Service Dog SDQ?

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
Has anyone traveled through SDQ with a service dog? Wondering what the reaction will be with airport employees and security.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I did. The reaction from everyone was enthusiastic and welcoming. From the fellow passengers to US and Dominican airline personnel, everyone smiled. Could not have been nicer.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had a St Bernard on my flight once ---

Had its own boarding pass & seat...
But certainly was NOT a service dog.... begged for food, addressed every passerby

Lots of scams.........

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
Good to hear and thank you for the feedback. We're booked out on Delta next week and didn't want any last minute surprises at the airport. 

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I had a St Bernard on my flight once ---

Had its own boarding pass & seat...
But certainly was NOT a service dog.... begged for food, addressed every passerby

Lots of scams.........

Was he a beach vendor on vacation?

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I have thought about registering my german shepherd as a service dog and bringing him with me...but I have never seen one on any of the flights I have taken with jetblue ....anybody have any info about this ?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Or ship him below but fewer airlines allow this these days

I did it with my frequent flyer - BoBo the Boxer

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I have thought about registering my german shepherd as a service dog and bringing him with me...but I have never seen one on any of the flights I have taken with jetblue ....anybody have any info about this ?

Have had one flight with a shepherd think was on Delta or United. Guy held him the entire time no barking or begging. had him on the floor in front of him for a little while until the stew told him could not be down there. Guy had a lap full for sure

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Has anyone traveled through SDQ with a service dog? Wondering what the reaction will be with airport employees and security.

I'm assuming you have the international paperwork from your vet. You will need this when you arrive with your dog.

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016

I'll let you know in a few weeks, mine is a shepard also. 

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

I believe all the airlines are required to allow service dogs if you have a letter from a doctor that the dog is a medical need.
I do not think the airline can refuse. You could phone the airline and check.
Shipping dogs in crates is a nightmare. There are temperature requirements on take off and landing. You will not know if you can fly until the time you get to the airport with your luggage and the crated dog. At that point the airline checks the temperatures and lets you know. You also have to allow extra time for the airline if you have a dog in a crate.
American Airlines also has a list of what they call "short faced dogs" that they will not fly in crates.
Houston to SDQ for a crated dog is $200. Service dogs fly free.
I have flown dogs to and from the DR in crates and every time it was a pita.
The service dog does have to be in your lap so if the dog is really big it could be a problem if the flight is full and you cannot find an empty seat for your pal.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I was advised my an airline employee ....never ever put your dog in the hold.....so only way I would take him is if he is in the cabin...I have no problem paying for his seat .....105 lbs might be a bit much for my lap for 4 hours

cruzan1

Sep 12, 2016
Flew out of POP - no problem at all. Only one surprise, I needed a permit from the Dept Agriculture. Luckily they have an office in the airport and an airline employee walked me down and helped facilitate. The airline employees and airport personal were extremely nice and very curious about the dog. He laid down by my feet under the chair the entire flight. My dog is extremely well trained and that helps tremendously. I witnessed several "untrained" pulling their owners through MIA during our connection and that can't be fun for anyone... 

Jan 9, 2004
Flew out of POP - no problem at all. Only one surprise, I needed a permit from the Dept Agriculture. Luckily they have an office in the airport and an airline employee walked me down and helped facilitate. The airline employees and airport personal were extremely nice and very curious about the dog. He laid down by my feet under the chair the entire flight. My dog is extremely well trained and that helps tremendously. I witnessed several "untrained" pulling their owners through MIA during our connection and that can't be fun for anyone... 

May not have been a "service" dog......they are highly trained.

On the other hand, "emotional support dogs" are unfortunately quite the scam used by some, not all, to fly their pets in the cabin. You can get papers and a vest right off the internet to make things look official.

It taints those who truly need them.

Glad it worked out for you.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
MIA has a 'dog walk' for dogs changing planes....

they get to exit the kennel for exercise then fly on.....
not all would be 'cabin dogs'....

May 5, 2007
Make sure you understand the differences in "therapy" and "service" dogs and the requirements, allowances for each etc.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
May not have been a "service" dog......they are highly trained.

On the other hand, "emotional support dogs" are unfortunately quite the scam used by some, not all, to fly their pets in the cabin. You can get papers and a vest right off the internet to make things look official.

It taints those who truly need them.

Glad it worked out for you.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Respectful baloney. Its no scam, it is not unfortunate, and it does not taint anyone, the "papers" are not off the internet and come with a letter signed by a licensed M.D.
Who the respectful hell are you to make pronouncements. It does not "look official", it is official.

The LAW says a letter from your doctor describing your need is what is required.
How is a person who follows the letter of the law operating a scam?

Opinions are like asses, everyone has one. On this issue you are talking out yours.
Dogs belong in the cabin on aircraft. This is a good law and tainting dog owners as scam artists is nonsense.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

A well trained dog is a joy to own.
I have had the same cooperation and helpfulness from airline personnel in flying my dog.
Regarding untrained dogs and their owners it has always amazed me to see dogs pulling their owners by the leash and jumping on people.
When you take your dog to just basic obedience class it improves the level of communication you have with the dog. It increases the joy of ownership immeasurably.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

Cruzan how big is your dog/