Cheap used guitar (acoustic)

vjsingh

Oct 15, 2017
Hey all,

Just moved to Santiago. Anyone know where I could look for a cheap used guitar? Hoping for a classical acoustic, nothing too fancy. I found some decent new ones at La Sirena but figured I'd look for a used one first.

Thanks,

Varun

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
vjsingh, if that does not work out for you, there are numerous options to purchase on line and have shipped directly to you. The one guitar type I don't have is a nylon stringed classical guitar type, but they are certainly available here.

For example, I have purchased from Kurt at Rondo Music at the advice of others and been pleased with the products he sells. Here is an example of an acoustic nylon string classical guitar:

http://www.rondomusic.com/product8424.html

vjsingh

Oct 15, 2017
Try the Everything Santiago Facebook group.

Thanks, I will try posting on the FB group.

vjsingh, if that does not work out for you, there are numerous options to purchase on line and have shipped directly to you. The one guitar type I don't have is a nylon stringed classical guitar type, but they are certainly available here.

For example, I have purchased from Kurt at Rondo Music at the advice of others and been pleased with the products he sells. Here is an example of an acoustic nylon string classical guitar:

Rondomusic doesn't seem like a great option. It's a shop in the US right? Shipping here was $150 for a $50 acoustic guitar, unless I did something wrong.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks, I will try posting on the FB group.

Rondomusic doesn't seem like a great option. It's a shop in the US right? Shipping here was $150 for a $50 acoustic guitar, unless I did something wrong.

Ah. Here is the issue. Instead of having them ship directly to the DR (VERY expensive with UPS, FEDEX, etc) , you set up an account with Encargopaq, CPS, or EPS or one of the Dominican freight forwarders located in the Miami, FL area. Then you have your items such as this guitar sent to Miami and they bring them in to the DR. MUCH cheaper way to bring items into the DR. By ocean freight that guitar would probably be about $20 US to bring in using that method. By Air about $40 US. I use Encargopaq and have multiple shipments of items from the US per month.

vjsingh

Oct 15, 2017
Hey all, I ended up finding a great cheap Palmer acoustic on Mercado Libre for 2800 RD. Thanks for the help

Ah. Here is the issue. Instead of having them ship directly to the DR (VERY expensive with UPS, FEDEX, etc) , you set up an account with Encargopaq, CPS, or EPS or one of the Dominican freight forwarders located in the Miami, FL area. Then you have your items such as this guitar sent to Miami and they bring them in to the DR. MUCH cheaper way to bring items into the DR. By ocean freight that guitar would probably be about $20 US to bring in using that method. By Air about $40 US. I use Encargopaq and have multiple shipments of items from the US per month.

Thanks, that is great advice about shipping. Will keep in mind if I need to ship anything else out here

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
More info on Palmer, based in Florida, only resells wholesale Indonesian (and maybe other Asian) guitars to music stores including Danilo Music on Santo Domingo.

vjsingh

Oct 15, 2017
Thanks, that's interesting info on the Palmer guitars. We are only here for 6 months, so it seemed like a good option. Honestly, it sounds great, I was surprised. Would never have thought it was a $60 guitar. Hope your grandson enjoys his guitar as well