Who's our resident egg expert?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I bought a flat of 30 Endy eggs last Sunday at Jumbo

We're about halfway through the flat, and every single egg has the yolk attached to the shell and the white is thicker than molasses.

They taste fine, I'm just wondering what causes that condition? Old eggs maybe?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hmm... you don't look like an egg guy, Windy. Thanks for the obvious.

The only old eggs I have had smelled like, um, rotten eggs. I have never run across eggs as you found them to be. And yes, eggs are popular at winde's house.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Do the Cartons in the DR have the Julian Date as well as the " use by " date, as they do in the USA.. ?

The Julian date is the one you want to look for
Its the PICKED date , and so you want it to be as recent as possible.
( and NO I did not google that... lmao.. you guys are hysterical with the google knowledge)

Jan 17, 2009

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My wife (who gets sick from everything) explains that the washing process in other countries destroys the protective natural coating.

I don't bother to quarrel... not an issue...
buy eggs, eat them soon.... buy more

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I had a hard time at first seeing eggs not refrigerated in DR...

I always learned eggs shouldn't be refrigerated. At least I don't know any supermarket in the netherlands or Belgium that has them refrigerated. We even here have them outside the fridge..

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The only old eggs I have had smelled like, um, rotten eggs. I have never run across eggs as you found them to be. And yes, eggs are popular at winde's house.

My house too, Windy. They are one of the only 4-5 things my wife will eat. (rice, corn flakes, platanos, bread, but that's another thread in itself)

It's the first time I encountered this with Endy eggs. I always buy the Premiums.

The last flat I got was all double yolks. There's something weird going on over at Endy.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
My wife (who gets sick from everything) explains that the washing process in other countries destroys the protective natural coating.

I don't bother to quarrel... not an issue...
buy eggs, eat them soon.... buy more

Your wife is correct. In the USA they wash the eggs which takes off the protective coating so that bacteria can enter hence they have to be refrigerated. They do not have to be refrigerated here nor in the UK.
To the OP when I buy eggs from the colmado, which isn't often as we have chickens laying eggs, I have recently found the same thing with yolks sticking to the shells - but it is only over the last couple of months. They taste fine but no good for dippy fried eggs as the yolk breaks when you open them into the frying pan. So will stick with eggs from our hens - even though you have to wash the poo off the shells.

Matilda

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
My house too, Windy. They are one of the only 4-5 things my wife will eat. (rice, corn flakes, platanos, bread, but that's another thread in itself)

It's the first time I encountered this with Endy eggs. I always buy the Premiums.

The last flat I got was all double yolks. There's something weird going on over at Endy.

And she still is healthy? 

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
to test the freshness.....
place egg in glass of water, if it sinks to the bottom its still good. If it floats its gone bad.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
What the OP describes has happened to me if my fridge temp is too high.  It's usually frozen inside and you get that thick weird consistency on the egg whites.

I've had that happen in DR.  

I can't bring myself to leave eggs out at room temperature there, even though I know most do.  Old habits die hard

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Your wife is correct. In the USA they wash the eggs which takes off the protective coating so that bacteria can enter hence they have to be refrigerated. They do not have to be refrigerated here nor in the UK.
To the OP when I buy eggs from the colmado, which isn't often as we have chickens laying eggs, I have recently found the same thing with yolks sticking to the shells - but it is only over the last couple of months. They taste fine but no good for dippy fried eggs as the yolk breaks when you open them into the frying pan. So will stick with eggs from our hens - even though you have to wash the poo off the shells.

Matilda

Oddly enough? My wife and I talked about eggs this PM and the problem of having eggs over easy with the yokes not broken when turned. We have changed "brands" but still have the same problem with yokes that break. I remembered this thread so now my 2 pesos.

Matilda is correct. NON washed eggs have a natural protection that don't need to be refrigerated. Once washed they need to be. I'll watch to see if the yokes are connected to the shell that causes the problem.

But I don't understand is why all the eggs are: Either old or have a yoke/shell defect that has taken over the whole egg industry? Come to think of it? Peeling boiled eggs has also been more difficult.

Big panic at my place? Nahh. Just a little annoying.