New Canadian ambassador Shauna Hemingway is career diplomat

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
From her background, the Canadian ambassador is a trade expert. Wonder if she has been entrusted with pushing forward the free trade agreement with Canada.

From DR1 Daily News - Monday, 30 October 2017:

Shauna Hemingway: Trade agreement expert now heads Canadian Embassy
The new Canadian ambassador is Shauna Hemingway comes to the Dominican Republic at a time when a long-negotiated free trade agreement with Canada is at a standstill. Negotiations had been well advanced when circumstances led Dominican negotiators to instead move ahead the DR-CAFTA with the United States and file away the agreement with Canada for future.

Hemingway is a graduate in Economics and History from the University of Toronto (1999). She worked as a journalist in Canada and England prior to joining the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade in 2002. In her early years she worked as a trade policy negotiator and was responsible for investment treaty and free trade agreement negotiations with partners in Asia. She worked at the Canadian Embassy in Korea, where she served as Political Secretary accredited to North and South Korea. Hemingway also served as trade commissioner responsible for Mexico, and economic counselor at the Canadian embassy in Mexico.

Hemingway presented her credentials at the Presidential Palace on Thursday, 26 October 2017.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Message from the Ambassador
People are at the heart of Canada’s strong and growing relationship with the Dominican Republic. We cultivate our bilateral ties through a greater understanding and appreciation of one another, our distinct languages and our diverse cultures. The connections we build across our communities, between our businesses and civil society organizations, and within regional and multilateral institutions are driven by mutual respect and shared interests.

As travellers, Canadians have found in the Dominican Republic a place where we feel inspired, relaxed and welcome. As business leaders, we seek open and predictable markets that complement our commercial strengths, including those in clean technology, environmental stewardship in resource development, and high-quality agri-food and manufacturing products.‎ As regional neighbours, we want to work together to reduce poverty, prepare for and respond to natural disasters, and contribute to global security through key international bodies such as the United Nations.

Yet, before we discuss policy, trade and our ambitions for our shared region, we first appreciate each other through our music, cuisine and sports. Our people share many values and aspirations, including the quest for inclusive economic growth, excellence in education, opportunities for our young people, and equality across our societies and in our places of work.

It is my great honour to be part of this growing community. As Canada’s Ambassador to the Dominican Republic, I am focused on the ways in which our similarities can be matched to further our mutual interests and our diversity can strengthen our commercial ventures. I am one of thousands of Canadians resident in the Dominican Republic, where we welcome visits from close to 800,000 fellow citizens each year.
As you explore your own aspect of our diverse bilateral relationship, I look forward to engaging with you to make our countries and our partnerships stronger and increasingly fruitful.

Shauna Hemingway
Canadian Ambassador to the Dominican Republic

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/dominican_republic-republique_dominicaine/offices-bureaux/ambassador_msg_ambassadeur.aspx?lang=eng

There is nothing mentioned in any of the biographies I've seen about her Spanish language abilities should anyone wish to question them.