Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do Dominicans applaud after a plane lands safely?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I think they clap because in most cases they know they are getting off of an American Airlines flight. I'm going to start clapping too come to think about it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR Solar View Post
    Million mile club every year for 20 years........t.

Wait, am I understanding that correctly? You flew 1,000,000 miles every year for twenty years? That's a hell of a lot of hand clapping!
    In fact that's an average of 20,000 flight miles per week. EVERY WEEK (well, 50 weeks a year) for TWENTY YEARS!
    You must have had a 20 year case of Jet lag too then. I tip my sombrero to you sir. 

And I always assumed the clapping was just because the folks were happy to be back en la republica dominicana?

3. Likes southern liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    LOL, but it is NOT official until a six figure study has be completed...............
    I think we need a NaLs poll on this.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    why do people have to overthink everything? what is with getting the expert opinion of a psychiatrist?

this is simple stuff. the people are on a plane. planes have been known to crash. people die when that happens. so, their particular plane got here in one piece. they are grateful. they are applauding the pilot for bringing them home safely.

that's it.
    I applaud or should i say give thanks once the plane has really slowed down.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I always thought it was an American thing (North, South, Latin..)

First applauds I ever heard were in the USA flying from Europe (and I have been flying before I could walk).

I think it has a lot to do with people being afraid of flying. Dominicans or Latin American tend to be superstitious too.(watch their faces during turbulence, priceless , I have witness women holding their husbands, often see people praying during the flight). I don't judge.

Having said that, the clapping is louder during the Christmas season, people are genuilely happy to go home during the holidays.

MY FAVORITE MOMENT IN DR though is the arrival at SDQ, makes you feel like a rockstar- except no one is waiting for me, lol- It makes me happy to see relatives running towards some arriving passenger, people cheering. I just love it !!

I love airports in general, and flying to SDQ is everything during the holidays (including the flight!) ! I Can't wait to be DR in December

7. Likes RayO, Fulano2, bigbird, Aguaita29, keepcoming and 1 others liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post

Having said that, the clapping is louder during the Christmas season, people are genuilely happy to go home during the holidays.

MY FAVORITE MOMENT IN DR though is the arrival at SDQ, makes you feel like a rockstar- except no one is waiting for me, lol- It makes me happy to see relatives running towards some arriving passenger, people cheering. I just love it !!

I love airports in general, and flying to SDQ is everything during the holidays (including the flight!) ! I Can't wait to be DR in December
    I can not agree more. A few years back I had a flight back stateside a week before Christmas. I am at SDQ a couple hours before departure and spent some time in arrivals. To see the joy, the hugs, the kisses the Dominicans showed when family and friends arrived was enough to bring tears to a grown man's eyes. It was so heart warming and just made me wish Americans had the same family bond like Doms do.

...................MY FAVORITE MOMENT IN DR though is the arrival at SDQ, makes you feel like a rockstar- except no one is waiting for me, lol
    You should have said something sooner. I will be there rocking in my ugly chair waiting for you on your next arrival. :-)

9. Likes Africaida, bronzeallspice liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaC View Post
    True not just Dominicans, Canadians do it too. Trips to the DR, Cuba or Mexico always end with an applause. We are happy to have arrived in one piece.

I've been to Italy twice but can't remember if we did that or not.
    Yeah, last year I flew from/to Toronto from POP and people clapped too. The plane was packed with Canadians. Only a few locals.
    I did fly once from NY to Toronto but I can't remember if they clapped or not. lol

11. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it has a lot to do with people being afraid of flying. Dominicans or Latin American tend to be superstitious too.(watch their faces during turbulence, priceless , I have witness women holding their husbands, often see people praying during the flight)

I was once in a flight from NY with a lady who preached and praised the Lord all through the flight. She didn't shut up for a minute!

13. Likes bronzeallspice, Africaida liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The secret is out

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    You should have said something sooner. I will be there rocking in my ugly chair waiting for you on your next arrival. :-)
    Thanks for the offer , but, after all these years, our taxi driver from LT wait for us and me and the kids run into his arms like he is their dad's We refuse to be left out of the celebration, lol

15. Likes bigbird liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

First applauds I ever heard were in the USA flying from Europe (and I have been flying before I could walk).

I think it has a lot to do with people being afraid of flying. Dominicans or Latin American tend to be superstitious too.(watch their faces during turbulence, priceless , I have witness women holding their husbands, often see people praying during the flight). I don't judge.

Yes..that famous "runway" I call it. Like the red carpet. As for the clapping, for me it says I have arrived in the Dominican Republic, welcoming gesture.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast