Are DR Government doing anything to help PR?

piratadominicana

Feb 9, 2017
Hi, we got off pretty lightly with Maria, but Puerto Rico was completely destroyed, I have a friend who is stuck in PR, who has been a resident of DR for years, she is desperate to get out of PR but she is on the west coast and cant get to any airports because gas is rationed and scarce, money is rationed and again scarce, I could only find a local boat company and we could get them from a port close to them but it is so expensive she wont take it, as she has lost nearly everything they own, they have no food, no electricity, barely contactable. Has everyone forgotten about them, is there any service available from DR to get them back here?

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Yes, I saw last night on news that today govement is sending help using the Ferry, Port Authoriity and Internation Affairs Ministery working together, also Industrial Asociation of Dominican Republic will send help today using the Ferry to PR too.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
This is an important thread.. because if we can not give help to a neighbouring island in such a time of need ,how can we possibly expect help when the eventual hurricane hits us very hard.The help from the USA has been so slow in arriving and now is not nearly sufficient for the needs,that one has to wonder what help the DR would receive if a territory receives so little so late. It is very sad that there is no way that ordinary people from the DR can not help those in dire trouble in Puerto Rico.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
From what I hear from PBS and other news sources the seaports in PR are full
of containers of supplies; problem being distribution. Roads need to be cleared
of obstructions before trucks can deliver.

piratadominicana

Feb 9, 2017
Yes I believe that the ports are full, and yes you are right the roads are impossible to pass in most places right now, but we live in a modern world, surely these days we can send helicopters over the mona passage from PC, to help distribute things to parts away from san juan, if the US wanted to for sure they would do this but I have to say I'm not convinced the US are doing everything they could do in this case, for sure DR being the closest has more at it's disposal than is being utilized to help these guys.

piratadominicana

Feb 9, 2017
This is an important thread.. because if we can not give help to a neighbouring island in such a time of need ,how can we possibly expect help when the eventual hurricane hits us very hard.The help from the USA has been so slow in arriving and now is not nearly sufficient for the needs,that one has to wonder what help the DR would receive if a territory receives so little so late. It is very sad that there is no way that ordinary people from the DR can not help those in dire trouble in Puerto Rico.

I really want to help, am an ordinary person with not a lot of money but regardless, I don't have confidence that donated funds are allocated correctly in any cases, but cash is really useless there right now with no access to banks or communications, and even with cash there is no gas or food to buy. I want to be on the ground, with the people taking supplies to those that cant get to san juan, but there is no way at all to do it. I agree wholeheartedly with you with how you wonder what help we would receive if they won't even help their own. We need to find a way to help them, here in DR exapats and dominicans alike rebuild and come together,.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I was listerning today an interview and PAWA is preparing Humanitarian flights to Puerto Rico and Cuba, help will continue arriving, they did to Saint Marteen with 3 flights delivering specially water to the island and bring back 450 people.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Yes I believe that the ports are full, and yes you are right the roads are impossible to pass in most places right now, but we live in a modern world, surely these days we can send helicopters over the mona passage from PC, to help distribute things to parts away from san juan, if the US wanted to for sure they would do this but I have to say I'm not convinced the US are doing everything they could do in this case, for sure DR being the closest has more at it's disposal than is being utilized to help these guys.

Believe your being a little simplistic with your helicopters. Unless you got something like a Chinook CH-47, most helicopters are not made for cargo. plus if the roads are in that bad of shape there is probably no place to land. We are not talking Mash 4077. Plus the CH-47 has much more capacity with external loads again the Mona Passage with external loads?
Seriously doubt if there are many or any in the DR. and you cant fly them from florida to the PR(don't have the range).

Any thing I have wrong I am sure that ID can correct me.

Not sure I would have the intestinal fortitude to try and take one of the many old Huey's the DR has across the Mona Passage a yola might be a safer bet.

piratadominicana

Feb 9, 2017
Hey bienamor, yes I have zero knowledge of helicopters it is true:ermm:, was just thinking as the army can get supplies to the remotest parts of the world when they want to, surely there is a way to get things all distributed in a much better way on an island really quite small and with a point of launch so close obviously the logistics would be left to the experts.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have been following the Puerto Rico situation very closely and there is a great distribution problem .Petrol takers not being driven because the drivers want armed guards and mush food in containers in the ports. This is not a huge logistical problem and I can not see why the leaders of the most powerful country on earth can not solve it .As far as the infrastructure rebuilding is concerned, They need the help of Oberdrecht !!!

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
Just spoke to my mother in Hatillo, PR, and there is running water at her house house and she was also able to get gas for the car and generator. The local supermarkets Kash-n-Karry and Amigo are open for periods of time as is Sam's club.
Also, the road from Moca to Hatillo is reported to be completely clear.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
This thread is about **DR** helping Puerto Rico. Several inappropriate posts have been deleted.

