Trip - Punta Cana Airport to Hato Meyor

tdaniels

Aug 7, 2016
I am looking for any advice on transportation logistics between PUJ and Hato Meyor.  I will be travelling for 5 days and am hoping to get some information for logistics:

1. I have a suitcase and am not sure how difficult it will be to use buses, I have been looking and the Apart Hotel Don Olivio - so my concern is how hard is it to get on a bus with a suitcase, and then travel within Hato Meyor as well 

2. How long a trip is it from PUJ to Hato Meyor approximately?

3. I have been travelling in the DR for 15 years and to date have never driven a car, which I am getting annoyed with myself, as I have travelled many places in the world and have always rented a car without hesitation.  I am not sure if this would be a bad idea for this trip to Hato Meyor or not, but am considering it as an option, any advice?  I was also going to wait as I spend time on the East Coast, Bavaro - Cap Cana area and was going to make the rental car experience for my next trip as the location is much closer. 

4. Is there a private transportation option that would not cost a fortune to get between the two locations?

I hope this is the right place for this post please direct me otherwise if not. 

Many thanks in advance for the help. 

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Hato Mayor is a little tricky to get to from Punta Cana by bus . There are two main options.You can take the many buses to Higuey and then go to El Seibo and from there to Hato Mayor ,,between Higuey and El Seibo they are mainly smaller gua guas with the occasional larger bus ,the latter having space for suitcases. The people on the guaguas often have many bags and sacks which they carry inside so I suppose a suitcase could fit .
The other alternative is to go from Punta Cana to San Francisco de Macoris in a large bus and some go to the city and some use the by pass. From there are many buses to Hato Mayor it is the main route from Hato Mayor .
If you were to rent a car the road from Punta Cana to Hato Mayor via Higuey and El Seibo is good to very good and has some glorious rustic scenery ,,the only really bad road in the entire region is between Sabana de la mar and Hato Mayor..it is a horror and probably much worse after H:Maria

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Hato Mayor is a little tricky to get to from Punta Cana by bus . There are two main options.You can take the many buses to Higuey and then go to El Seibo and from there to Hato Mayor ,,between Higuey and El Seibo they are mainly smaller gua guas with the occasional larger bus ,the latter having space for suitcases. The people on the guaguas often have many bags and sacks which they carry inside so I suppose a suitcase could fit .
The other alternative is to go from Punta Cana to San Francisco de Macoris in a large bus and some go to the city and some use the by pass. From there are many buses to Hato Mayor it is the main route from Hato Mayor .
If you were to rent a car the road from Punta Cana to Hato Mayor via Higuey and El Seibo is good to very good and has some glorious rustic scenery ,,the only really bad road in the entire region is between Sabana de la mar and Hato Mayor..it is a horror and probably much worse after H:Maria
Should be San Pedro de Macoris.
Apart from that, sound advice :)

Syork

Sep 5, 2004
Definitely rent a car- driving in the DR is not that hard-just drive defensively and aggressively at the same time!Make sure and check the vehicle over and take pictures of any damage before you sign anything. It will make your trip a lot more enjoyable and free up a lot of time you would spend looking for the bus station and waiting for the buses! Good luck!  Rick

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
... If you were to rent a car the road from Punta Cana to Hato Mayor via Higuey and El Seibo is good to very good and has some glorious rustic scenery ...

I remember that this route had a real big policeman lying down in the road, almost knee high, just before entering Hato Mayor. Keep an eye out for that!