Expired rental contract

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
With respect to everyone, I am only looking for answers to this question from those who know for sure, thank you.

A person or company rents an office premises with a contract and that contract expires. It does not state within that contract what would happen if the contract has expired. No new contract is offered to the renter but they continue to pay rent and stay in the office for several years. The renter then decides to vacate the office.

Is the landlord within their rights to demand rent until the anniversary of the expiry month in the original contract?

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
With respect to everyone, I am only looking for answers to this question from those who know for sure, thank you.
Good luck with that :ermm:
Mack.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008

A person or company rents an office premises with a contract and that contract expires. It does not state within that contract what would happen if the contract has expired. No new contract is offered to the renter but they continue to pay rent and stay in the office for several years. The renter then decides to vacate the office.

Is the landlord within their rights to demand rent until the anniversary of the expiry month in the original contract?

More than likely, as the original contract has expired, the renter is on a month to month basis.

They have 60 days to vacate the premise with written notice to Landlord and vice versa.

The renters can either receive their deposit back 10 days after the Landord receives the keys OR they can literally live out their 2 month deposit (this is supported in the Dominican Law and there is nothing you can do about it as a Landlord).

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I would say ....for the answer to your question wait for sr. guzman to reply or ask a competent lawyer.....all others will be hearsay