There is another thread in Off Topic Forum for all other comments about Puerto Rico after Maria.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I think,looking at the news tonight , that the scale of the disaster and the amount of co ordination that is needed has just sunk in . I read that a General has been appointed to take control of the relief operations . I think we need to concentrate on the many people who have no food ,water or power rather than the few who have .

DRPAWA

Sep 3, 2004
I agree 100% with you Kipling333. Most people are not doing as well as those in Hatillo and it is going to take a massive effort from the federal and local authorities as well as the people of PR and donors from everywhere to get that island back in shape.

Would it be productive to have a thread similar to the one we had here about the different parts of DR during Irma but about PR and what kind of shape different parts of the PR are in?

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
UK & US Chinooks flew into POP Sunday for water and supply pickup and more today all headed to PR

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
This morning arrived in the Ferry to San Juan 2 trucks to transport gas to hospital's generators and supplies, within next days will continue sending more supplies, medicines, food and construction materials.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I was listerning today an interview and PAWA is preparing Humanitarian flights to Puerto Rico and Cuba, help will continue arriving, they did to Saint Marteen with 3 flights delivering specially water to the island and bring back 450 people.

After suffering for weeks without sufficient food or clean water, my wife's aunt just arrived back in La Romana yesterday on one of those rescue flights from Sint Maarten. Needless to say, a little worse for the wear.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
My nephew lives in Puerto Rico - in the Southwest - between Ponce and Mayaquez in an area called Cabo Rojo - which is fairly remote and basically survives as a tourist area for Puerto Ricans in the summer months and some foreign ex pats -- There was industry in Ponce back in the 50s.. and Mayaguez is a serious port city.

It was 6 days before he was able to check in with the family - and that only because a Puerto Rican friend who had a cell phone that had service stopped by. My nephew's place is reasonably remote - about 15 minutes from the town of Boqueron. It belonged to his Mom - now sadly deceased. He himself was living in San Juan and working quite successfully as a scuba dive leader in San Juan - both at the Caribe Hilton and taking tours at to Farjado - the port city for Vieques. The little house, which he rents out via Air BnB https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1159120?s=3 - evidently survived MARIA - but he has no electricity and no water.

Evidently he has run out of fuel for the generator which he has - or perhaps it could not pump from his well? I do not know as I have not been able to contact him. He connected with his cousin - I have not been able to talk or message with him. But he is young and healthy and has Puerto Rican friends who we know will look out for him.... because - well - Puerto Ricans are like Dominicans -- both with ENORMOUS HEARTS.. and if you have friends..

Cualquier cosa - tu me llames!

I have been both reading and posting on two FB groups - and on one I posted this article about the aid from the DR... http://www.elvocero.com/el-mundo/do...cle_ff049dba-a2a9-11e7-80b2-27964fd7bda6.html

followed by this one... https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...os-por-huracan-maria-en-puerto-rico-DA8244234

I had a lot of Puerto Ricans screaming at me -- that I did not understand the Jones Act.. That the Ferry could not run... that the Ferries would not be allowed to dock... that ALL the goods into Puerto Rica had to be offloaded into Jacksonville... etc etc etc... I posted statistics of Puerto Rico's foreign trade. was told to stop posting f9909kin statistics and read the Jones Act (which I have done, btw).... Ah... well.. OF COURSE they are upset.. I mean I only have one nephew and I could barely sleep... THIS IS THEIR ISLAND.. THEY ARE ALL COUSINS!

But THEN-- There was THIS POST.. from a man who is employed at the Philadelphia Zoo...

Take a BOW.. Republica Dominicana!

"Carlos C. Martinez Rivera "Even before today's amend to the law, there is regular traffic of goods from the DR to PR on the ferry. It is coming from the DR, but the company is based in Puerto Rico. I used it regularly to travel to and from both island, there is one boat that is a cruise and ferry, and a second boat that is just for cargo. The one that is for cargo has been in operation since at least two days supplying diesel, generators, and other emergency items needed to run buildings without electricity to Mayagüez and other western towns. The port in Mayagüez wasn't really damaged, but the offices and some building were. It needed the OK from Customs, USDA and ICE before it could receive cargo on the ferry, so It took a few days, but it has saved the west from collapsing."

now.// of course.. we have not actually had any reporting from the docks in Mayaguez -- but I certainly want to thank both Carlos Rivera //

AND

The Dominican Republic

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
For others who may not be able to offer refuge for no money - there is the regular site on Air BnB which certainly needs more listings from the Domincan Republic.

I can report that my nephew has used them for years and has been very happy with their service.