Cibao or North Coast mechanic

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Looking for a mechanic who can do a engine rebuild or close to one that is meticulous and thorough for my car ( it is a semi classic model....well for me it is ) parts would be supplied by me I just do not have time to undertake this project ( work ).

This is probably/could be an impossible feat but if anyone has suggestions it would be most appreciated.

Thanks O.S.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There is a garage - POP side of Sosua with a qualified mechanic.....
we talked about him

I'll try to find but another may have it readily available

BMW type guy......

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
A guy in Moncion rebuilt my 1988 Jeep (is that classic?). He loves what he does and does a great job. Trained in Germany although he is Dominican. If you want his number pm me.

Matilda

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I have a mechanic I trust in Santiago. Might be a bit far but if you are interested send me a PM and I'd be glad to make the introduction.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Greg, from Greg's Garage in Sosua. A certified British mechanic with the papers to prove it. He was also a mechanic in the British army as well. Knows his stuff.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
Thanks for all the responses....much appreciated

I had heard of a mechanic close to the Puerto Chiquita area ( this would be this Greg person if I understand some of your responses correctly ).

Do you think he would have trouble or want to work on an American vehicle ?

Not that I am not grateful for the other suggestions but I'm not sure if a German mechanic would want to work on a American vehicle.

Thanks O.S.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
It was a Suzuki I took to him...

He works on anything , as far as I know

Call to verify if you're concerned

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I had heard of a mechanic close to the Puerto Chiquita area ( this would be this Greg person if I understand some of your responses correctly ).

Not that I am not grateful for the other suggestions but I'm not sure if a German mechanic would want to work on a American vehicle.

Thanks O.S.

That does sound like Greg. He is on the other side of the highway and you take a left before you reach the main entrance of Puerto Chiquita. I think that area is called Los Castillos. Greg mentioned he used to be a Road Rally car mechanic in the EU. He will work on whatever you pay him and his guys to do.

809 571-1998 work
809 917 8824 mobile

http://ws.greggarage.com/greggarage.com/ website

Greg's Garage
#8, Calle 4, Los Castillios
Sosúa, Puerto Plata, República Dominicana

e-mail: info@greggarage.com

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
While we're on the subject, who is (or was) the German/Swiss guy who had a shop by the bridge on the way to PP from Sosua? The guy with the brewery setup at the front of the property.

He did the motor on my tractor I found in pieces on my farm. Did an incredible job on it.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Thanks O.S.

Greg is the English mecanic I understand. Klaus is the german, specialized in Land Rover and all 4x4's.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
While we're on the subject, who is (or was) the German/Swiss guy who had a shop by the bridge on the way to PP from Sosua? The guy with the brewery setup at the front of the property.

He did the motor on my tractor I found in pieces on my farm. Did an incredible job on it.

He machined a motorcycle head once for us, but I don't recall his name. His wife told us, "Tell him what you want and then leave him alone." No idea if he is still active.

And the sad story of the brew pub that never was. His partner screwed him - that hardly ever happens here.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
He machined a motorcycle head once for us, but I don't recall his name. His wife told us, "Tell him what you want and then leave him alone." No idea if he is still active.

And the sad story of the brew pub that never was. His partner screwed him - that hardly ever happens here.

Ha! What memories. She told me the same thing.

He and I connected a bit by the time he was finished with my engine block, but a gruff guy indeed.

is all those brass tanks still there? They came out of Santo Domingo's first brewery pub back in the Eighties.

There's one for you. A guy opened the pub and a Miami Sub next to it. I never saw something go down the drain so fast in my life.

I wouldn't be surprised if those tanks are back in SD being used by one of our Micro Breweries.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The tanks are long gone. His partner failed to pay for them with the money he gave him and they were taken out . Repossessed as I understand it. That is what his wife told me.