With no intent to offend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
The Ladies only forum has been open for a few weeks now. I wasn’t particularly interested in what the women had to say to each other, but I thought I’d drop in for a look-see. Imagine my amazement. Ten threads and the title of each one has a warning/stipulation/excluding statement or some other phrase that makes it quite clear that ‘Neither men’s posts nor their replies are wanted here’. I haven’t opened any of the threads. I’m much more captivated by the titles. What sort of comment are these repeated ‘thou shalt not’ inclusions in the titles making?

To me it’s sad that the women who post on these forums appear to have such a low opinion of the men that post on these forums that they feel obliged to say the same thing ten times. Is this a reflection on the past behaviour of the men on dr1? Or is it a reflection on the behaviour of just a very few men on dr1? Is it something else entirely — perhaps a need by the women to assert themselves, a need which has gone unrequited for too long. Nah! Couldn’t be!

But having posed the questions and mulled them over, I find that I no longer have even a passing interest in what has been posted; the titles have told me enough. However — passing thought — when the Lonely Planet’s Thorn Tree opened a woman’s forum many, many years ago (Before dr1 was even born) there were no stipulations. Of course that may have changed since those early years, but I really don’t want to find out.

I think I’ll blame it all on the inroads that electronic social media have made into our society. That’s easy. I will now move on to other things.

wbr

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I think (hope) it's posted that way to alert inadvertent posters who may want to contribute.

I have been one and rec'd demerits for doing so.... rules are rules.

As to the benefits of a Women Only Club....
I have no opinion.......... Like Sgt Schultz.....

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Senor Webster is correct, the thread titles serve to remind male posters that it is the Ladies Only Forum.  

Status
Not open for further replies.