Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Lifestyles attempts to privatize Playa Cofresi

  1. #21
    Silver
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,154
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling333 View Post
    There must be some attractions for living on the north coast but it is hard to see from reading the constant reports here of problems in Sosua ,Atlantic beaches, all the murders reported by DV8 ,the road problems and the constant rain and closing of public beaches . Don't you all think it would be better living in Juan Dolio for example or in Bani .
    Not at all.

  2. #22
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    28,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i have been reading some working papers on retirement migration, and i am working on the notion that in 20 years there will be no public beaches left in this region, except in Cuba.

  3. #23
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling333 View Post
    There must be some attractions for living on the north coast but it is hard to see from reading the constant reports here of problems in Sosua ,Atlantic beaches, all the murders reported by DV8 ,the road problems and the constant rain and closing of public beaches . Don't you all think it would be better living in Juan Dolio for example or in Bani .
    Sosua is what it is. The type of sand on the beach is important for tourists. The murders seem higher because more expats live here than in most other parts of the country. The constant rain? Hmm. It's a tropical island. Are Juan Dolio and Bani desert environments? Closing of public beaches is going to happen everywhere over time - money changes everything here.

  4. #24
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    805
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They will never privatize the beaches here, they will try but I don't think the people would stand for it. It's their island and their beaches.

  5. Likes Kipling333, Caonabo liked this post
  6. #25
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipling333 View Post
    There must be some attractions for living on the north coast but it is hard to see from reading the constant reports here of problems in Sosua ,Atlantic beaches, all the murders reported by DV8 ,the road problems and the constant rain and closing of public beaches . Don't you all think it would be better living in Juan Dolio for example or in Bani .
    I would tend to agree with the two B's: Bani and Bayahibe, but everything in between would never be acceptable for the average expat or tourist. I can't speak of San Cristobal, but I assume it is too close to Santo Domingo, just as is the case with Boca Chica which has it's own specific problems, in being a shell of what it once was. Guayacanes and Juan Dolio are currently ghost towns. San Pedro and La Romana are large urban centers, and that then brings us to Casa de Campo.....which is another story in itself.
    I would tend to disagree in that the north has it's own special blend of tropical beauty which has drawn it's particular expat and tourist communities, which is world's apart from the south, and they would find it hard to adjust. Maybe the southwest or northeast, but then this causes logistical challenges with transportation and other amenities or comforts that some desire.
    Thirdly, it is also necessary to make mention of the all-empowering phenomenon of some already possessing their tucked away hideouts, so called paradises or nirvanas, that would detest the likes of swarming expats or tourists invading, and destroying life as it currently exists.

  7. #26
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monfongo View Post
    They will never privatize the beaches here, they will try but I don't think the people would stand for it. It's their island and their beaches.
    It can be done if all of the land around a beach is purchased. Then they could block access or charge for access. Think about the small beach that popped up in Sosua and the only access was through private property. People did not like that they were charged a fee to get to that beach, but there is nothing illegal about that fee in that situation since there was no other land access to the beach other than through private property.

  8. #27
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    28,097
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by monfongo View Post
    They will never privatize the beaches here, they will try but I don't think the people would stand for it. It's their island and their beaches.
    i repeat...in 20 years there will be no private beaches. forget the idea of their land, and their beach. the road between Santo Domingo and Samana is on their land, but the access to it is not free.

    it is called globalization, and its discontents.

  9. Dislikes monfongo disliked this post
  10. #28
    Poll's Forum Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    8,045
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Sosua is what it is. The type of sand on the beach is important for tourists. The murders seem higher because more expats live here than in most other parts of the country. The constant rain? Hmm. It's a tropical island. Are Juan Dolio and Bani desert environments? Closing of public beaches is going to happen everywhere over time - money changes everything here.

    The vegetation in the rural parts near Juan Dolio isn't as lush as in Puerto Plata, and in the vicinity of Bani the vegetation is similar to what is often seen in Monte Cristi. Even the mountain slopes look dull compare to Puerto Plata mountains. Not many royal palms growing wildly on those slopes near Bani. The Royal Palm needs plenty of rain to survive naturally and in large quantity.

    Moderator Polls Forum

  11. #29
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    23,774
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    The vegetation in the rural parts near Juan Dolio isn't as lush as in Puerto Plata, and in the vicinity of Bani the vegetation is similar to what is often seen in Monte Cristi. Even the mountain slopes look dull compare to Puerto Plata mountains. Not many royal palms growing wildly on those slopes near Bani. The Royal Palm needs plenty of rain to survive naturally and in large quantity.
    Juan Dolio and Bani sound like very un-scenic locations. I went once to the area now known as Bavaro/Punt Cana. It was really dull. Like Florida dull. Never had the urge to return to that part of the island.

  12. #30
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Sosua is what it is. The type of sand on the beach is important for tourists. The murders seem higher because more expats live here than in most other parts of the country. The constant rain? Hmm. It's a tropical island. Are Juan Dolio and Bani desert environments? Closing of public beaches is going to happen everywhere over time - money changes everything here.
    Actually, within certain areas of the southwest, more specifically beginning in Azua and continuing towards Barahona a semi-arid climate does exist, and cacti can be found in great quantity.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO