Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Puerto Plata Tourism Growing

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I agree with WW, you're looking at it wrong. If POP had 1000 tourists last year, and 1150 this year, that's a 15% increase. If Punta Cana had 20,000 last year, and 21,600 this year, that's an 8% increase.
    you have just proved my point. thank you. your example shows that 150 additional tourists in POP translates to a 15% increase. while 1600 additional tourists in PC translates to only 8%, even though the absolute number is more than 10 times as many.

am i missing something?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Puerto Plata is the destination of greatest growth in the arrival of tourists

PUERTO PLATA. The Minister of Tourism, Francisco Javier García, reported that this destination has experienced the greatest growth in the arrival of tourists to the country in recent years.

He revealed that during the first eight months of this year, the International Airport of Las Américas registered a growth of 1.9%, that of Punta Cana 8%, while Gregorio Luperón grew 15%.

"To know how Puerto Plata is, it must be said that so far this year, the destination is leading the growth of the arrival of tourists to the country by air and sea," he said.

The Tourism Minister announced that Puerto Plata will receive positive news about investment that will provoke a revolution in tourism in the area.

Francisco Javier García spoke during the opening of the sixth version of the Discover Puerto Plata MarketPlace tourist fair. The ceremony was held at the Hotel Iberostar Playa Dorada and the development of the fair takes place in the convention center of Puerto Plata

========================================================

Yes you are... the statement is 'Growth'.... not number of passengers

Growth is being expressed in % terms - not absolute.

You may be trying to refute the statement by changing the yardstick to absolute - # of passenger arrivals

It seems the gov't measures growth in % terms, not absolute numbers

3. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Remembering that it is a translation... some of the wording may be compromised

5. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post

Yes you are... the statement is 'Growth'.... not number of passengers

Growth is being expressed in % terms - not absolute.

You may be trying to refute the statement by changing the yardstick to absolute - # of passenger arrivals

It seems the gov't measures growth in % terms, not absolute numbers
    I read it the same way - in percentages, not in the number of tourists.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

7. Likes Caonabo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Pedantic comes to mind....

but - our boy is our boy... no changing stripes here.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

When you had such a small number of tourist, adding a small number really bumps up the percentages. What are the raw numbers?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

No Gorgan you are not missing the point ..just to get the numbers lined up.Puerto Plata handles about 750,000 passengers every year and Punta Cana about 7,000,000 every year so an increase of 50,000 passengers each year in each airport is 6.6% for Puerto Plata but 0.7% in Punta Cana . Nice to see Puerto Plata having a tourist revival but the percentage comparisons are meaningless .

11. Likes Fulano2, Caonabo liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    When you had such a small number of tourist, adding a small number really bumps up the percentages. What are the raw numbers?

Haven't released any raw data that I've seen.......but at least it's going in the right direction!  When I first saw the headline, I thought they were going to try to inflate the numbers by using the cruise passengers, I'm glad I was wrong.  

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post

Some light reading:

http://www.jac.gob.do/transparencia/...lic%202016.pdf

I think page 44 is what you're looking for, but the rest of the doc is informative too...

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    Maybe they'll make RT5 a 4 lane from POP to RSJ. One can dream.
    It is in the plans.

Its not a question of if, but rather of when.

Moderator Polls Forum

15. Likes ctrob liked this post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast