Charter flight from POP to Port Au Prince?

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Some friends and I (2-3) are thinking of flying to Port Au Prince from POP on the first week of November and maybe chartering a small plane to take us. Has anyone done this before??  Curious of prices and does anyone have contacts with a company or individual  who can do this?  

The owner of Southeby’s in Cabarete has a nice plane, but he just had eye surgery (jijiji, don’t think he is the one) but any info would be great. Anyone wants to join us, we could get a bigger plane? 

Thanks,

singletravel 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In a general sense, when you choose to defy gravity, it is a game of odds. With large commercial airlines the odds favor the airline and by proxy you too. With lesser airlines or private individuals, the spread of getting to and from your destination is not as clear. The best of intentions basically means flying by the seat of your pants in some cases.

I know of a recent private flight to Haiti and back that didn't make it and we lost all on board. The DR is not the US with respect to standards, inspections and mechanic competencies. While no pilot expects to encounter difficulties either mechanical or due to lack of skill, these situations do occur with more frequency with regional carriers and private aircraft. Here in the DR for several reasons I choose not to fly around the island unless i have no other choice. I certainly wouldn't fly for a junket to Haiti. I may be lucky enough to survive a traffic accident in a car or a bus, but the odds of me walking away from a plunge from 8000 feet or hitting something in a small private plane are not good.

Remember where you are as you choose how to best accomplish what you wish to do. Have a safe trip.

Jan 17, 2009
On October 17th if I remember correctly will be a year that we lost Chuck and Candy Ritzen, and a young Canadian guy in a small plane crash on the ocean, just a few miles from the POP airport.  Maybe it was pilot error, maybe it was equipment issues, maybe it was just the weather.  We will never know.

I know accidents happen, but still, if I had to do this trip, I'd do it by bus or car, or don't do it at all.   

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Yes, I remember that, also many years ago a commercial flight down off POP. But coming home this week from Sosua to Cabarete around 10 PM, all traffic was stopped. As we crept by, two dead cows and and wrecked car. 30 minutes earlier it could have been me. Dark night and cows, as stupid as it sounds, are more dangerous. Its like the price we pay to live in paradise ....

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Send a P.M. to Beeza, a member on DR1. He does private flights and is an aircraft engineer. Should be safe enough whatever the doom-mongers here say.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Send a P.M. to Beeza, a member on DR1. He does private flights and is an aircraft engineer. Should be safe enough whatever the doom-mongers here say.
I agree you can always listen to the Debbie Downers

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Beeza is the best option. Either him or his father, Rex, can fly you down there. PM me for their numbers