Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Observations please... US Consulate

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Observations please... US Consulate

and I'll appreciate if comments about age difference or gold digging are avoided. However, if you can't help it, I'll understand.

As most of you know, I remarried last year. My wife is a devoutly Christian girl (the whole family is for that matter)

We did both the civil and religious ceremonies.

We went through the VISA process back in July, and she was rejected but told to apply again. She was told by the interviewer that she had no reason to return if she went to the states.

We applied again and she went for her second interview yesterday and was rejected again, and was told nothing has changed and to wait a little longer and apply again.

Both times, she told them in the interview that she is married to and lives with a U.S. Citizen who has lived on the island for 4 decades and is the manager of a Free Zone business. She owns a house with her mother in La Romana.

She (we) have sufficient money in the bank. She has a car. She told them we only want to go to the states for a family reunion so she can meet everyone.

Seems like a slam dunk, right? Anything but.

Of course they don't tell you why.

Here are some possible mitigating circumstances.

I was married to a Dominican previously and she received a visa back in 2000 after 2 months of marriage.

We had an age difference of 28 yrs, and were divorced in 2010.

My current partner and I have an age difference of 32 years and we were married in Dec of last year.

Would anyone like to suggest what may be holding her back?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

.....New administration in Washington D.C........

3. Likes alhasdo, carlos, Hector L liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I take it you are looking for a visitor's visa for your Dominican wife? I had also applied twice for a visitor's visa and was denied. I don't think the new administration has anything to do with this specific set of circumstances.

Then I found out that it is rare (as in almost impossible) to get visitor's visas for spouses of US citizens. I went through the process of getting her US residency. We made a number of trips to the US after she got residency, but did not spend enough time there and her residency would have been removed. At the advice of people from the US Embassy, before her residency was pulled, we turned in her residency for a 10 year visitor's visa and have been using that to visit the US from time to time.

That is what you might also have to do if the policy is the same as it was when I was trying to get my wife visitor's visas. What is holding her back from a visitor's visa is that a US citizen is married to her.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

JD, I'd suggest you talk to D-mo at dominicanstotheusa.com. He's very sharp on these matters and is always helpful with issues such as you are experiencing. Good Luck.

6. Likes AnnaC, frank12 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thinking outloud, is your first wife in the DR?
    Moderator Visa forums
    www.DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I take it you are looking for a visitor's visa for your Dominican wife? I had also applied twice for a visitor's visa and was denied. I don't think the new administration has anything to do with this specific set of circumstances.

Then I found out that it is rare (as in almost impossible) to get visitor's visas for spouses of US citizens. I went through the process of getting her US residency. We made a number of trips to the US after she got residency, but did not spend enough time there and her residency would have been removed. At the advice of people from the US Embassy, before her residency was pulled, we turned in her residency for a 10 year visitor's visa and have been using that to visit the US from time to time.

That is what you might also have to do if the policy is the same as it was when I was trying to get my wife visitor's visas. What is holding her back from a visitor's visa is that a US citizen is married to her.

We're trying for the B1/B2, which is the same VISA my previous spouse received. Am I to understand that's not what we want?

When one goes through the process on the website, they present the different circumstances that define what type of VISA one should solicit, and B1/B2 is what they recommend.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaC View Post
    Thinking outloud, is your first wife in the DR?
    No, she has remarried and is living in Italy. I believe her B1/B2 VISA is still active for another few years.

10. Likes AnnaC liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstarebel View Post
    JD, I'd suggest you talk to D-mo at dominicanstotheusa.com. He's very sharp on these matters and is always helpful with issues such as you are experiencing. Good Luck.
    Thank you. I will pursue that option. I appreciate your contribution.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    No, she has remarried and is living in Italy. I believe her B1/B2 VISA is still active for another few years.
    I suggest the website above as well. Good luck
    Moderator Visa forums
    www.DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaC View Post
    I suggest the website above as well. Good luck
    Thank you as always Anna.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast