Taiwan donates jeeps, helicopters, motorcycles to DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
29 OCT 2017, 5:39 PM

Taiwan donates 90 jeeps, 2 helicopters and 100 engines to the Dominican Armed Forces

The teams will arrive in the country in January and within two weeks will travel to the Asian country a group of Dominican soldiers to receive specialized training to handle them

SANTO DOMINGO. The Republic of Taiwan donated 90 jeeps, two helicopters and 100 engines for use by the Armed Forces of the Dominican Republic during an official visit that Minister of Defense Ruben Paulino Sem made to that Asian nation.

A press release from the Ministry of Defense says that Paulino Sem, who returned to the country on Saturday after exhausting a three-day work schedule, was invited by the Taiwanese authorities as part of the bilateral cooperation agreements that have existed since 1947 between the two countries

On his official visit, Paulino Sem was received by the president, Tsai Ing-wen.

The press communication says that the donation is more than 35 million dollars

The Asian leader also promised to double the cooperation offered to the Dominican Republic and took the opportunity to extend an invitation to Dominican President Danilo Medina, and first lady Cándida Montilla de Medina, to visit their country.

The Dominican minister informed that the teams will arrive in the country next January and that in two weeks a group of Dominican soldiers will travel to Taiwan who will receive specialized training as technicians of Bell UH-1H helicopters.

"The government of Taiwan will cover the maintenance and parts of the Humvee jeeps donated for two years," he adds.

Accompanied on the trip to Paulino Sem, Luis R. Lee Ballester, director of Plans and Operations of the MIDE, and the lieutenant colonel of the Air Force, Manuel A. Del Villar Cintrón, director of Civil Affairs and Public Relations.

Paulino Sem also visited the Han-Shan airline industry corporation and the Taiwanese Army car depot base, accompanied by the Dominican ambassador to that country, the Major General (R), historian José Manuel Soto Jiménez and the military attaché, captain of the ship Mayobanex Montero Tapia.

The MIDE holder also held meetings with his counterpart, Admiral Feng Shih-Kwan; with Chancellor David Tawei Lee; with the pilot brigadier general Han-Shan, president of the Air Industry Corporation; and with Wu Yin-Jung, commander of the Taiwanese Army Vehicle Logistics Plant.

During his visit, Paulino Sem presented recognition plaques to President Tsai Ing-wen, for his contributions to Dominican development; to Feng Shih-Kuan, for the support to the continuous training of the members of the Dominican Armed Forces in the Military Schools and Academies of Taiwan; to Lee Hsi-Min, for his contribution to the promotion of relations between the Ministries of Defense of both nations; David Tawei Lee, for promoting cordial and solidary relations with the Dominican Republic.

computer translated from: https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...s-a-las-fuerzas-armadas-dominicanas-YC8477032

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I am, most likely, the least knowledgeable poster regarding military and political affairs as it pertains to this country. However, in spite of that limitation, I fail to grasp the need for more military hardware in a country that has no real or imagined enemies ready to engage in armed conflict. Someone on this board will enlighten me for sure, of that I am certain. Thank you in advance.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Didn't President Medina recently receive a delegation from Taiwan? I believe I read this here on DR1 News.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
I am, most likely, the least knowledgeable poster regarding military and political affairs as it pertains to this country. However, in spite of that limitation, I fail to grasp the need for more military hardware in a country that has no real or imagined enemies ready to engage in armed conflict. Someone on this board will enlighten me for sure, of that I am certain. Thank you in advance.

these are transportation means not weapons...there are plenty uses for all these

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
as everything in life, even to maintain a customer, you have obligations...on the case of Taiwan the obligation is to maintain the status quo and keep diplomatic relations with them...they have seen the writing on the wall and will try whatever they can to keep the chinese out of DR

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
So Cor yup there is no difference between receiving something for free or offering a service or doing a job? 

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
as everything in life, even to maintain a customer, you have obligations...on the case of Taiwan the obligation is to maintain the status quo and keep diplomatic relations with them...they have seen the writing on the wall and will try whatever they can to keep the chinese out of DR

I thought the same thing when I first saw the article. China is investing in Haiti, and I agree that Taiwan wants to be sure they don't wander over the border.........

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Why receive donations? Pendejos!!! Buy your stuff..

Countries do this all the time for each other - to further good relations between allies. I don't see the big deal. Not like they went begging for it.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
That would be a piece of cake for China. Just offering a bit more, over of under the Well-known table.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Countries do this all the time for each other - to further good relations between allies. I don't see the big deal. Not like they went begging for it.

OW ok...how much and what donates the DR ?

Last edited:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
OW ok...how much and what donate the DR ?
To Taiwan?

I have no earthly idea. But my point is that countries do this - all the time.

I do know they jumped in big time and helped Haiti after the earthquake. A lot of Dom trucks with supplies were on the road very quickly.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Yes! It comes with obligations, and it is humiliating, but that's not a problem for Dominicans.

I take it that throughout the course of history, your native land (whichever it may be) has never received anything from a foreign government? Ever? Why is it that when the Dominican government follows the same procedures as most governments in the world they are expected to be shamed for it. Terms such as pendejos and humiliating? This is very sad commentary indeed.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Sounds more like a last ditch effort to save the relationship before
China move$ in.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
China is the new conquistador, but maybe in a smarter way than some eurpean countries did. But that's what happens. Most people in these countries are way too relaxed.

Last edited: