Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Don't get defensive but be prepared to answer the questions

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buffness View Post
    Punta Cana (PUJ)  airport ,  judging only from our experience ...is the best in DR ...compared to our experience of  SDQ and almost all of the other airports in DR . Our favourite experience with PUJ is ....every Friday ...taking the overnight fright from São Paulo and landing at PUJ around 6:45am on a Saturday morning..when the airport is still quiet ...and almost empty...and the sun is just beginning to rise  . The flight is usually en-route to Miami ...so you are one of the  few (4 or 5 ) business travelers leaving the plane ...you clear immigration in less than 5 minutes ( usually with a smile and a "welcome home señor") . Your luggage claim time is less than 15 minutes tops... ADUANA just waves you on ...and you are on your way home within 20 to 30 minutes of landing ...
    Customs at Punta Cana normally insist that every bag is put through the X-Ray machine and this is quite annoying. Every time I travel through on my own, they always insist on doing a "full" bag check, then give up half-way through the first suitcase.

2. Likes Kipling333 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Posted twice. Que paso.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalPaul View Post
    Customs at Punta Cana normally insist that every bag is put through the X-Ray machine and this is quite annoying. Every time I travel through on my own, they always insist on doing a "full" bag check, then give up half-way through the first suitcase.
    Exactly. When I arrive solo, I try to walk with another group of people or woman. So, it looks like I am a tourist. I could not quite do it last time. And, of course, the guy pulls me aside. I don't think the xray machines were even running. He starts looking through my bag - what is this, how much does this cost in your pais. Etc, etc. I have to explain look - here is a card inside the bag from TSA at JFK that says they already went through all of this. Of course, that doesn't make any difference. He doesn't know what it is or what it means. I explain most of this is little things for the house and presents/regalos. None of it costs much. He asks how much the cheap cell headphones cost. I say you want them? Here. Adios.

5. Likes Kipling333 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I go through PUJ a lot. My move is I put on a Miami U hat, I have a guy for the luggage because I always have a lot. Then I wait for a large group and get in the middle before I leave the luggage area. Works great.

7. Likes ROLLOUT, franco1111 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

My experiences at Punta Cana were the same..It is an airport that is still running behind the increasing number of tourists but is trying to extend facilities all the time.However at present, there are few airport lounges for the large number of different airlines , immigration and customs can be a nightmare if arriving with other tourist flights , the parking is horrendous and the Taxi drivers are scoundrels , I used to fly the direct flight to Gatwick..no more. Far better to use Iberia from SDQ and at least be with fewer tourist groups and use a reasonable system . I am flying out next month so will see how the new security checks work and report . I am not flying to the USA so maybe the hassle will be much less.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

A tip to deal with customs at PUJ terminal B. If you are a DR citizen or have a Cedula you of course pass the tourist booth. Then stay to the left and keep walking. Sometimes someone approaches me, but I have FAD photo ID, so I am good. But I have seen people go with just a Cedula. Worth a try. This way you bypass the line and use the booth all the way to the left.

I love Hillary!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TropicalPaul View Post
    Regarding the enhanced security, it's also a complete joke. We were asked a series of pointless questions about why we were in Santo Domingo by Delta at Santo Domingo during the 20 minutes we waited in line to check in for first class (seriously?) and I just told the woman to stop asking me inane questions and to do something about us having to wait. I answered one or two of the questions and then told her I wouldn't be answering any more, and she just walked away.
    Lol, that might work here, if you try that state side you will be in a room standing tall before the man.

11. Likes irishpaddy, Dr_Taylor liked this post
    Dislikes Dr_Taylor disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southern View Post
    Lol, that might work here, if you try that state side you will be in a room standing tall before the man.
    So true,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

13. Likes irishpaddy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buffness View Post
    Punta Cana (PUJ)  airport ,  judging only from our experience ...is the best in DR ...compared to our experience of  SDQ and almost all of the other airports in DR . Our favourite experience with PUJ is ....every Friday ...taking the overnight fright from São Paulo and landing at PUJ around 6:45am on a Saturday morning..when the airport is still quiet ...and almost empty...and the sun is just beginning to rise  . The flight is usually en-route to Miami ...so you are one of the  few (4 or 5 ) business travelers leaving the plane ...you clear immigration in less than 5 minutes ( usually with a smile and a "welcome home señor") . Your luggage claim time is less than 15 minutes tops... ADUANA just waves you on ...and you are on your way home within 20 to 30 minutes of landing ...
    This is obviously every traveler's dream for a flight segment. To be able to disembark with only four or five others, and be allowed to proceed through controls untroubled. But for the multitudes, it is only that, a dream, not normal standard operating procedure for today's air travel. In regards to São Paulo, I have traveled there several times on conference to discuss collections within the Museu de Arte de São Paulo, but have never utilized PUJ for such purposes.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling333 View Post
    My experiences at Punta Cana were the same..It is an airport that is still running behind the increasing number of tourists but is trying to extend facilities all the time.However at present, there are few airport lounges for the large number of different airlines , immigration and customs can be a nightmare if arriving with other tourist flights , the parking is horrendous and the Taxi drivers are scoundrels , I used to fly the direct flight to Gatwick..no more. Far better to use Iberia from SDQ and at least be with fewer tourist groups and use a reasonable system . I am flying out next month so will see how the new security checks work and report . I am not flying to the USA so maybe the hassle will be much less.
    Oh yes - my friend came to pick me up and made the mistake of coming into the parking lot. To go out, you have to pay at a machine. There might be two. They were not working. So, they wanted to make everyone wait until the machine(s) was fixed. En serio? My friend backed up to avoid the long line that was already backing up and cut in with the gua guas. Paid the 50 peso at the gate and luckily we got out.

16. Likes Kipling333 liked this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast