Why do Dominicans applaud after a plane lands safely?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
My flights 95% of the passengers are Dominicans. I have noticed over the past ten years not as many people are applauding as in the past. A few times once the tires hit the tarmac if I don't hear the applause I start applauding. I get quite a few laughs from those sitting near me.

I always felt the applause meant no more than they are happy to arrive safely, especially considering that Dominican flight that crashed mid-air out of NYC several years ago.

The applause does get you into a jovial mood upon arrival...............

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
why do people have to overthink everything? what is with getting the expert opinion of a psychiatrist?

this is simple stuff. the people are on a plane. planes have been known to crash. people die when that happens. so, their particular plane got here in one piece. they are grateful. they are applauding the pilot for bringing them home safely.

that's it.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
why do people have to overthink everything? what is with getting the expert opinion of a psychiatrist?

this is simple stuff. the people are on a plane. planes have been known to crash. people die when that happens. so, their particular plane got here in one piece. they are grateful. they are applauding the pilot for bringing them home safely.

that's it.

LOL, but it is NOT official until a six figure study has be completed...............

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In that article they are trying very hard to make it seem as a uniquely Dominican tradition. Reality says that most Latin people do this, by Latin I'm referring to the original definition. Puerto Ricans clap too, so do Cubans, Venezuelans; even Spaniards and Italians are known for this (they are Latins too, the original Latins.)  

The first time I was on an airplane where no one clapped was on my first flight within the USA. Needless to say, it did ruin my flying experience and I couldn't believe it. Such landings are so boring, but I've learn to accept them as part of the culture of wherever most of the people on the plane happen to be from. I do feel that a mass clap does puts a final touch, almost as a closing, to the flight even if I don't clap myself. It gives closure to the experience. 

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
We had a landing during a violent thunder storm in PP a little while ago that included a touch and go and the go was full throttle up.
Scared me to near to death.
My wife said she was not scared in the least. She is such a liar.
When we landed the second time there were only sighs of relief.
I usually applaud to go along and laugh with the other passengers.
That time I wanted to kiss the ground.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
This is not a Dominican thing. I've been on a couple of international flights where over 90% of the passengers were foreign, and everyone clapped upon landing; for example, Paris-Punta Cana.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Here is something you can also do , and watch to see the surprised faces .
When they do the announcements, they give you the Capt and First officers Names..
When you land and exit,, thank them BY NAME with a smile, as you exit ... the smile on their faces in return will surprise you .. they appreciate it a lot .

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
True not just Dominicans, Canadians do it too. Trips to the DR, Cuba or Mexico always end with an applause. We are happy to have arrived in one piece. ;)

I've been to Italy twice but can't remember if we did that or not.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
True not just Dominicans, Canadians do it too. Trips to the DR, Cuba or Mexico always end with an applause. We are happy to have arrived in one piece. ;)

i wonder why people would believe that only Dominicans do this..

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Here is something you can also do , and watch to see the surprised faces .
When they do the announcements, they give you the Capt and First officers Names..
When you land and exit,, thank them BY NAME with a smile, as you exit ... the smile on their faces in return will surprise you .. they appreciate it a lot .

After I land and when exiting the plane. , I thank the pilot for having a safe and pleasant flight.
I can count two actual ''prangs'' in Northern Canada on a Kingair that unnerved me for life.
I do not applause ; I am too busy being religious. Just get me off this thing ..
Russell

Russell

Jun 17, 2017

I'll bet there was a big applause on an Air France Air Bus...largest passenger plane in the world emergency landed in Goose Bay Labrador because it blew an engine over the Atlantic today... Got religious too!!
Russell

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have noticed that when a plane from the DR lands in Miami or in NY there is little or no clapping but when it lands in the DR there is much clapping . so maybe the head shrinks can explain that . Personally I think that now it is just a custom. When my Iberia flight lands in Madrid there is no clapping but it is a much bigger plane . Like wise I cannot ever recall hearing clapping when the Iberia flight lands from Madrid into Santo Domingo. On jetblue flights , it is much more obvious .

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Million mile club every year for 20 years. People and cultures are different. How those returning to their homes and family can not be examined or explained nor should it.

You can clap or not. But perhaps THEY have their own reason to celebrate.

I'm good with that.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Flights into SDQ from SXM were always the loudest. Not only claps but cheers and a lot of banter. Pleased to be back to be family again safely. Flying PAWA helps with the free rum.

I used to fly air Turks & Caicos, now Inter Caribbean, from Provo to STI and POP with ex esposa at times and those were very boisterous flights especially to STI as we bounced over the mountains and then landed safely and loads of cheers and clapping, with most of the passengers full to the brim with drink...passing the duty free black label around was the norm during the flight.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Maybe it's a cultural thing. Like the girls wearing their bra's two sizes too small.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
i wonder why people would believe that only Dominicans do this..
For the same reason there are people that think the sancocho is a uniquely Dominican dish, when in fact there's a variety of sancocho in just about every country that emerged from Spain. Guess where it originally came from? Haven't you wondered why a dish that has to be eaten hot was even 'invented' in the Dominican tropical climate? lol

I also used to believe that apple pies was an American invention, mostly because many Americans believe that too. I was taught a thing or two about such pies by an English guy I met at the university. Never again do I think of the USA when I think of apple pies. In fact, Americans have a saying that goes 'as American as apple pie.'

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
For the same reason there are people that think the sancocho is a uniquely Dominican dish, when in fact there's a variety of sancocho in just about every country that emerged from Spain. Guess where it originally came from? Haven't you wondered why a dish that has to be eaten hot was even 'invented' in the Dominican tropical climate? lol

I also used to believe that apple pies was an American invention, mostly because many Americans believe that too. I was taught a thing or two about such pies by an English guy I met at the university. Never again do I think of the USA when I think of apple pies. In fact, Americans have a saying that goes 'as American as apple pie.'

Off topic...but there is only one apple to make a real apple pie....very British.....a Bramley

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/glossary/bramley-apple