How to send a letter to the Dominican Republic

Oct 15, 2017
Hello to all :) I just made an account to ask this, as I am very confused with the international mailing system...

I am trying to send a letter to my boyfriend, who lives in Los Minas in Santo Domingo- I am not too sure if a letter would even go through. I live in Boston, MA. Can someone explain the process, and is the Dominican Mailing System/whatever sends it genuinely trustworthy? I do know the format in which what the letter has to be send

First name and Last name -
Street and # -
City -Vietnam, Los Mina
Country -Republica Dominicana or Dominican Republic

But I am completely confused about how to actually have it get there and the different ways of how to have it arrive.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Dominican postal service and delivery are "iffy".  Can take weeks, months or never arrive.  Ask him if he has a mail forwarder in Miami (many Dominicans do, especially in SD), or if it's important use Fedex

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
It really depends where the person lives. In some cities and provinces, the mail works really well, in others, it doesn't. If your bf has no idea, he could go to the his nearest post office and tell them to hold his mail so he can come over to pick it up personally.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
What ever you do ... DO NOT send any money this way as the chances of him getting it will drop to less than zero if there is money involved.

Bob K

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Dominican postal service and delivery are "iffy".  Can take weeks, months or never arrive.  Ask him if he has a mail forwarder in Miami (many Dominicans do, especially in SD), or if it's important use Fedex

Fedex charges only $121 to send an envelope from USA to Puerto Pata. Use them if oyu absolutely have to have that package. Otherwise there are companies who charge 2 or 4 dollars on top uf the uSA postage toget it to Miami. But it took one of those 4 months to get my bank card from Miami to Puerto Plata. Meanwhile i had cancelled it and been to Florida and picked up a new one!
Der Fish

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Nothing having to do with money, it would just be a letter with a couple of small pictures inside...

The simplest option since you live in Boston with a big Dominican population, ask any Dominican if he has a relative flying anytime soon, they will take your envelope.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Hello to all :) I just made an account to ask this, as I am very confused with the international mailing system...

I am trying to send a letter to my boyfriend, who lives in Los Minas in Santo Domingo- I am not too sure if a letter would even go through. I live in Boston, MA. Can someone explain the process, and is the Dominican Mailing System/whatever sends it genuinely trustworthy? I do know the format in which what the letter has to be send

Street and # -
City -Vietnam, Los Mina

But I am completely confused about how to actually have it get there and the different ways of how to have it arrive.

Have an extra print of the pictures, just in case and send it by registered mail. They take that serious here.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
First I think It's Vietnan not Vietnam unless the postal code is wrong

Street and # -
City -Vietnan, Los Mina
Codigo Postal 11902

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Using the "postal service" here is useless. Whenever I am dealing with a company in the US and they tell me they will send me whatever in the mail I tell them to save the postage and just take the envelope to the roof of their building and throw it off the roof. It will have the same chance of reaching me as the postal service and they save the postage :)

Bob K

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Using the "postal service" here is useless. Whenever I am dealing with a company in the US and they tell me they will send me whatever in the mail I tell them to save the postage and just take the envelope to the roof of their building and throw it off the roof. It will have the same chance of reaching me as the postal service and they save the postage :)

Bob K

...I second that......never seen a mail box on a building, or a postal worker in Santiago.... been to the big post office on Del Sol street....totally empty, no mail , no postal workers, bringing things on the plane....good idea..........