Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Observations please... US Consulate

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Once again: Unless you have someone so influential that they can give an order to a USCIS official in the DR to approve a visa, which would be illegal and a corruption of the system, the visa is entirely on the person applying for it to prove they will return to the US. That decision is on one person, the person doing the interview.

2. Likes cavok, Caonabo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Expat13 View Post
    Maybe its the touche approach. The DR Residency has been a unreliable, changes year to year sham over the past 10 years. Temporary visa's, changed from a year to 5 years without notice and no grandfather clause, Permanent Residency is just a misused term as now I believe its only valid a year before you need to renewing. Sadly this effects your esposas but the way we are treated here seems far worse than what Trump or USA is doing to Dominicans.
    This has nothing to do with the DR's policy on residency and immigration. My situation goes back over 14 years. Identical to what is being discussed now.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

And those immigration officers are given wide lattitude and authority in making that decision. Plus, even with the tourist visa in your passport, the immigration officer at the point of entry, at his sole discretion, for whatever reason he deems valid, can deny entry to a visa holder.

5. Likes windeguy liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Immigration use to have (or still does??) a ombudsman. A friend of ours contacted them a few years ago and surprisingly was helpful. One would think you should be able to get a visa for your spouse. You can get residency for your spouse, you should be able to get a visa. Unfortunately dealing with immigration is a crap shoot, one never knows. Wish you well.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by keepcoming View Post
    Immigration use to have (or still does??) a ombudsman. A friend of ours contacted them a few years ago and surprisingly was helpful. One would think you should be able to get a visa for your spouse. You can get residency for your spouse, you should be able to get a visa. Unfortunately dealing with immigration is a crap shoot, one never knows. Wish you well.
    I gotta tell ya, I can't shake the feeling we are doing something wrong, (or should I say, there's something we're not doing right?)

8. Likes bienamor liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

JD
    if we is the US state department then yes, if we is you and your wife then no
    I was once told by a state department type here that the consulate is self supporting, in other words pay your $160 and roll the dice. An hope the interviewer male or female either got some last night or at the very least did not **** off the opposite sex they were with and cause a fight.

10. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    I gotta tell ya, I can't shake the feeling we are doing something wrong, (or should I say, there's something we're not doing right?)
    I had that feeling as well until I realized how hard it is for a US citizen to get a Dominican spouse a visitor's visa. I felt offended and worse until I finally understood the futility of it.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    I over the years have been asked to write a letter of invitation to someone from Peru, Colombia, Mexico, Panama Ecuador and Honduras and probably a couple more . They all "know" that if they have a letter of invitation from an American they can easily get to the USA. But though I have done it probably 20 times it has never done any good at all.
    These days, invitation letters from friends or relatives in the US are useless. Even for Canadian tourist visas, where they do take them into account, the visa applicant must be able to have his/her own funds and be able to qualify for himself. If you say you'll pay for all of your guest's expenses, including plane ticket, that's not a good thing.
    The only case where I heard this to be different is for a supervisa for parents, but this is a different type of visa.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678