Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why do Dominicans applaud after a plane lands safely?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why do Dominicans applaud after a plane lands safely?

Nice article in Diario Libre on this:

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...vion-JG8282902

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

My flights 95% of the passengers are Dominicans. I have noticed over the past ten years not as many people are applauding as in the past. A few times once the tires hit the tarmac if I don't hear the applause I start applauding. I get quite a few laughs from those sitting near me.

I always felt the applause meant no more than they are happy to arrive safely, especially considering that Dominican flight that crashed mid-air out of NYC several years ago.

The applause does get you into a jovial mood upon arrival...............

3. Likes Garyexpat, DR Solar, dulce, frank12, curlando liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

why do people have to overthink everything? what is with getting the expert opinion of a psychiatrist?

this is simple stuff. the people are on a plane. planes have been known to crash. people die when that happens. so, their particular plane got here in one piece. they are grateful. they are applauding the pilot for bringing them home safely.

that's it.

5. Likes bigbird, HIRAM, sabra, irishpaddy, nigrarosa and 5 others liked this post
    Dislikes DR Solar, Caonabo disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    why do people have to overthink everything? what is with getting the expert opinion of a psychiatrist?

this is simple stuff. the people are on a plane. planes have been known to crash. people die when that happens. so, their particular plane got here in one piece. they are grateful. they are applauding the pilot for bringing them home safely.

that's it.
    LOL, but it is NOT official until a six figure study has be completed...............

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    LOL, but it is NOT official until a six figure study has be completed...............
    true. you and i could have told them for free.

8. Dislikes DR Solar disliked this post
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

In that article they are trying very hard to make it seem as a uniquely Dominican tradition. Reality says that most Latin people do this, by Latin I'm referring to the original definition. Puerto Ricans clap too, so do Cubans, Venezuelans; even Spaniards and Italians are known for this (they are Latins too, the original Latins.)  

The first time I was on an airplane where no one clapped was on my first flight within the USA. Needless to say, it did ruin my flying experience and I couldn't believe it. Such landings are so boring, but I've learn to accept them as part of the culture of wherever most of the people on the plane happen to be from. I do feel that a mass clap does puts a final touch, almost as a closing, to the flight even if I don't clap myself. It gives closure to the experience. 

Moderator Polls Forum

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a landing during a violent thunder storm in PP a little while ago that included a touch and go and the go was full throttle up.
    Scared me to near to death.
    My wife said she was not scared in the least. She is such a liar.
    When we landed the second time there were only sighs of relief.
    I usually applaud to go along and laugh with the other passengers.
    That time I wanted to kiss the ground.

11. Likes KateP, frank12 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

This is not a Dominican thing. I've been on a couple of international flights where over 90% of the passengers were foreign, and everyone clapped upon landing; for example, Paris-Punta Cana.

13. Likes AnnaC, bronzeallspice, markryan liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is something you can also do , and watch to see the surprised faces .
    When they do the announcements, they give you the Capt and First officers Names..
    When you land and exit,, thank them BY NAME with a smile, as you exit ... the smile on their faces in return will surprise you .. they appreciate it a lot .

15. Likes AnnaC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

True not just Dominicans, Canadians do it too. Trips to the DR, Cuba or Mexico always end with an applause. We are happy to have arrived in one piece.

I've been to Italy twice but can't remember if we did that or not.
    Moderator Visa forums
    www.DR1.com

17. Likes Aguaita29 liked this post
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast