Recycling in Santiago

vjsingh

Oct 15, 2017
Hi all,

Anyone know if there is a way to recycle here in Santiago? Glass (beer bottles), metal, paper, plastic, etc.

Search there forum but couldn't find anything from the last 5 years. Hoping the situation has changed from what I saw.

Thanks

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
unless you have really large quantities the best way for you to recycle anything is to place bottles, plastic and metal scraps in a box and leave it next to your rubbish bin. there are plenty of people who live off that.

there are places that buy recyclable glass bottles, sometimes the very same botellero will also buy plastic. there are also metal scrap yards that buy metals from individuals and resell it further.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
When I ran a bar in Puerto Plata there was a guy who stopped by and gave us a little for each empty beer bottle. Don't remember how much, but was very little, but he came and collected them PM me if you want the phone number of someone who would know for sure.
Der Fish

vjsingh

Oct 15, 2017
When I ran a bar in Puerto Plata there was a guy who stopped by and gave us a little for each empty beer bottle. Don't remember how much, but was very little, but he came and collected them PM me if you want the phone number of someone who would know for sure.
Der Fish

Can't PM you yet, I only have 5 posts :)

Please send me the phone number if you can. I live in Santiago. Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
VJ!!! When did you leave the PGA?? Oh my!!

Yes VJ, there is a recycling center in Santiago. it is out on the Hispañola road past the Centro Español...I can probably find their number if need be. I "think" their name is Reciladora del Cibao, but not 100% sure.

HB

vjsingh

Oct 15, 2017
VJ!!! When did you leave the PGA?? Oh my!!

Yes VJ, there is a recycling center in Santiago. it is out on the Hispañola road past the Centro Español...I can probably find their number if need be. I "think" their name is Reciladora del Cibao, but not 100% sure.

HB

haha! Taking a break from my pro golfing rounds to spend some time in Santiago =)

Thanks. Reciladora del Cibao seems to be the right name. It looks like they take paper and plastics, and it is also a bit far outside the city. We don't have a car unfortunately.

Would really appreciate any other ideas for recycling. We can try to leave some glass and metal out but I'm not sure if anyone collects in our neighborhood. Perhaps the best bet would be to find a shop that will take our glass bottles at the very least.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
even regular garbage trucks collect some recyclables. here in PP most go around town with large rice sacks attached to the side for glass bottles and piles of plastic gallon bottles held with a rope.
generally, the bottles taken by a botellero are of limited type: rum and beer. if you are thinking about wine, oil, vinegar and whatnot then it's likely to be a no no.
if you insist i can give you directions to botelleros in santiago, depending on your location but how are you going to deliver the bottles if you don't have a car? your heart is sin the right place but the reality is against it.