there is no way at all to do it. I agree wholeheartedly with you with how you wonder what help we would receive if they won't even help their own. We need to find a way to help them, here in DR exapats and dominicans alike rebuild and come together,.

11. Likes Kipling333 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I was listerning today an interview and PAWA is preparing Humanitarian flights to Puerto Rico and Cuba, help will continue arriving, they did to Saint Marteen with 3 flights delivering specially water to the island and bring back 450 people.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by piratadominicana View Post
    Yes I believe that the ports are full, and yes you are right the roads are impossible to pass in most places right now, but we live in a modern world, surely these days we can send helicopters over the mona passage from PC, to help distribute things to parts away from san juan, if the US wanted to for sure they would do this but I have to say I'm not convinced the US are doing everything they could do in this case, for sure DR being the closest has more at it's disposal than is being utilized to help these guys.
    Believe your being a little simplistic with your helicopters. Unless you got something like a Chinook CH-47, most helicopters are not made for cargo. plus if the roads are in that bad of shape there is probably no place to land. We are not talking Mash 4077. Plus the CH-47 has much more capacity with external loads again the Mona Passage with external loads?
    Seriously doubt if there are many or any in the DR. and you cant fly them from florida to the PR(don't have the range).

Any thing I have wrong I am sure that ID can correct me.

Not sure I would have the intestinal fortitude to try and take one of the many old Huey's the DR has across the Mona Passage a yola might be a safer bet.

14. Likes banzai, Timotero liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey bienamor, yes I have zero knowledge of helicopters it is true, was just thinking as the army can get supplies to the remotest parts of the world when they want to, surely there is a way to get things all distributed in a much better way on an island really quite small and with a point of launch so close obviously the logistics would be left to the experts.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been following the Puerto Rico situation very closely and there is a great distribution problem .Petrol takers not being driven because the drivers want armed guards and mush food in containers in the ports. This is not a huge logistical problem and I can not see why the leaders of the most powerful country on earth can not solve it .As far as the infrastructure rebuilding is concerned, They need the help of Oberdrecht !!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast