where have all the dogs gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have been in santo domingo for the last ten days ...on previous trips I noticed a lot of stray dogs around boca chica and around the colonial zone....on this trip very few
anybody know what happened....I am sure not all were adopted and given loving homes

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Years ago in Costa Rica the authorities would put down poisoned meat whenever the stray dog population got too extreme. Is that done in Sto Domingo?

wbr

Jelly

Nov 7, 2013
We noticed that this trip too...not a dog to be seen on the beach at Playa Dorada in Puerto Plata or on Cabarete.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I haven’t seen anything specific in the news, but the health department does poison them.  Some of you may remember when 21 dogs were found dead one day at the Féria Ganadera on the malecon in a Santo Domingo, last year I think.  My husband has seen them go through neighborhoods in a truck, spraying something on stray/loose dogs, and they die shortly thereafter.  

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
I have been in santo domingo for the last ten days ...on previous trips I noticed a lot of stray dogs around boca chica and around the colonial zone....on this trip very few
anybody know what happened....I am sure not all were adopted and given loving homes

Sadly as well all know in Santo Domingo dog fighting is very popular. These stray dogs get scooped up as training partners for the much stronger Pit Bull type dogs. Unfortunately they don't stand a chance. Remember this is Santo Domingo we are talking about.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Have lived here over 20 years in Santo Domingo, and have never heard much about organized dog fight, gallo's yes dogs no.
assume you have some links to prove your point.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I know in La Entrada a group of volunteer veterinarians from the states spayed and neutered something like 200 street dogs, and two years later the population was a tiny fraction of before.

One of the MotoCaribe alumni was part of the volunteer crew. He joined after seeing the ballooned dog population at the beach while on tour.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Have lived here over 20 years in Santo Domingo, and have never heard much about organized dog fight, gallo's yes dogs no.
assume you have some links to prove your point.

Its underground, just like here in the states. Ever heard of Michael Vick? You need to get out more. They fight and video women for fun in DR, haven't you ever seen those?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Its underground, just like here in the states. Ever heard of Michael Vick? You need to get out more. They fight and video women for fun in DR, haven't you ever seen those?

your links please. and yes heard of Vick. Maybe I need to change groups I hang with also, but your group does not sound like my cup of tea. Or any of the dominicans I hang with.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I live by an AI beach strip. All the dogs have been poisoned. It's sad but when you have close to 50 dogs running wild someone took charge. It was not me. I kinda thought it was funny watching the scared tourists running away from dogs that just wanted a bit of attention.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I live by an AI beach strip. All the dogs have been poisoned. It's sad but when you have close to 50 dogs running wild someone took charge. It was not me. I kinda thought it was funny watching the scared tourists running away from dogs that just wanted a bit of attention.

...In the area I am in they call that poison....3 steps....thats all they get after a dose.....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
...In the area I am in they call that poison....3 steps....thats all they get after a dose.....

Tres Pasitos:

This product is usually imported illegally from the Dominican Republic, Mexico and other Latin American countries. The name means "three little steps" in Spanish. The name implies that the product is so poisonous, mice will die very quickly after eating the poison. The active ingredient in Tres Pasitos is aldicarb. The EPA considers aldicarb to be a very toxic chemical that should never be used in your home.

Children and pets are especially vulnerable to poisoning by Tres Pasitos. The product is made of small brown grains that look like food. Tres Pasitos is often sold in sandwich bags with little or no labeling. Touching, breathing or swallowing even a small amount of Tres Pasitos can cause vomiting, weakness, dizziness, sweating, and shortness of breath. If you suspect someone was exposed to Tres Pasitos, call the Poison Control Center immediately at 1-800-222-1222 for medical advice.

http://npic.orst.edu/ingred/ptype/illegal/trespasitos.html

Aldicarb is a fast-acting cholinesterase inhibitor, causing rapid accumulation of acetylcholine at the synaptic cleft. It is widely used to study cholinergic neurotransmission in simple systems such as the nematode C. elegans.

Exposure to high amounts of aldicarb can cause weakness, blurred vision, headache, nausea, tearing, sweating, and tremors in humans. High doses can be fatal to humans because it can paralyze the respiratory system.

In South Africa (where Aldicarb is popularly known as Two Step) it is widely used by burglars to poison dogs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldicarb

Status
Not open for further replies.