Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Drinking street water - interesting results

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Drinking street water - interesting results

I've just bought an apartment in a tower, and I wanted to install a boiling water tap (faucet). But this only works when connected to the mains water supply, not with bottled water. I read on the CAASD website that they say that in Greater Santo Domingo the water from the tap is perfectly drinkable, and has been for three years. Obviously I didn't believe this, so I sent off to the US for a Complete Water Analysis Test Kit, and have run a complete test on the water. The results are below. It appears that the water coming out of my tap would pretty much meet EPA standards, so would be acceptable in the US. I'm just not sure if I am prepared to risk it and start to drink it, and I would welcome comments from anyone who can help interpret these results.

Results:

Bacteria: None (EPA acceptable level is None)
    Total Chlorine: 4 ppm (EPA acceptable level is 4ppm or under)
    Nitrate Nitrogen: 10 ppm (EPA acceptable level is 10 ppm or under)
    Nitrite Nitrogen: 0 ppm (EPA acceptable level is 1 ppm or under)
    Copper: 0ppm (EPA acceptable level is under 1.3 ppm)
    Lead: Negative (EPA acceptable level is negative)
    Iron: 0ppm (EPA acceptable level is Under 0.3ppm)
    pH: 8 (EPA acceptable level if 6.5 to 8.5)
    Hardness: 200 ppm (EPA acceptable level is under 50ppm, but this does not affect health)

2. Likes Dolores, jinty05 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't see anything in those results about amoebas and parasites.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting results especially zero bacteria and maximum chlorine levels. They are out to zap all form of bacterial life.

My concern would be in times of flood as recently in May.

A good UV filter is probably a good addition to give you confidence along with a filter to reduce the chlorine level.

https://www.home-water-purifiers-and...let-filter.php

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROLLOUT View Post
    I don't see anything in those results about amoebas and parasites.
    You should consult with your local pharmacy/farmacia to assist you with the required medications before taking the risk. Azitromicina 500mg works wonders, but we are not all created equal. It may be cheaper to stick with bottled water. Good luck.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I still couldn't bring myself or my family to drink it. I would cook with it but would be scared silly to drink it as I had the bug once and that was more than enough.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

7. Likes oriole100, Celt202 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The U.S has the safe water drinking act. It is enforced by the EPA. It covers all states and Puerto Rico. The Dominican Republic has no oversight that will "hold water". Bottled water is best to drink, stay thirsty my friend.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southern View Post
    The U.S has the safe water drinking act. It is enforced by the EPA. It covers all states and Puerto Rico. The Dominican Republic has no oversight that will "hold water". Bottled water is best to drink, stay thirsty my friend.
    I wonder therefore if anyone has tested the bottled water prepared locally that you recommend. At least TP has tested independently the tap water as the OP and shared the results.

I bet we are drinking the same quality or similar out of those 5 gallon bottles.

The effective form of water treatment here is UV treatment, chlorination and carbon/other filtration. It is not RO.
    Last edited by ju10prd; 10-04-2017 at 08:13 PM.

10. Likes mobrouser, Mauricio liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

i am sure you may able to get a good analysis some days but not every day , so why risk drinking tap water when the bottled water from reputable companies is safe .

12. Likes southern liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling333 View Post
    i am sure you may able to get a good analysis some days but not every day , so why risk drinking tap water when the bottled water from reputable companies is safe .
    Remember Disani when they introduced their brand in the UK? Thanks to the consumers affairs in the UK, we discovered they were using tap water when the company said it was spring water.

There are no reputable companies when a dollar is to be made. Do as the OP did and you may find your 5 gallon colmado water is straight out of the tap too.

14. Likes frank recktenwald liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalPaul View Post
    ..... I sent off to the US for a Complete Water Analysis Test Kit, and have run a complete test on the water.....
    How much did the test kit cost?

I would do several tests, at least one as ju10prd suggested after a period of heavy rain/flooding, and track your results and then make your decision.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast