Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Don't get defensive but be prepared to answer the questions

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    A tip to deal with customs at PUJ terminal B. If you are a DR citizen or have a Cedula you of course pass the tourist booth. Then stay to the left and keep walking. Sometimes someone approaches me, but I have FAD photo ID, so I am good. But I have seen people go with just a Cedula. Worth a try. This way you bypass the line and use the booth all the way to the left.
    It is Migracion where the cedula makes a difference. I have one. The line is much shorter to left for sure. The problem is aduanas. I stayed to the left this time -mistake, the guy was lurking there. To the right were more people and about three guys lounging against the not-functioning belt from the xray. Ah, but I forgot about getting the guy to take my maleta from the carousel with bag. I don't mind giving him two dollars to get me past the aduana. Most of the time that works, don't look at anyone, just keep walking. No one approached me at the carousel this time so I just left. I think I will remember to try that again next time.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    This is obviously every traveler's dream for a flight segment. To be able to disembark with only four or five others, and be allowed to proceed through controls untroubled. But for the multitudes, it is only that, a dream, not normal standard operating procedure for today's air travel. In regards to São Paulo, I have traveled there several times on conference to discuss collections within the Museu de Arte de São Paulo, but have never utilized PUJ for such purposes.
    At PUJ they assume any male arriving solo is suspect. In my experience, and others have posted the same here.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by franco1111 View Post
    At PUJ they assume any male arriving solo is suspect. In my experience, and others have posted the same here.
    Which then allows us to return to Post #21.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    Which then allows us to return to Post #21.
    Yes, I understand. But, the reason they are talking to me is that they want me to pay a tax on what I bring into the country and make sure I am not carrying more than $10,000. I understand this is their job. But, once I explain I don't have goods over the allowed value, I don't have more than $10,000, I live here, I am only bringing regalos for my family - that should be it. There is a point beyond which it is absurd. But, of course, my reality is different than theirs. I get it. It is just annoying after traveling for 12 hours to have an encounter which gains no one anything. But, this kind of thing is what one learns to put up with here. And, in truth, US Customs and Immigration is not much easier - except I have global entry, so hardly ever have to talk to anyone to arrive there. One time they pulled me out and cut open one package of Santo Domingo cafe. Jjj. What a world.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Russell View Post
    Try getting on the Israel airline without answering ''stupid questions'' ... not going to happen!
    With all due respect, the Israelis do NOT ask stupid questions. I remember traveling there decades ago as a teenager, and I still remember the calculated questions at the pre-check-in screening. Yes, you read that correctly. The Israelis utilize psychological tests that gauge how you respond to questions that you probably did not practice answering and are not likely to allow you enough time to create a false response. As someone else mentioned, the DR does not have time for this nonsense.

6. Likes jeb321 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by franco1111 View Post
    Agreed. If I travel with friends or with my mother it's straight through. If I travel solo, bags checked. Apart from the last time, where they have decided to put all bags for all passengers through the X Ray and everyone was just throwing their bags on, so it became confusing who was travelling with who. That was the only time that I have travelled solo and not been stopped.

Every time they do stop me I always wonder what they are looking for (apart from money). They take things out of my bag and ask what it is, what its for, it's almost like someone has told them to go through everyone's luggage but nobody has explained what to look for.

I have bag tags from the Dominican Tourist Board, those also help, I always say I've just come back from an official meeting.

Post Thanks / Like

Went thru SDQ twice everything fine and quick even though close to the holidays
    On the US-bound flight (United) there were airport staff doing interviews in the Jetway
    I was asked two questions (am Asian male; US citizen)
    1. Did you pack bag yourself?
    2. Did anyone give you anything?
    Recall those questions were asked in the 1990s (the good old days before 9/11)

9. Likes Derfish liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Taylor View Post
    With all due respect, the Israelis do NOT ask stupid questions. I remember traveling there decades ago as a teenager, and I still remember the calculated questions at the pre-check-in screening. Yes, you read that correctly. The Israelis utilize psychological tests that gauge how you respond to questions that you probably did not practice answering and are not likely to allow you enough time to create a false response. As someone else mentioned, the DR does not have time for this nonsense.
    The DR has all the time in the world. Maybe you are in a hurry and don't think they should take your time

11. Likes jeb321 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Went to MIA out of POP earlier this month with my Dominican wife. Nothing out of the ordinary at all except they almost didn't accept my cedula as proof of residency(they wanted to see the residency card)and wanted to charge me an overstay fee. Typical security screening except that I got random selected to have my bag "swabbed" to check for explosives.

Entering MIA was pretty staright forward. Checked my wife's visa and asked her how long she was going to stay and where. There is no more typical "customs" in MIA. You just get your bag and go. There are custom officers there and they just seem to stop people at random. My wife was one. They asked her if she was bringing in any type of meats/sausages from the DR. She said "no" and we were on our way. Afterwards, she looked at me in total disbelief and asked: "Why would a Dominican bring meat here"?

Returning back from MIA was normal except this time she was randomly selected to have her bag "swabbed" for explosives.

13. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I travelled STI to Miami -Dallas-Vancouver in November and at the Airport in Santiago I showned them my Cedula and my Canadian passport. They said my Canadian passport was blocked so they had to call a supervisor and go over to another computer terminal and unblock it. I paid nothing as I have Dominican citizenship. They told me the block on the passport is automatic after 30 days in country. Whole process took about ten minutes.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast