A Hipster's Guide to Santo Domingo

Jan 7, 2016
And I, when I read the prices of Affordable Luxury Accomodations.

You have to remember, all these vacationing millenials have a lot of money to spend BECAUSE THEY HAVE NOTHING TO SHOW FOR THEIR EFFORTS in their home country of the U.S., as they don't own property, can barely afford their rent and spend money on trivial items like Toasted Avocado Sandwiches at Starbucks!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The author could have spent a few hours on dr1 and came up with much better info that what is in that article.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I got a chuckle when I read this.
There was a time, not long ago, when many young people in the Dominican Republic dreamed of life elsewhere.
;)
In reality, those who can afford to hang around the trendy hipster bars in Santo Domingo have no need to go anywhere else. They have it made in the DR.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have been to a couple of those places...in the article

Trust me...
the people are NOT your normal slice of Dominican life.... by a long shot.

Very, very smooth (suave, actually) ... moneyed, dressed, chic....like another planet.

Go to Laurel and peek in the windows some night....

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I actually find the article to be spot on in regards to it's intended demographic. Every generation has it's own particular quirks, and millennials are no different.....for better or worse. Most, not all, but most tourists and expats are naturally situated in close proximity to beachfront locations, and rarely come in contact with the growing 21-35 millennial crowd. Aside from the obvious in Santo Domingo, visit any location that features a university, and you will see many new businesses opening, attempting to gain the young, up and coming professional crowd. This includes wine and tapas bars. What you are witnessing is a nation moving forward, through it's youth. Successful parents who will provide their children with excellent educational opportunities, and those young adults who aspire to succeed as well. You are currently dealing with the first generation who have always had things such as the internet, google, facebook, and youtube available. They are aware of what occurs in the world, and want the same for themselves. Whereas you may have had young adults in the past who would have been content with continuing the tradition of working on a farm, construction, or the service industry, you now have young adults who want to manage or own that farm, construction company, or restaurant/hotel. I know many young adults who are currently enrolled in university, and studying engineering and architecture. The change will not happen over night, as time has shown, but it is occurring. These young adults are not spending their time in colmados and carwashes, but yet in the hipster themed enviornments mentioned in the article above. For those with the means, it's an excellent demographic to be targeting, if interested in a business venture.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
This article is obviously trying to show a side of Santo Domingo that many people didn't know existed. It's not trying to say that Santo Domingo is all hipster, high class restaurants and bars. Its just showing that Santo Domingo's growing hipster scene could be a nice attraction for hipsters all around the world. And that's a good thing, because that's the kind of tourist that likes to spend money and likes to live that high life. That would benefit the economy of Santo Domingo.

This hipster scene can be seen in any major city in the world. Why would Santo Domingo be the exception?? Rich jevito's travel to New York, Montreal, London and Madrid all the time and they see what's going on in other parts of the world, so they will try to replicate it here.

It's always been like this. In the 90's, most middle and high class dominican youngins were metal heads and punks, now they want to be hipster, and then they will try to follow the next trend, so on and so forth.

I don't see what's the big deal. It's like people in this forum think that every time someone talks about Santo Domingo, they HAVE to talk about the poor barrios like Guachupita and Gualey. Everybody knows DR is a poor country, it's not like this article is trying to deny or hide that.

Also, Santo Domingo de Guzmán (Distrito Nacional) does have a population that approximates to 1 million. Now, Greater Santo Domingo has a total population of 2.7 Million according to the 2010 census. Most people believe it's 3.4 million, including myself, but we'll stick to the official numbers for now.

The thing is that Santo Domingo is extremely dense, so it's a large amount of people living in a small portion of land.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I agree with that Natu... and the population thing you mention crossed my mind.

But that would be like citing the City of London (UK) proper.......and ignoring the rest.

And Yes, the crowd in what I saw could be in any big metropolis....
Personally, I'm not used to seeing it here.... hence my comment

I know RD isn't all poor barrios..... many of us know that..

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

But that would be like citing the City of London (UK) proper.......and ignoring the rest.

And Yes, the crowd in what I saw could be in any big metropolis....
Personally, I'm not used to seeing it here.... hence my comment

I know RD isn't all poor barrios..... many of us know that..

I would also agree with Natu. I just found the article as nothing new to me. Only because I am based in Santo Domingo and know this "hipster" scene is there. If you don't get to Santo Domingo or even Santiago often you might be amazed at how "First World" parts of these cities can be, especially Santo Domingo.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This article is obviously trying to show a side of Santo Domingo that many people didn't know existed. It's not trying to say that Santo Domingo is all hipster, high class restaurants and bars. Its just showing that Santo Domingo's growing hipster scene could be a nice attraction for hipsters all around the world. And that's a good thing, because that's the kind of tourist that likes to spend money and likes to live that high life. That would benefit the economy of Santo Domingo.

This hipster scene can be seen in any major city in the world. Why would Santo Domingo be the exception?? Rich jevito's travel to New York, Montreal, London and Madrid all the time and they see what's going on in other parts of the world, so they will try to replicate it here.

It's always been like this. In the 90's, most middle and high class dominican youngins were metal heads and punks, now they want to be hipster, and then they will try to follow the next trend, so on and so forth.

I don't see what's the big deal. It's like people in this forum think that every time someone talks about Santo Domingo, they HAVE to talk about the poor barrios like Guachupita and Gualey. Everybody knows DR is a poor country, it's not like this article is trying to deny or hide that.

Also, Santo Domingo de Guzmán (Distrito Nacional) does have a population that approximates to 1 million. Now, Greater Santo Domingo has a total population of 2.7 Million according to the 2010 census. Most people believe it's 3.4 million, including myself, but we'll stick to the official numbers for now.

The thing is that Santo Domingo is extremely dense, so it's a large amount of people living in a small portion of land.

i remember times sitting in Vesuvio and watching the Ferraris and Maseratis rolling by...the DR does have its upscale side. the issue is the discrepancy between the people who have had access and exposure, and those who have not.

Natu

Jan 20, 2013

Oh ok. Now i get what you mean.

Yeah, it kind of bothers me too. Especially when 15 yrs ago it was all one big city, before these ladrones divided it into 4 different municipalities or boroughs, if you will.

Its all a mess.. An unnecessary one.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Actually , saying 1,000,000 is an injustice to the reading audience (and to RD)

It's misleading at best - if not flat out innacurate

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Actually , saying 1,000,000 is an injustice to the reading audience (and to RD)

It's misleading at best - if not flat out innacurate

Now I think I am catching on. Saying the population is 1,000,000 is misleading because people will think it is 1,000,000 hipster rich folks?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
and order a bottle of Presidente that’ll likely cost you less than a buck.

Now that is the funniest and most inaccurate part......................... still say, a few hours reading dr1 he could have saved the travel expense and had a much better article. I am also certain a few posters could have provided some nice pics to include.........