Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Why do Dominicans applaud after a plane lands safely?

  1. #11
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    28,115
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaC View Post
    True not just Dominicans, Canadians do it too. Trips to the DR, Cuba or Mexico always end with an applause. We are happy to have arrived in one piece.

    I've been to Italy twice but can't remember if we did that or not.
    i wonder why people would believe that only Dominicans do this..

  2. Likes AnnaC liked this post
  3. #12
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,166
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    i wonder why people would believe that only Dominicans do this..
    It's very common for people to claim something as unique to their own particular group, when in fact, it isn't.

  4. #13
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    Here is something you can also do , and watch to see the surprised faces .
    When they do the announcements, they give you the Capt and First officers Names..
    When you land and exit,, thank them BY NAME with a smile, as you exit ... the smile on their faces in return will surprise you .. they appreciate it a lot .
    After I land and when exiting the plane. , I thank the pilot for having a safe and pleasant flight.
    I can count two actual ''prangs'' in Northern Canada on a Kingair that unnerved me for life.
    I do not applause ; I am too busy being religious. Just get me off this thing ..
    Russell

  5. #14
    Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    112
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaC View Post
    True not just Dominicans, Canadians do it too. Trips to the DR, Cuba or Mexico always end with an applause. We are happy to have arrived in one piece.

    I've been to Italy twice but can't remember if we did that or not.
    I'll bet there was a big applause on an Air France Air Bus...largest passenger plane in the world emergency landed in Goose Bay Labrador because it blew an engine over the Atlantic today... Got religious too!!
    Russell

  6. Likes AnnaC liked this post
  7. #15
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,488
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I have noticed that when a plane from the DR lands in Miami or in NY there is little or no clapping but when it lands in the DR there is much clapping . so maybe the head shrinks can explain that . Personally I think that now it is just a custom. When my Iberia flight lands in Madrid there is no clapping but it is a much bigger plane . Like wise I cannot ever recall hearing clapping when the Iberia flight lands from Madrid into Santo Domingo. On jetblue flights , it is much more obvious .

  8. #16
    Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    469
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Million mile club every year for 20 years. People and cultures are different. How those returning to their homes and family can not be examined or explained nor should it.

    You can clap or not. But perhaps THEY have their own reason to celebrate.

    I'm good with that.

  9. #17
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,451
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Flights into SDQ from SXM were always the loudest. Not only claps but cheers and a lot of banter. Pleased to be back to be family again safely. Flying PAWA helps with the free rum.

    I used to fly air Turks & Caicos, now Inter Caribbean, from Provo to STI and POP with ex esposa at times and those were very boisterous flights especially to STI as we bounced over the mountains and then landed safely and loads of cheers and clapping, with most of the passengers full to the brim with drink...passing the duty free black label around was the norm during the flight.

  10. #18
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    1,558
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Maybe it's a cultural thing. Like the girls wearing their bra's two sizes too small.

  11. Likes Africaida, CristoRey liked this post
  12. #19
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    8,047
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    i wonder why people would believe that only Dominicans do this..
    For the same reason there are people that think the sancocho is a uniquely Dominican dish, when in fact there's a variety of sancocho in just about every country that emerged from Spain. Guess where it originally came from? Haven't you wondered why a dish that has to be eaten hot was even 'invented' in the Dominican tropical climate? lol

    I also used to believe that apple pies was an American invention, mostly because many Americans believe that too. I was taught a thing or two about such pies by an English guy I met at the university. Never again do I think of the USA when I think of apple pies. In fact, Americans have a saying that goes 'as American as apple pie.'

    Moderator Polls Forum

  13. #20
    Silver
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    3,451
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    For the same reason there are people that think the sancocho is a uniquely Dominican dish, when in fact there's a variety of sancocho in just about every country that emerged from Spain. Guess where it originally came from? Haven't you wondered why a dish that has to be eaten hot was even 'invented' in the Dominican tropical climate? lol

    I also used to believe that apple pies was an American invention, mostly because many Americans believe that too. I was taught a thing or two about such pies by an English guy I met at the university. Never again do I think of the USA when I think of apple pies. In fact, Americans have a saying that goes 'as American as apple pie.'
    Off topic...but there is only one apple to make a real apple pie....very British.....a Bramley

    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/bramley-apple

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO