Claro and fibre optic

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I am posting this for a friend who is located in Santo Domingo and needs someone within Claro to help with a fibre optic issue and can't find anyone in Claro to help.

Anyone has any suggestions or the name of someone within Claro?

Thanks

Matilda

Feb 7, 2007
What exactly is his issue, I know a lot about fiber optics so if you are more specific I can give you some guidance.

alhasdo

May 11, 2017
I am posting this for a friend who is located in Santo Domingo and needs someone within Claro to help with a fibre optic issue and can't find anyone in Claro to help.

Thanks

Matilda

I suggest call the company to recieve attention... the phone number is 809-220-1111

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Thanks

Matilda

What exactly is his issue, I know a lot about fiber optics so if you are more specific I can give you some guidance.

Correct me if wrong but with Claro isn't the fiber optic cable only up to the modem/router? Anything beyond that is not fiber but Ethernet cat5 or wireless?

Feb 7, 2007
Well that's why I asked what is the issue, so a correct guidance can be provided. E.g. TV is freezing up, would mean the signal is arriving on borderline loss (-27dB in Claro case) that the ONT cannot accept, in which case receive potency in the terminal on the pole needs to be checked and if that checks OK then the connectors on the drop line need to be re-cleaved.... etc... hard to suggest a solution without knowing what is a problem. And calling up "someone in Claro" will not resolve any issue. But as suggested, calling up Claro is the best option they have crews that work both the connections from the pole terminal to the ONT as well as trunk connections to the distributor and the terminal. But then, as she writes, the person tried contacting Claro and nobody was able to help her. So knowing exactly what is the issue is important before giving any kind of suggestion.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I think he has called Claro umpteen times with no success but I have asked what the issue is. Will post as soon as I find out and thanks for help.

Matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
OK so this is the issue. It is for a hotel in the Colonial Zone and the Manager says: "We have a lot of problems with the regular internet from claro and a technician has told us that fibre optic is available just from one street away and maybe if we pay like an installation fee they could install us fibre optic. However, Claro doesn't assign you with an account manager until you have a matter THEY consider account manager worthy and in our case they just say that they isn't any fibre optic in our street so no possibility, and as no account manager we are stuck with ****ty wifi"

Does anyone know if fibre optic would improve the service, how much installation fees might be and how to go about getting it installed? Or someone in Claro who could actually help rather than be Mr. Jobsworth.

Matilda

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
When I installed Claro fiber I was responsible for digging the trench and providing the conduit for Claro to run the new line from their drop on the street to my house. Others in my neighborhood had to do the same and in some cases that meant digging up a part of the roadway to get the line across the street then repaving.

I don't know anything about the utility conduits in SD. I don't think Claro would be able to fish a line from an adjacent street but maybe in SD there are above ground options. Generally speaking if Fiber service is not available at the drop being used currently, then getting it to that utility drop is Claro's problem and all the people on the street need to start clamoring for Fiber connections as it is available locally, just not local enough.

In any case, the quality of the signal at the modem connection inside a structure is completely dependent on the quality of the signal being delivered to the structure by Claro and Claro's equipment. Fiber can provide a cleaner signal and faster speeds than twisted pair or coax. If Claro's half of the equation is crappy, the customers experience will be crappy.

If this hotel makes use of wifi to deliver internet service to the guests, even with good Fiber, the wifi service can still be lacking depending on how the in-hotel wifi is setup, the equipment being used and how many repeaters or boosters are employed. If the hotel supplies plug in connections, then little if any internal rewiring should be needed assuming those cables are intact and not munched by ants, roaches or have nails pounded through them.

If the current internet service is good in the same room as the current Claro modem but not good in Room 23C then the problem is probably not with Claro but the hotel's internet distribution system itself. Claro will bring the connection to your home or business but how you get that signal to every room or every part of your house is up to you.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
If the fiber is aerial as most places in DR is, take the picture of the terminal (gray box with yellow letters) on the poles and go to the customer service office and request there. Call center has not updated or correct data. Customer service center can type in the terminal number an pull up the "correct address". Then a technician is scheduled.

Going by this suggestion, several people were able to get the fiber installed in Higuey even though call center claimed no fiber was available. In one case the "address" for the terminal box was a place over 0.5 km away.

The gray box terminal letters in yellow start with letter F for fiber.

Feb 7, 2007
@cdn_gringo Dig a conduit for fiber from drop to a house? Never seen that in Higuey or Bávaro. Everything is aereal. Trunk fiber, Fiber to the distributor, Fiber to the terminal, Fiber to the house... All of it.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I picked the wrong place to live. :) Everything is harder here than it needs to be most of the time.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thank you for all of your suggestions. As far as I know all is fine in house, there are repeaters everywhere and all was hunky dory until a truck knocked down the pole which had the claro cable on it. Since then there have been issues. Thanks for this I will report back to the manager.

Matilda

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
When I installed Claro fiber I was responsible for digging the trench and providing the conduit for Claro to run the new line from their drop on the street to my house. Others in my neighborhood had to do the same and in some cases that meant digging up a part of the roadway to get the line across the street then repaving.

I don't know anything about the utility conduits in SD. I don't think Claro would be able to fish a line from an adjacent street but maybe in SD there are above ground options. Generally speaking if Fiber service is not available at the drop being used currently, then getting it to that utility drop is Claro's problem and all the people on the street need to start clamoring for Fiber connections as it is available locally, just not local enough.

In any case, the quality of the signal at the modem connection inside a structure is completely dependent on the quality of the signal being delivered to the structure by Claro and Claro's equipment. Fiber can provide a cleaner signal and faster speeds than twisted pair or coax. If Claro's half of the equation is crappy, the customers experience will be crappy.

If this hotel makes use of wifi to deliver internet service to the guests, even with good Fiber, the wifi service can still be lacking depending on how the in-hotel wifi is setup, the equipment being used and how many repeaters or boosters are employed. If the hotel supplies plug in connections, then little if any internal rewiring should be needed assuming those cables are intact and not munched by ants, roaches or have nails pounded through them.

If the current internet service is good in the same room as the current Claro modem but not good in Room 23C then the problem is probably not with Claro but the hotel's internet distribution system itself. Claro will bring the connection to your home or business but how you get that signal to every room or every part of your house is up to you.

What kind of s***y company requires you to trench to you house, and lay conduit in order to get service to your residence?
GTFOHWTS

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
What kind of s***y company requires you to trench to you house, and lay conduit in order to get service to your residence?
GTFOHWTS

This is not an uncommon practice even in the USA. If utility services are not aerial than it becomes the home owner's responsibility to provide a conduit to the utility companies pole.

Sometimes even when aerial if the house is set too far back from the road the home owner pays to install another pole.

gatito

Banned
Nov 1, 2016
I picked the wrong place to live. :) Everything is harder here than it needs to be most of the time.

Yup, and they seem to thrive on chaos. Certainly they cannot stand anything that works because that means responsibility to keep it working, so they just trash it the first moment nobody is looking. Gringo stuff is just too hard, thus everything will always be wrecked or barely functional. Africa is the same, and no hope, and no solution. Go somewhere smart like Thailand, 99% geniuses there, and not lazy.