Getting a Dominican Passport in the USA

Aug 29, 2017
Hello so I am a naturalized dominican citizen and want to get a dominican passport. Is it possible to get this done in the United States, without a cedula? If so what would I need to get this done?

I tried to get in contact with different consulates in the USA but none of them have been picking up their phones lol.

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
What may I ask is the necessity of getting a DR passport? I just became a citizen last year and have been just been using my cédula and US passport. Most Dominicans who become citizens of the US don't retain their Dominican passport anymore. Assuming you're a US citizen you're better of with just that unless there's some benefit that I'm not aware of lol. Also I believe e you do need a cédula to get a passport not too sure, if you're a citizen you should have one right? . I became a citizen through my father.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
If you called today (Monday)
The offices are closed for a holiday....Constitution Day
Citizens are not req'd to memorize the official holidays)

Try again tomorrow

Aug 29, 2017
If you called today (Monday)
The offices are closed for a holiday....Constitution Day
Citizens are not req'd to memorize the official holidays)

Try again tomorrow
I figured today they would be close because of the holiday but I have not tried, but based on my understanding Dominican consulates are natorious for long lines and not picking up the phone so I wanted to see if anyone here had any info

Aug 29, 2017
I'm an avid traveler so when it comes to countries both the US and Dominicans need visa for (Brazil, China, etc) it's always cheaper to travel on the Dominican passport in terms of paying for the visa. My friend recently went to china and was charged 300$ For a chinese visa as opposed to when he used his Dominican passport he was charged $75. There is also this big debate on the Dominican passport not being strong because citizens that travel to the country tend to stay in the country, if more citizens like you traveled on the Dominican passport as opposed to the American one it might help in the overall strength of the passport.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Your first step is getting your cedula, it’s required for just about everything government related. 

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017
What may I ask is the necessity of getting a DR passport? I just became a citizen last year and have been just been using my cédula and US passport.

The DR, like most countries including the US, requires that its citizens exit and enter the DR with a DR passport. The DR does not strictly enforce this like other nations. Duals that I know carry both when traveling between the US and the DR.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The DR, like most countries including the US, requires that its citizens exit and enter the DR with a DR passport. The DR does not strictly enforce this like other nations. Duals that I know carry both when traveling between the US and the DR.

My Dominican husband hasn’t used his DR passport to enter or leave DR since getting his US passport almost 40 years ago.  Never been asked for it either, just shows his cedula. 

Aug 29, 2017
but I still think it is important for dominican nationals to travel with their dominican passport every once in a while just because in using the USA passport, those trips are classified as"american tourism" and makes the american passport stronger. If more dominican nationals used their dominican passport to travel to certain countries and leave those countries with that same dominican passport it is classified as "dominican tourism" which shows that dominicans are moving around the world -- and are not immigrating!! The reason why the DR passport is so weak is because the little people that do move around with their passport choose to stay in the country they visit...