The Book Nook (??) book store, Sosua ... Open ???

Mopar man

Oct 27, 2015
Good day to all,

I am starting to pack my bags for my winter sojourn in the sun .... In past years I have used the little book shop located in the plaza behind the bar called The Checkpoint, the book shop is called the 'The Book Nook' I think ??

The shop has been a life saver and the couple that run it are nice folks. Can anyone tell me if the book shop is still operating, or do I have to bring a extra suitcase of paperback's ??? :-( :-(

If anyone has any other suggestions for a source of english language reading material I would appreciate it. In years gone by I have visited the small library at the Reading Room (???) in PP, and another small local bookshop located near the Caribe Tours station in PP.

OK, thank you ... I am looking forward to returning to the sun and heat !!!!
Cheers to all

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was there not too long ago, maybe two months? it was open and fully stocked. lovely man running the business, very helpful.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I think the last time I went by, there was a sign in the window “Sorry, we are only accepting paperbacks. No more hardcovers.”
(Or something to that effect?)

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Limited hours,- tho the sign says 10-2 it was 12-2 when I was there a few weeks ago.  The lady who runs it was ill or had an accident and her friend is trying to keep it up for her.  
I have have an reader for years but still enjoy paper books

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
We are also preparing to come down for several months and was wondering if the book nook was going to be open? Last winter they were closed for a while. Does anyone have their phone number? Or email address? Or perhaps contact info for the Checkpoint?

Fraggle2

Dec 21, 2014
If the Book Nook is not open try the free book shelves in Fraggle Rock Bar, the selection isn't bad and changes as people "swap" their book.  Not nearly as many books as The Book Nook but open from 10.00am every day.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Carl Hackman, a newly published writer himself, is currently manning the Book Nook as far as I know.

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
I was there today.Carl is no longer managing it. Another person is there only 12-2 Tuesdays & Thursdays until the end of the month when Mick and his wife return from Scotland. Hoping regular hours will resume upon their return and happy to learn Fraggle Rock is an alternative.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I am a paper and ink man myself but would e-reading be a solution?

My solution to the reading addiction is I have a Samsung Tablet and have installed Nook on it. Nook is Barnes and Noble's ereader. One can read without a light on so any other person in bed is not disturbed, also Barnes and Noble has over a million free downloads. It is a lot less cumbersome than a hard cover book which is difficult to keep open and at the right page while drifting off to sleep. If one doesn't turn the page every fifteen minutes it shuts off automatically. Just don't drop it on the concrete floor. Did that cracked the screen $40.00 to repair it!
I download a dozen freebies a month, if by chance i happen to get something I don't wanna read such as about vampires and or were wolves I just stop after a page or two since i paid nothing for it. Just to balance things out I buy a book or two each month.
Der Fish

Mopar man

Oct 27, 2015
OK, good stuff !! Thanks to all of you who took the time to pass on helpful information, I appreciate it.

I have thought of the 'e-reader' route in the past , but I to am a old school ink and paper person. I scold myself regularly now for the amount of time I spend staring at a 'screen' .... :-( :-(

I'll bring along a couple extra paper backs and cross my fingers for the Book Nook.

Cheers to all, I'll be down in a week and am looking forward to seeing the old town again after missing last winter there ...