AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
computer translation:

TOURISM| 05 OCT 2017, 10:32 AM |EDWARD FERNÁNDEZ

Puerto Plata is the destination of greatest growth in the arrival of tourists

PUERTO PLATA. The Minister of Tourism, Francisco Javier García, reported that this destination has experienced the greatest growth in the arrival of tourists to the country in recent years.

He revealed that during the first eight months of this year, the International Airport of Las Américas registered a growth of 1.9%, that of Punta Cana 8%, while Gregorio Luperón grew 15%.

"To know how Puerto Plata is, it must be said that so far this year, the destination is leading the growth of the arrival of tourists to the country by air and sea," he said.

The Tourism Minister announced that Puerto Plata will receive positive news about investment that will provoke a revolution in tourism in the area.

Francisco Javier García spoke during the opening of the sixth version of the Discover Puerto Plata MarketPlace tourist fair. The ceremony was held at the Hotel Iberostar Playa Dorada and the development of the fair takes place in the convention center of Puerto Plata.

https://www.diariolibre.com/economi...ecimiento-en-la-llegada-de-turistas-HE8314900

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
computer translation:

TOURISM| 05 OCT 2017, 10:32 AM |EDWARD FERNÁNDEZ

PUERTO PLATA. The Minister of Tourism, Francisco Javier García, reported that this destination has experienced the greatest growth in the arrival of tourists to the country in recent years.

He revealed that during the first eight months of this year, the International Airport of Las Américas registered a growth of 1.9%, that of Punta Cana 8%, while Gregorio Luperón grew 15%.

"To know how Puerto Plata is, it must be said that so far this year, the destination is leading the growth of the arrival of tourists to the country by air and sea," he said.

The Tourism Minister announced that Puerto Plata will receive positive news about investment that will provoke a revolution in tourism in the area.

Francisco Javier García spoke during the opening of the sixth version of the Discover Puerto Plata MarketPlace tourist fair. The ceremony was held at the Hotel Iberostar Playa Dorada and the development of the fair takes place in the convention center of Puerto Plata.

https://www.diariolibre.com/economi...ecimiento-en-la-llegada-de-turistas-HE8314900

I can believe the part about something provoking a "revolution"

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Comes as no surprise to me. Been watching Playa Dorada rejuvenate itself for three or four winters now. New very expensive condos, rebuilt resorts, etc. If you factor in the recent devastation to many of the islands in the Caribbean, tourism business in Playa Dorada and its surrounding areas should increase anyway.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Comes as no surprise to me. Been watching Playa Dorada rejuvenate itself for three or four winters now. New very expensive condos, rebuilt resorts, etc. If you factor in the recent devastation to many of the islands in the Caribbean, tourism business in Playa Dorada and its surrounding areas should increase anyway.

well, the assertion is that the rate of increase in POP is the greatest number. that is not hard to figure, since it is calculated from the lowest base.

let us say a guy has 100 dollars. if you give him 10 dollars, his increase is 10%. if he started with 1000 dollars, and he gets the same 10 dollars, the increase is 1%.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
This is great news. All along the coast there are new projects. With Thompson going in on the Cabarete resort, there should be more flights coming and hopefully more competitive pricing. Also, with the new road to the Santiago airport opening next year, there should be more options for tourists as well. I think in a few years time we will be complaining of crowded roads and parking problems... hahahaha Well on DR1 we will always find the negative aspect of things... I think... We have lived through the good ole times here...things are going to change over the next few years...

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
This is great news. Also, with the new road to the Santiago airport opening next year, there should be more options for tourists as well. I think in a few years time we will be complaining of crowded roads and parking problems... ... We have lived through the good ole times here...things are going to change over the next few years...

Maybe they'll make RT5 a 4 lane from POP to RSJ. One can dream.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
well, the assertion is that the rate of increase in POP is the greatest number. that is not hard to figure, since it is calculated from the lowest base.

let us say a guy has 100 dollars. if you give him 10 dollars, his increase is 10%. if he started with 1000 dollars, and he gets the same 10 dollars, the increase is 1%.

No Gargoyle------ you should stick to linguistics.

Growth is a measurement increase in this case - passenger arrivals....
if I have a 10% increase and you have 15% - you grew more.
No calibration of the base amount (as in your $100/10 & $1000/10 example)

Base amount is factored in to the equation as the denominator,
the number of new arrivals is the numerator.....

Absolute numbers will favor Punta Cana which receives about 66% of the country's flights.
A small increase there is a larger absolute number

Your argument is that POP's denominator is so small that 2 passengers artificially drives the % up.
That assumption is false--- where I come from.

Sorry to challenge you.....but....

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No Gargoyle------ you should stick to linguistics.

Growth is a measurement increase in this case - passenger arrivals....
if I have a 10% increase and you have 15% - you grew more.
No calibration of the base amount (as in your $100/10 & $1000/10 example)

Base amount is factored in to the equation as the denominator,
the number of new arrivals is the numerator.....

Absolute numbers will favor Punta Cana which receives about 66% of the country's flights.
A small increase there is a larger absolute number

Your argument is that POP's denominator is so small that 2 passengers artificially drives the % up.
That assumption is false--- where I come from.

Sorry to challenge you.....but....

really. so, if POP had 1000 tourists last year, and Punta Cana had 10,000, tell me what would be the rates of increase if they both got 100 additional tourists this year.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
really. so, if POP had 1000 tourists last year, and Punta Cana had 10,000, tell me what would be the rates of increase if they both got 100 additional tourists this year.

I agree with WW, you're looking at it wrong. If POP had 1000 tourists last year, and 1150 this year, that's a 15% increase. If Punta Cana had 20,000 last year, and 21,600 this year, that's an 8% increase.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree with WW, you're looking at it wrong. If POP had 1000 tourists last year, and 1150 this year, that's a 15% increase. If Punta Cana had 20,000 last year, and 21,600 this year, that's an 8% increase.

you have just proved my point. thank you. your example shows that 150 additional tourists in POP translates to a 15% increase. while 1600 additional tourists in PC translates to only 8%, even though the absolute number is more than 10 times as many.

am i missing something?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Francisco Javier García spoke during the opening of the sixth version of the Discover Puerto Plata MarketPlace tourist fair. The ceremony was held at the Hotel Iberostar Playa Dorada and the development of the fair takes place in the convention center of Puerto Plata

========================================================

Yes you are... the statement is 'Growth'.... not number of passengers

Growth is being expressed in % terms - not absolute.

You may be trying to refute the statement by changing the yardstick to absolute - # of passenger arrivals

It seems the gov't measures growth in % terms, not absolute numbers

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes you are... the statement is 'Growth'.... not number of passengers

Growth is being expressed in % terms - not absolute.

You may be trying to refute the statement by changing the yardstick to absolute - # of passenger arrivals

It seems the gov't measures growth in % terms, not absolute numbers

I read it the same way - in percentages, not in the number of tourists.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When you had such a small number of tourist, adding a small number really bumps up the percentages. What are the raw numbers?

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
No Gorgan you are not missing the point ..just to get the numbers lined up.Puerto Plata handles about 750,000 passengers every year and Punta Cana about 7,000,000 every year so an increase of 50,000 passengers each year in each airport is 6.6% for Puerto Plata but 0.7% in Punta Cana . Nice to see Puerto Plata having a tourist revival but the percentage comparisons are meaningless .

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When you had such a small number of tourist, adding a small number really bumps up the percentages. What are the raw numbers?

Haven't released any raw data that I've seen.......but at least it's going in the right direction!  When I first saw the headline, I thought they were going to try to inflate the numbers by using the cruise passengers, I'm glad I was wrong.