Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marrying Dominican as a dual citizenship and starting Visa Process

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PICHARDO View Post
    Nope!
    No need for a lawyer in the DR, no need for a lawyer in the US!
    The DHS has made great changes to how things work for simple cases like theirs here.
    Also the support thingy you are not correct! It’s correct that he MUST file as the principal party, but he can also add another party as extended support. They need not be even related by blood!

Like I posted, he needs to file a support form even if he doesn’t meet the income threshold and add another party for that.
    That’s why a lot of applications get denied, they don’t follow the perfectly laid out instructions by USCIS...

Let’s not confuse the young folks’
    Not a good idea!

Going to the US on a tourist visa with the intent to get married is VISA FRAUD! Yes, some people have gotten away with scamming the system like this and managed to pull this off. Others have not been so lucky . If caught, the OP's wife will probably never be approved for any kind of visa ever again.

As far as sponsors go, I was referring to the primary/direct sponsor. Yes, a friend can be a joint sponsor with a US citizen who is petitioning an immediate relative or spouse in this case.

The OP had questions regarding the marriage here in the DR and immigration to the US. I suggest that he consult with a lawyer to get answers to those questions. He does not need a lawyer for the entire process.

I think the K-1 visa is probably the best option for the OP. Another good reason to consult with an attorney. We don't know all the details of their particular case.

Let's not give the young folks very risky advice that could ruin their future together in the US.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the posts guys. As of right now we are only focusing on the marriage part and once my finances are better the application process will begin. My GF's uncle is a lawyer and I do have a friend who is a lawyer (both from cotui area), so at least they're not charging in just explaining the procedures to me. My main concern with any visa process is getting rejected and then I'd be out of money for that. I basically want it the first go around, but all I can do is hope. My mom went the k1 visa route back to get my dad to the US in the early 90s after his student visa expired. That got rejected, so they married in the DR instead. I've asked him for advice on this, but since it was so long ago and more thank likely processes have changed, that I don't know if he's much help haha. Me and my gf are both in our 20s with her almost finished with school and basically we just want to be more financially stable and focus on our future together in a place with better opportunities for both of us. Maybe I should sign up for next season of 90 day fiance haha..yeah right.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    Not a good idea!

Going to the US on a tourist visa with the intent to get married is VISA FRAUD! Yes, some people have gotten away with scamming the system like this and managed to pull this off. Others have not been so lucky . If caught, the OP's wife will probably never be approved for any kind of visa ever again.

As far as sponsors go, I was referring to the primary/direct sponsor. Yes, a friend can be a joint sponsor with a US citizen who is petitioning an immediate relative or spouse in this case.

The OP had questions regarding the marriage here in the DR and immigration to the US. I suggest that he consult with a lawyer to get answers to those questions. He does not need a lawyer for the entire process.

I think the K-1 visa is probably the best option for the OP. Another good reason to consult with an attorney. We don't know all the details of their particular case.

Let's not give the young folks very risky advice that could ruin their future together in the US.
    Good advice, with the exception of the K-1 visa (if that's the fiancée visa). I think two Dominicans can get married in less than a week for a couple thousand pesos if all they're after is the status (marital). In the US, unless they go to Vegas (which would still be more troublesome than LRD), they'll be jumping through hoops for months all the time dishing out Benjamins, and there's no guarantee there'll be any payoff on applying for the visa in the first place. If they're married already the only reasons for rejection are criminal activity, inability to prove a real marriage (not likely unless it is an arranged marriage of convenience), and no affidavit of support.

Quote Originally Posted by suarezj519 View Post
    Thanks for the posts guys. As of right now we are only focusing on the marriage part and once my finances are better the application process will begin. My GF's uncle is a lawyer and I do have a friend who is a lawyer (both from cotui area), so at least they're not charging in just explaining the procedures to me. My main concern with any visa process is getting rejected and then I'd be out of money for that. I basically want it the first go around, but all I can do is hope. My mom went the k1 visa route back to get my dad to the US in the early 90s after his student visa expired. That got rejected, so they married in the DR instead. I've asked him for advice on this, but since it was so long ago and more thank likely processes have changed, that I don't know if he's much help haha. Me and my gf are both in our 20s with her almost finished with school and basically we just want to be more financially stable and focus on our future together in a place with better opportunities for both of us. Maybe I should sign up for next season of 90 day fiance haha..yeah right.
    You're on the right track. The highest hurdle you have is the affidavit of support (I think they call it I-181), and that is not very hard. You'll know before you send in the application if you've cleared it. It's hard to have a job without clearing that hurdle so get one.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wuarhat View Post
    Good advice, with the exception of the K-1 visa (if that's the fiancée visa). I think two Dominicans can get married in less than a week for a couple thousand pesos if all they're after is the status (marital). In the US, unless they go to Vegas (which would still be more troublesome than LRD), they'll be jumping through hoops for months all the time dishing out Benjamins, and there's no guarantee there'll be any payoff on applying for the visa in the first place. If they're married already the only reasons for rejection are criminal activity, inability to prove a real marriage (not likely unless it is an arranged marriage of convenience), and no affidavit of support.

You're on the right track. The highest hurdle you have is the affidavit of support (I think they call it I-181), and that is not very hard. You'll know before you send in the application if you've cleared it. It's hard to have a job without clearing that hurdle so get one.
    Yes, a K-1 is a fiancee visa. From what you say it does sound like getting married as Dominicans is the way to go and the OP said he wanted to do everything in one shot, so the K-1 probably isn't for him.

However, a friend of mine recently married his GF from Chile. His lawyer recommend he get the K-1 for who knows what reason(?). Every situation is different.

Most of what you have to do for a spousal visa is done when applying for the K-1 visa. It takes less time to get a K-1 than a CR1 or an Ir1, but it also costs more since you have to apply for an adjustment of status after getting married.

His fiancee brought the required documents for the marriage with her and, one month after she arrived in the US, they were married. That part was no problem for them anyway.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wuarhat View Post
    Sounds like nonsense to me. Given the OP's stated intentions this sounds like what is considered a fraudulent visa application. The US Department of State would not be positively impressed if they sniffed it out, nor would there be any significant gains for assuming this risk. suarezj519 if indeed you have decided to marry you are on the right track. Based on my experience marrying her in LRD would be much easier and less expensive, especially if both are Dominican citizens. I know that the only thing I did with my marriage certificate in the USA was forward a copy to State to prove our status. I think if you frequent LRD the easiest thing to do would be go to a courthouse and ask what they want or, if not, just have your fiancée go and ask what two Dominicans need to marry. From what I've seen, I think two cedulas (one each) will do it.
    I know that seven years ago my wife's Dominican uncle married a Dominican woman with US permanent residence in a Santo Domingo courthouse, as Dominicans, and the only hurdle to getting him a visa was the affidavit of support. If you have dual citizenship I don't think their is any crime in using the benefits that either affords you. However, if you can get some professional consultation at a reasonable rate do it.
    I was going to say the same thing about a fraudulent visa application by going the route PICHARDO suggested.. Hmmm.

It may indeed get harder for family members to be allowed into the US. It really is about time that the US started to set requirements that give precedence to people who will be productive and not just everyone's family member once one of them gets residency.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12