Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Food Safety Concerns

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mcinbrass View Post
    Might be able to get it at one of the German places that pop up from time to time.
    the one by my apartment does not even have brats at times let alone sauerkraut.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bienamor View Post
    the one by my apartment does not even have brats at times let alone sauerkraut.
    I always felt that a good hot dog place would do well there. W real nathans type franks , sauerkraut, chili, and the papaya juice would be easy to make. Even the hot dogs down there, yuk. Does a place like Pricesmart carry good hot dogs?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I've seen Nathans dogs. You gonna open a cart?

I like that idea, cause there's less for flies to land on. If the buns are wrapped up and the dogs in water, nothing for those filthty things to land on.

And have some Grey Poupon.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ctrob View Post
    I've seen Nathans dogs. You gonna open a cart?

I like that idea, cause there's less for flies to land on. If the buns are wrapped up and the dogs in water, nothing for those filthty things to land on.

And have some Grey Poupon.
    I like them on the flat top with a little char

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Back on topic please

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Some places closed.

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/...rant-colmados/

"Bug alert: lack of hygiene shutters restaurant, colmados"

Santo Domingo.- The National Consumer Protection Institute (Pro Consumidor) on Thurs. afternoon shuttered the restaurant “Delicias Campestre” in the capital’s Chinatown, and other businesses such as colmados for the presence of bugs and for mishandling products offered to customers.
    In a statement, the agency said inspectors found pests that affected the foods sold to the public, and the personnel prepared such food, “in an inappropriate manner.”
    Pro Consumidor said the businesses were shuttered “for violating basic standards of hygiene and the inadequate conservation of food, which implies an imminent risk to the health of consumers.”
    On its website, the agency added that the restaurant will not reopen “until the conditions of hygiene and quality of its facilities and the products that are commercialized are corrected, as a guarantee that they do not affect the lives of consumers and users.”

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

.......Have visited many countries in latin and south America.....the D.R. is about as good as it is on food safety, never had a problem here...... the worst was Mexico, the Pacific coast and the interior....stopped going there in the 1980s every trip was the same for most people I know, Montezumas revenge for all ....and some to take home.........Doc.......

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a pica pollo on Calle El Conde in the Colonial Zone that is long overdue from a visit from any existing consumer protection entity. Roaches, both large and small, travel freely throughout the place. I've seen employees stomp the slow and infirm ones with their feet. There's evidence of the presence of rodents, if one looks closely. Since a large portion of the roof on the second floor has collapsed, water from the frequent rains flood the floors of the restaurant. There's a mad scramble to unsuccessfully move the already-cooked-food around, to keep it from flooding also. If the rain persists, and the dozen or so buckets and odd containers fail to contain the 15-20 leaks, the restaurant sometimes closes for the day. I'll leave the food handling in the kitchen, along with what happens with the food that's not sold that day, for another day. Waste not!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR Solar View Post
    https://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/...rant-colmados/

"Bug alert: lack of hygiene shutters restaurant, colmados"

Santo Domingo.- The National Consumer Protection Institute (Pro Consumidor) on Thurs. afternoon shuttered the restaurant “Delicias Campestre” in the capital’s Chinatown, and other businesses such as colmados for the presence of bugs and for mishandling products offered to customers.
    In a statement, the agency said inspectors found pests that affected the foods sold to the public, and the personnel prepared such food, “in an inappropriate manner.”
    Pro Consumidor said the businesses were shuttered “for violating basic standards of hygiene and the inadequate conservation of food, which implies an imminent risk to the health of consumers.”
    On its website, the agency added that the restaurant will not reopen “until the conditions of hygiene and quality of its facilities and the products that are commercialized are corrected, as a guarantee that they do not affect the lives of consumers and users.”

Wow, that’s one of the restaurants recommended in the Chinese food thread a week or so ago.  

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

10. Likes cobraboy liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default You be the judge.

Any long time DR1'r know they have to be the judge of food safety. The government is choosy at best towards vendors regarding its enforcement of food sanitation regulations. Don't expect a warm and fuzzy feeling that the government is looking out for your welfare. It's attempts doing so are weak.

Visiting tourists need to do their homework about where they visit and this includes quality of food services being promoted at tourist locations. Websites such as TripAdvisor, (especially after being corrected for censorship ) are an assistance. Consults to DR1 are good. If staying at a resort do not be shy to notify administrators, (ask for names), if food quality and food environment is questionable.

If out on your own, no matter where you go, let your eyes, nose, and intelligence be the guide to food safety and a good bite.

Regards,

PJT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast