Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning up Santo Domingo

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Cleaning up Santo Domingo

TOWN HALL OF THE NATIONAL DISTRICT| 06 OCT 2017, 12:00 AM |WILDER PÁEZ

Beginning this Friday the cleaning of the city in 24 hours

SANTO DOMINGO. The Mayor of the National District, David Collado, announced today that he will begin an extensive cleaning operation on 24-hour days to intensify the garbage collection in the city, after the administration of the dump of Duquesa was assumed by the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources, Public Health and the town hall of Santo Domingo Norte.

He said that throughout the weekend will be a massive operation of solid waste collection as a way to compensate for the days when the dump of Duquesa was paralyzed as a result of legal litigation with the company Lajun Corporation.

"The priority is that citizens can move a clean and friendly city, so we will not rest until the collection is standardized," said Collado, adding: "We will also involve the administrative staff of the City. WP

computer translated from: https://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...oche-BD8317535

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Together with CAASAD,this council is generally unbelievably bad . I cannot comment about the areas that I never go to but I can in the areas south of 27 de Febrero. These areas have been cleaned quite well recently even Villa Francisca . The main problem lies with the destruction of many roads by CAASAD,some more than 9 months ago.There are huge strips of road that have been dug up, repairs done then the road is just left with rocks and stones and no new surfacing : In my street ,all residents have complained and asked for the roads to be fixed up but nothing happens . I have not noticed any un usual build up of rubbish in Zona Colonial, San Carlos, Ciudad Nueva or Gazcue .or in the Piantini areas but maybe further north it is bad and of course in the areas of illegal dwellings along the Rio Ozama.

3. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Just another reason why I prefer Santiago over Santo Domingo (lived in S.D. 6 1/2 years) HANDS DOWN!

5. Likes jinty05 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

it is hard to keep anyplace clean ....if its own residents throw garbage out on the street
    it never ceases to amaze me when you come upon a beautifull beach , mountain area or park and it is littered with all kinds of garbage
    " I love my country ....but not enough to place garbage where it belongs"

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

....... they could hire the mayor of Santiago, as a consultant........

8. Likes Garyexpat liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think that residents throwing stuff onto the street is unique to DR. Where I live in central London, there is a car park under my building where the street cleaning trucks have a section, and I am always amazed how much trash they pick off the street, literally tons every day. Dominicans are generally very clean, you very rarely meet a smelly person here, and even the poorest houses are usually spotlessly clean. Once they get used to having clean streets, I don't think litter will be big problem here.

10. Likes John Boyter, mountainannie liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Just this afternoon saw David Collado on Av. Independencia near Buenos Aires where there is always an overflow of trash from the poor barrio there every morning, yet every evening the whole area is cleaned up. Demonstrating in person the need to lead from the front against the problems of all the country. The ancient politicians just sat behind their desks and led an inefficient public service which was fully exposed in last weeks report (reported by DR1 news - Global Competitive Index 28th September) about how inefficient the country has become.

I admire this guy and his youthful approach to tackling the horrendous bureaucracy in this country and all the problems that one of the most populous areas of the country has dealing with MOPC, CAASAD and all.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econom...cuts-red-tape/

It is about time the city at last got a decent mayor.

Every city has it's problems but the public service mill stone DR has is just a step too far. Needs fresh ideas from the top to shake out the inefficiencies.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by irishpaddy View Post
    it is hard to keep anyplace clean ....if its own residents throw garbage out on the street
    it never ceases to amaze me when you come upon a beautifull beach , mountain area or park and it is littered with all kinds of garbage
    " I love my country ....but not enough to place garbage where it belongs"
    They throw trash out in the street, but generally only in the established collection points. I know that people hold their trash for several days and then carry it more than a hundred meters the night before collection. In the morning a crew comes by and cleans the collection area with shovels and push brooms.

13. Likes Caonabo, mountainannie liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wuarhat View Post
    They throw trash out in the street, but generally only in the established collection points. I know that people hold their trash for several days and then carry it more than a hundred meters the night before collection. In the morning a crew comes by and cleans the collection area with shovels and push brooms.
    Very true. Rarely is a dumpster provided at those points, and even if there is one, it's overflowing and trash littered around it.

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

15. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

sorry if I was picked up wrong ....I was not talking about people throwing garbage out from their houses.....I was talking about people discarding garbage from their cars and as they walk along ....one night in the colonial zone I saw a well dressed woman get out of her new escalade and dump a bag of garbage on the sidewalk or people sitting on the malecon admiring the view and eating lunch and then getting up and leaving their garbage behind them

17. Likes Kipling333 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast