Humano or Monumental Seguros

fiocco

Mar 26, 2016
Hi,
after a search about the seguros (healthy insurance), we have to decide between Humano and La Monumental. Details are similar in both so any suggestion? The most choosen by Expats here in DR?

Thanks

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I have ARS Palic Prestige and they have been very good. I even get access to the VIP lounge in Las Americas Airport

Last edited:

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I have Humano, they should be better but are good, at work we pay a complementary plan and we got Royal plan, is very good so try to get that one, even you have to pay diference in clinics, has better coverage in all services.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There's an age cut off for signing up, right? What is that - 65?

There are a number of insurance companies that will not sign up people over a certain age. I believe 65 is a common age for the cut off, but you would have to ask each company on their own policy. I have heard there are ways to sign up over the age of 65, but cannot personally confirm that this is true.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Yes, mostly the cut off is 65, from what I understand if you get in before, like 64, then you can carry on and stay on the same policy, but they don't sign you on new if over 65 - as mentioned there are some with different rules of course....

The most important thing is to go to your local clinic/hospital near you that you would be using and check if they accept the company you want to sign on. I remember sometime ago CMP refused some big names due to some dispute of some sort, imagine, that would be bumber if you live in this area....!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hi,
after a search about the seguros (healthy insurance), we have to decide between Humano and La Monumental. Details are similar in both so any suggestion? The most choosen by Expats here in DR?

Thanks

Avoid Monumental like the plague.

Humano is good, Universal and Colonial are very good too.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Can we continue this thread?

I have ARS Palic for my employee group but they tell me that other companies are better dealing with adding children etc.

The current plan is Basic w/ no medications. We want to upgrade.

I will be 70 soon and feel we should move before then - I was covered before 65 so should be eligible to switch.

The employees will be going to Nagua next week to investigate.

I think it was Humano they were considering.

I will be 'upping' my personal plane for sure.

Can we get travel coverage for US coverage?

Anybody know?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
WW, I doubt you can switch to another company at 70. You should be able to up your current policy for International coverage. Some years back I switched from Palic to Humano only because a local clinic was not accepting Palic at the time. Both Palic and Humano were good for our needs so far.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Not 70 yet --- close but not yet
Trying the magic move before the date.

Will ask about upping but my group has children and wants to switch companies

thx

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I too think the cutoff for a new policy is 64/65 with most companies.

You may need to have a separate group policy for your staff if you choose to change the current employee coverage options.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I did some searching and I believe in order to start a new policy, you have to be under 65. So the idea of switching companies after 65 is probably not possible. So if you are older than 65, I think you are locked in with your current company. Let us know if you find out otherwise.

Global Medical plans outside of the DR like IMG Global tend to drop you at around 75 years of age.