What is the best hospital and/or private doctor in the Capitol?

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Its time for me to take my health more seriously as Im officially middle age(40!).

I see plenty of hospitals around here but what clinic/hospital is considered the best?
What doctors for general health would you guys recommend?

I have a doctor in NYC but im rarely there now. Especially during the winter months.

Thanks for the assistance.

rosabblanco

Jul 8, 2010
Its time for me to take my health more seriously as Im officially middle age(40!).

I see plenty of hospitals around here but what clinic/hospital is considered the best?
What doctors for general health would you guys recommend?

I have a doctor in NYC but im rarely there now. Especially during the winter months.

Thanks for the assistance.

I guess it would all depend on what  side of the country you are located. In you are in Santiago there are a few that are very good like HOMS, Unión Medica and Centro Medico Cibao. Santiago also have very competent doctors in the different health fields

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
what are you looking for
Cardiologist
Pulmonary
General Practitioner
Internist
etc.
speaks english

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Pot luck in NY ,where the overwhelming number of doctors were trained outside the USA ..In the DR for a general check up with blood and urine samples and check up of heart and lungs and blood pressure ,there are a large number of good places in the east ,the capital and north . It is not at all difficult and all decent places have the results printed out next to the acceptable range in each test . Now, you can have the check up on the prostate with a blood test

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
Just a general doctor who speaks English. hopefully he or she can be my doctor for the next 20 years or so as I plan to spend less time in New York
Well since I just got gallbladder surgery at clínica Abreu I would recommend them. Clínica Abreu, plaza de la salud, and Cedimat majority of medical staff speaks English or at least to à degree.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Just a general doctor who speaks English. hopefully he or she can be my doctor for the next 20 years or so as I plan to spend less time in New York

If you area resident, we have a list of doctors on the thread...
There are really good doctors but you may need to hunt for the suggestion.

My friend had an excellent checkup at CediMat.
Personally, I have been in Clinica Abreu... excellent there too.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
-Dr. Ricardo Lamouth office is next to clinica abreu same building as referencia labs. 6th floor. speaks perfect english. 809*682*0073. receptionist does not speak english office hr 9-12 3-6

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Pot luck in NY ,where the overwhelming number of doctors were trained outside the USA ..In the DR for a general check up with blood and urine samples and check up of heart and lungs and blood pressure ,there are a large number of good places in the east ,the capital and north . It is not at all difficult and all decent places have the results printed out next to the acceptable range in each test . Now, you can have the check up on the prostate with a blood test

Really?? Never heard of that one. Please elaborate. Here I'm thinking I've got to subject myself to some colon-cleansing elixir, and then go under anethesia to have my backside probed...
If there's an easier way, I'm in.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Really?? Never heard of that one. Please elaborate. Here I'm thinking I've got to subject myself to some colon-cleansing elixir, and then go under anethesia to have my backside probed...

As explained by cancer.gov:
Most prostate cancers are first found during screening with a prostate-specific antigen (PSA) blood test or a digital rectal exam (DRE).
Prostate-specific antigen, or PSA, is a protein produced by normal, as well as malignant, cells of the prostate gland. The PSA test measures the level of PSA in a man’s blood. For this test, a blood sample is sent to a laboratory for analysis. The results are usually reported as nanograms of PSA per milliliter (ng/mL) of blood.
The blood level of PSA is often elevated in men with prostate cancer, and the PSA test was originally approved by the FDA in 1986 to monitor the progression of prostate cancer in men who had already been diagnosed with the disease. In 1994, the FDA approved the use of the PSA test in conjunction with a digital rectal exam (DRE) to test asymptomatic men for prostate cancer. Men who report prostate symptoms often undergo PSA testing (along with a DRE) to help doctors determine the nature of the problem.
In addition to prostate cancer, a number of benign (not cancerous) conditions can cause a man’s PSA level to rise. The most frequent benign prostate conditions that cause an elevation in PSA level are prostatitis (inflammation of the prostate) and benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) (enlargement of the prostate). There is no evidence that prostatitis or BPH leads to prostate cancer, but it is possible for a man to have one or both of these conditions and to develop prostate cancer as well.
Until about 2008, some doctors and professional organizations encouraged yearly PSA screening for men beginning at age 50. Some organizations recommended that men who are at higher risk of prostate cancer, including African American men and men whose father or brother had prostate cancer, begin screening at age 40 or 45. However, as more was learned about both the benefits and harms of prostate cancer screening, a number of organizations began to caution against routine population screening. Most organizations recommend that men who are considering PSA screening first discuss the risks and benefits with their doctors.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Well since I just got gallbladder surgery at clínica Abreu I would recommend them. Clínica Abreu, plaza de la salud, and Cedimat majority of medical staff speaks English or at least to à degree.

Can you give the name of the doctor who did the gall bladder surg. Where is this clinic in Santo Domingo? tks

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Can you give the name of the doctor who did the gall bladder surg. Where is this clinic in Santo Domingo? tks

its right off the malecon. i see it everyday. i cant give you the exact address but its right off avenida independicia and its near plaza juan baron on the malecon. coming from the malecon its right behind that big park area near pizzarelli. you can not miss it.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
-Dr. Ricardo Lamouth office is next to clinica abreu same building as referencia labs. 6th floor. speaks perfect english. 809*682*0073. receptionist does not speak english office hr 9-12 3-6

this is perfect and exactly what im looking for. A general practioner who can prescribe me antibiotics since the DR is cracking down(stupid) and treat minor injuries. thanks!

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
If you area resident, we have a list of doctors on the thread...
There are really good doctors but you may need to hunt for the suggestion.

My friend had an excellent checkup at CediMat.
Personally, I have been in Clinica Abreu... excellent there too.

the search key is a mess here. it literally takes you to a list of 1000 different topics. But im not exactly legal here. But i fly back and forth to nyc twice a month so it really isnt a problem. However im tiring of that and would like to only fly back to the states once or twice a yr from this point forward.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
the search key is a mess here. it literally takes you to a list of 1000 different topics..............

yes it is, the dr1 search function sucks big time. Believe it or not I have better results using Google and just add dr1 to the search query. Unless you know what thread you are looking for and who started the thread dr1 search is useless.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

It is called a PSA test. As mentioned above, it is not the be all ,end all test and can mislead.

http://www.choosingwisely.org/patient-resources/psa-test-for-prostate-cancer/

Yes it can mislead so don't get alarmed if your test numbers come back high. A follow up of a prostate biopsy will most likely be done which will give more accurate cancer test results.