Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Who is Robin Berstein, the appointed US ambassador to DR

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j&t's future View Post
    His appointment to the Dominican Republic under the Obama administration was a disgrace and an insult to the people here.

He did NOTHING positive whilst here.
    I have a number of friends in the gay community there who would disagree with you. They really appreciated the implicit support of the United States and Mr Brewster and his husband in speaking out for gay rights. I know it was a difficult time for the Dominican Republic - in that the issue of homosexuality is a touchy one - but the DR is in fact a destination for sex tourism - straight and gay... and many of the most vulnerable are made more vulnerable by the fact that the subject of gay sex is simply not discussed. Those who have been there for a while will remember that there was not only a pedophile priest but a pedophile papal nuncio... The Nuncio was well known as a pedophile for a long time within the gay community. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking on gay rights is fine, but virtually telling the DR how to run it's government we can do without. If an ambassador from another country went to the US and acted like this guy he would be gone in a week.

3. Likes Garyexpat liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    I'm sure there's a select group of sankies that are already polishing their trade to see if they can make her stay in the country for the entirety of her appointmentship. It could create marital problems, but...
    I have seen guys who don't have two nickels to rub together runaway with wives of millionaires. lol

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    Speaking on gay rights is fine, but virtually telling the DR how to run it's government we can do without. If an ambassador from another country went to the US and acted like this guy he would be gone in a week.
    not sure if Wally Brewster was the first US Ambassador to do that... think there have been a long line of them.. dating perhaps back to the time of Juan Bosch

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

SKY, i agree with your sentiments, exactly, but American ambassadors have been meddling in the affairs of other countries from time immemorial. i remember the Prime Minister of Jamaica expelling a US ambassador by the name of DeRoulet, for meddling in the government's affairs.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The only time the US cared anything about the DR was when Trujillo was in charge. Google his White House trips and see for yourself.
    LBJ and his 42,000 marines beg to differ. Which, incidentally, almost approached the number that Napoleon himself sent to the Haitian part of the island. In my estimation, when empires send massive expeditions like that to far off colonial corners it shows the OPPOSITE of not caring...
    Last edited by Naked_Snake; 11-03-2017 at 07:58 PM.

8. Likes airgordo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Naked_Snake View Post
    LBJ and his 42,000 marines beg to differ. Which, incidentally, almost approached the number that Napoleon himself sent to the Haitian part of the island. In my estimation, when empires send massive expeditions like that to far off colonial corners it shows the OPPOSITE of not caring...

If you knew anything about what happened, you would know that the Marines came in to save the Truillo regime. Not for democracy or any other reason. Many good Dominicans died defending their homeland. I knew some of them.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If you knew anything about what happened, you would know that the Marines came in to save the Truillo regime. Not for democracy or any other reason. Many good Dominicans died defending their homeland. I knew some of them.
    Wasn't Trujillo already dead?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If you knew anything about what happened, you would know that the Marines came in to save the Truillo regime. Not for democracy or any other reason. Many good Dominicans died dfending their homeland. I knew some of them.
    If you knew me better, you'd know that you are preaching to the choir here (just ask gorgon). I just take issue with your saying that after Trujillo the US didn't show interest on this country (or island at large) when its actions have spoken LOUDER about the region's importance to them (specially as far as preventing the Cuban example from spreading to the four corners).

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    Wasn't Trujillo already dead?

Yes, but the US wanted the regime continued under his subordinates. The US was in cahoots with Trujillo, that is a fact that is undisputed.

You live here, ask some old people whether the US invaded to help them or hurt them. Then report back.............

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast