Question about Puerto Plata City Tour

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
We are headed to Puerto Plata next week for a family wedding and I have never had to worry about the touristy things before as my Dominican husband handled the best sites to see! His family is in Gaspar Hernandez so a little too far out of the area to be available for what I'm looking for (yes of course we will see them but just don't want to have to use them for taxi service).

My 17 year old nephew wants to do the tour with me - Cable cars, brugal factory, Fort San Felipe and amber museum. We are not interested in the cigar factory or the "shopping" they take you on...but would love the chance to get to La Sirena instead. Are there economical options for this picking & choosing version of the city tour?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You can make your own tour. Lots of taxi drivers and transportation facilitators are available near the resorts. You should have no difficulty hiring a vehicle and driver who speaks passable English for a 1/2 or full day tour around Puerto Plate going anywhere you want for as long as you want.

Negotiate hard for the price of the car and driver as this excursion will not include entrance fees for places like the Amber museum as the formal tour would. If you take the per person cost for the tour into account, you should be able to go for the same amount of time privately and still have some change left over.

Speak to the concierge at your hotel as a first step and see what they recommend. It's really difficult to stand outside a resort and not be approached and asked if you need transportation.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I did it when I was driving my pirate taxi for $50.00 for the day. I took as many as 7 people for that $50.00 And that usually included a trip out to Maimon for a marisco lunch. Didn't include price wise, no, but we'd go far enuff so they could see the port and the cruise ships and slide on down to have fresh fish for lunch. Don't want to miss the 27 waterfalls, but not as part of the same trip. That is stuffing too much into one day.
Der Fish

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
hah, wish you were still doing your pirate taxi Derfish! Just strange for me as this is the first trip ever without my Dominican husband whose work prevents him from joining us for this wedding -- we'll be back at Christmas anyway. But want to show the nephew, who is actually interested and excited, a little bit of what he has been researching about Puerto Plata. I'll see how good my negotiation skills are!! Thank you both!