POP to Jarabacoa and Jarabacoa to Sosua

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
Is there a reasonable priced alternative to Caribe tours bus from Puerto Plata airport to Jarabacoa and returning to Sosua? Looking for a faster option without an expensive taxi. I have been told 2 hours and almost 4 for the bus. Do you have to go through La Vega? Seems to be a 45 minute bus trip just to get there from Jarabacoa. Do you go from the airport to La Vega or does it go to Santiago? Hard to understand the Caribe Tours website in Spanish, I don't see any way to translate into English.
Thanks for any input.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
From Puerto Plata city to Jarabacoa on Caribe Tours bus four hours for the trip sounds about right. You would need to take Caribe Tours to La Vega and transfer to the Caribe Tours bus to Jarabacoa.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Is there a reasonable priced alternative to Caribe tours bus from Puerto Plata airport to Jarabacoa and returning to Sosua? Looking for a faster option without an expensive taxi. I have been told 2 hours and almost 4 for the bus. Do you have to go through La Vega? Seems to be a 45 minute bus trip just to get there from Jarabacoa. Do you go from the airport to La Vega or does it go to Santiago? Hard to understand the Caribe Tours website in Spanish, I don't see any way to translate into English.
Thanks for any input.

Is renting a car a good option??

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Bus schedule La Vega to Jarabacoa. You can click on the interactive map (http://www.caribetours.com.do/site/portada/). Locate your salida (departure) city and your destino (arrival city) for schedule and prices. Your trip Puerto Plata to Jarabacoa would be listed as two separate trips.

vshs2c.jpg

Needless to say you would need to leave Puerto Plata with ample time to arrive at La Vega or a long wait if you just miss the Jarabacoa bus.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Hè or she asks for an alternative, I understand. Sorry if I am wrong.

WOW, pretty easy to figure that out. The OP also has some confusion with the Caribe Tours bus and how to go about it. I hope you don't mind if I try to clarify his/her confusion with that matter. After all, it is my time and keystrokes.

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
Driving ourselves is not an option. Car hire perhaps? Any sort of shuttle service offered where you can share with other passengers?

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
Not expecting to be cheaper than CT just looking not for an expensive cab ride

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Driving ourselves is not an option. Car hire perhaps? Any sort of shuttle service offered where you can share with other passengers?

Caribe Tours ... 150 + 75 pesos per person. I doubt you will find anything that will come anywhere near that price. I guess a car for hire would save you two hours of travel time but the cost won't be cheap. Caribe Tours can be done without knowing a word of Spanish.

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
Is there a way to see how long the trip would be on the Ct website? Flight arrives at 2:15 so not likely to catch the 3:00 so if on the 4pm would you be able to catch the 6pm?

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
Yes the interactive map is helpful just not sure of how to figure out arrival times. Any idea of what the cost of Uber would be?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Is there a way to see how long the trip would be on the Ct website? Flight arrives at 2:15 so not likely to catch the 3:00 so if on the 4pm would you be able to catch the 6pm?

I would say no way will you be able to get the 6PM bus. By the time you leave the airport, get into PP to the Caribe Tours bus depot it would be way too late to get a bus to arrive in LaVega before 6PM.

Do you have hotel reservations in Jarabacoa? If so maybe they can suggest something.

Uber or airport taxi seem to be your only choice at this juncture.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
http://jmtransfer.com/transfer-aeropuerto-puerto-plata-pop/

JM Transfers lists $139 POP to Jarabacoa for 1 - 6 passengers.

Just my two pesos but Uber would be the last choice for me. Uber is new in the POP area so drivers may or may not be available. Even if a few drivers are available they may not want to do that long trip.

I would play it safe and book a transfer service online in advance.

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
They had suggested Caribe tours so I guess will have to ask for another option.

DeeB

Oct 20, 2017
$139 US so even more CDN. Will check out cost of Uber I guess and what the hotel can suggest. Maybe a cab from La Vega?
Thanks for all the help everyone!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
They had suggested Caribe tours so I guess will have to ask for another option.

I would check with them again and make sure they are aware of your late arrival. They may be able to arrange a transfer service.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
$139 US so even more CDN. Will check out cost of Uber I guess and what the hotel can suggest. Maybe a cab from La Vega?
Thanks for all the help everyone!

Yes, you could Caribe Tours it to La Vega and a taxi from there. Can't help you with the cost but just keep in mind you don't get the Caribe Tours bus at the airport. You will need Uber or a taxi to get you to the Caribe Tours bus depot in the actual city of Puerto Plata.