Don't Take the fish !

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I got a kick out of the expectation of some that they would be notified in advance of the inspection - so that they would have time to hide their parrot fish I presume.

Small picture minds.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
What I don't get is the mindset of people who are willing to aggressively confront armed LEOs.I must admit, those cops look pretty intimidated.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....you do know that parrot fish in many countries are considered inedible .... just a few years ago they were considered non game fish and was no market for them.... the DR is the the first Island that I ordered grouper, and was severed parrot fish.............huge difference.....to the fish gourmets out there does any one know what a hog fish is??........Doc......

KITTU

May 13, 2015
Which corals? :(

Parrot fish should be saved because thanks to parrot fishes we have the beaches. Parrot fishes eat corals and the **** out sand. Each parrot fish produces around 100 kilos of sand per year.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
....you do know that parrot fish in many countries are considered inedible .... just a few years ago they were considered non game fish and was no market for them.... the DR is the the first Island that I ordered grouper, and was severed parrot fish.............huge difference.....to the fish gourmets out there does any one know what a hog fish is??........Doc......

You call it also a wrassse in FL.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
I am not sure of the exact details of this clash in POP but it appears the fish may have be taken without license or they are above their limit ?
If anyone knows please clarify. One thing for sure is getting Latinos to respect their environment in any Hispanic country is very difficult.

http://detrasdelrumor.com.do/video-...oridades-de-medio-ambiente-en-maimon-pto-pta/

In Dr Parrot fish is being protected and Medio ambiente has issued a veda for a while.
That is why!
Ignorants in these video are shouting that it is imported and why should they pay taxes.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
https://scubadiverlife.com/limiting-parrotfish-catch-could-save-caribbean-reefs/

In order to try to restore the coral reefs of the DR the ban on Parrotfish should be strictly enforced (Several Caribbean islands do prevent fishing for them). Maybe the boats of fishermen caught with them aboard should be seized, maybe for 6 months after each offense - with significant advance warning - say 60 days ?

Any herbivore should be preserved. With the high nutrient load from sewage, the corals get covered with algae. Both the parrotfish and other herbivores like tangs will keep the algae cleared so the corals can grow and flourish. I was part of the Reef Research Team in Jacksonville FL where we did our best to create new artificial reefs. Some were full of life in about 10 years time.

I was really saddened to see the shape of the reefs in Sosua. I'm sure they were stunningly beautiful just a few decades ago.

There has been a long term decline. Fishing is just one dimension. Sun screen is a another big killer. There have been successive waves of diseases. The onslaught has been relentless.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Fishery management should be based on best available science. Has there been a study in the DR? What is the biology?
I doubt this law is based on any science or that any study was done. Makes me wonder who is behind the push that moved the DR legislators to institute this ban on taking parrot fish.

The fish importers certainly have a voice in the political process while the local fishermen do not.

Many of the large conservancy organizations have a no take approach with the idea of saving the reefs.
Well meaning contributors have made these organizations very powerful and successful yet the live reefs are still threatened.
Off Australia the Great Barrier Reef is in awful condition. Was that Parrot fish, of course not.

The problems affecting the reefs are complex and varied from increasing ocean temperatures to sewage to the lion fish invasion.
To single out the parrot fish for a no take approach seems suspiciously harsh. It will certainly hurt the local fishermen and the local economies and whether it will help the reefs or the parrot fish is highly questionable. What is certain is that it will severely impact the local fishermen and the local restaurants and everybody who comes here expecting fresh fish in a restaurant.

The parrot fish ban is a convenient scapegoat and it will help the fish importers but it will not save the reef. It is a way that the international conservation organizations can mark up a success but in terms of real benefit to the DR there is none.
You want to save the reef and its fish then lets figure out a way to stop the Lionfish. Its harder and cannot be done with a pen but its much more of a real problem and it should be cheaper than stopping the sewage dumping.

I dove the Florida reefs from the Keys to Palm Beach for years and watched the disappearance of the fish and lobsters.
It was not due to over fishing as most commercial take was stopped. What did not and has not stopped is the pumping of untreated sewage just offshore and hardly past the outer reef line. The involved counties are in court with the federal government over how to best solve the massive sewage problem.

The reefs in Sosua Bay were beautiful a relatively short time ago. Now they are mostly dead. Parrot fish had nothing to do with it.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Which corals? :(

.... parrot fish eat coral. thats why they have the beak like teeth.......what comes out the back end of said fish, is one of the reasons the white sand beaches are so white..........Doc..........

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
.... parrot fish eat coral. thats why they have the beak like teeth.......what comes out the back end of said fish, is one of the reasons the white sand beaches are so white..........Doc..........

In my experience the healthiest reefs have lots of parrot fish. Maybe here is why.

Some species such as the green humphead parrotfish (Bolbometopon muricatum) include coral (polyps) in their diets. Their feeding activity is important for the production and distribution of coral sands in the reef biome, and can prevent algal overgrowth of the reef structure.
Algae is the problem with reefs near high levels of sewage.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In my experience the healthiest reefs have lots of parrot fish. Maybe here is why.

Some species such as the green humphead parrotfish (Bolbometopon muricatum) include coral (polyps) in their diets. Their feeding activity is important for the production and distribution of coral sands in the reef biome, and can prevent algal overgrowth of the reef structure.
Algae is the problem with reefs near high levels of sewage.

Yes, that is why parrot fish keep reefs healthy. As I posted above, they clean the algae off the reefs.

https://voices.nationalgeographic.or...th-parrotfish/