Certified legal translator German to Spanish on the north coast / Puerto Plata

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Looking for what the title says to translate something for migracion. Doesn't need to be even near Puerto Plata (preferred though), just would like to avoid a long trip if possible.

Thanks for any tips. Did try to search the forum but did not come up with a lot recent.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Lic. Felix Mercado: Abogados y traductores legales con sede en Puerto Plata. Servicios de traducción en los siguientes idiomas: Español, Inglés, Francés, alemán, holandés e italiano. Tel.: 809-261-0291. Cell.: 809-360-6018.
https://www.facebook.com/Lic-Felix-Mercado-825812930907297/

This guy is good

Matilda

Just following up on this one. I have spoken with migracion, and seems that only the translators listed on this page are allowed to translate documents for migracion. Translations provided by others, as per migracion, are not valid.

http://www.codij.org/interpretes-judiciales/

So based on that, the Lic. Felix Mercado is unfortunately not certified to work with migracion.

If someone has different information, feel free to share that. It was frustrating to speak with them, but have to do what they want of course...

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Just following up on this one. I have spoken with migracion, and seems that only the translators listed on this page are allowed to translate documents for migracion. Translations provided by others, as per migracion, are not valid.

http://www.codij.org/interpretes-judiciales/

Codij or the Dominican "Board of translators" is in fact a bill. It has been dismissed several times. If o
So based on that, the Lic. Felix Mercado is unfortunately not certified to work with migracion.

If someone has different information, feel free to share that. It was frustrating to speak with them, but have to do what they want of course...

Not true! The CODIJ or "Colegio Dominicano de Interpretes Judiciales" is just a bill. It was presented by a group of translators who formed an association, but It has been dismissed a couple of times already and has no legal authority or force.

If you want to know if someone is certified, look them up at the Supreme Court website, www.poderjudicial.gob.do

The section is called "auxiliares de la justicia", you can search for attorneys, translators, notaries, etc. You can search by name or last name. If they appear there, they're good!

http://www.poderjudicial.gob.do/consultas/consulta_aux_justicia/auxiliares_justicia.aspx

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
When you use a certified legal translator once they have translated the document, they take the original and their translation and go to the procuraduria to have their translation certified. They cannot do that unless they are certified legal translators which Felix is. Migracion talking out of their bottoms yet again.

Matilda

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Not true! The CODIJ or "Colegio Dominicano de Interpretes Judiciales" is just a bill. It was presented by a group of translators who formed an association, but It has been dismissed a couple of times already and has no legal authority or force.

If you want to know if someone is certified, look them up at the Supreme Court website, www.poderjudicial.gob.do

The section is called "auxiliares de la justicia", you can search for attorneys, translators, notaries, etc. You can search by name or last name. If they appear there, they're good!

http://www.poderjudicial.gob.do/consultas/consulta_aux_justicia/auxiliares_justicia.aspx

Thanks both!

I actually went and checked, and indeed this Felix can be found with the search on the site linked by Aguaita29.

When you use a certified legal translator once they have translated the document, they take the original and their translation and go to the procuraduria to have their translation certified. They cannot do that unless they are certified legal translators which Felix is. Migracion talking out of their bottoms yet again.

Matilda

That's interesting to know, I'm currently in contact with one person from the page migracion gave me, so I need to confirm that he would be able to do that, otherwise I will definitely ask this Felix.

I have no doubt you both are right and migracion.... less so... This is merely what they told me to do, and I have little interest/time to use more energy with them than I absolutely have to...

Thanks again, I realize now I need to be very careful to do things right and not waste too much time...

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Just following up on this again. I indeed used Lic. Felix Mercado, excellent and friendly service, and the "end-product" was happily accepted my migracion.

So indeed can confirm, that what they (migracion) told me initially was not correct at all, what Matilda and Aguaita29 said above, very true.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
So indeed can confirm, that what they (migracion) told me initially was not correct at all, what Matilda and Aguaita29 said above, very true.

I don't think it's Migración's fault. Someone could be pushing that list to make it seem that the people on it are the only ones.