Dominican Senators and Deputies and their Exoneration Privileges

Do you think the exoneration privilige should be eliminated?

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Many DR1ers probably don't know that Dominican senators and deputies (congressmen) have a special privilege: exoneration of taxes for the importation of vehicles.

This has been a point of contention in Dominican society, because many legislators use the exoneration privilege to import extremely expensive vehicles (Ferraris, Maseratis, Mercedes Benz.)

The topic is back on the national discussion after yesterday José Ignacio Paliza, the senator for Puerto Plata, renounced his exoneration privilege claiming that its not right to have this unnecessary privilege at the expense of Dominican taxpayers.

Needless to say, many Dominican senators and deputies are either criticizing Mr Paliza for his decision or are saying that he's free to do what he want, but that he's going too far in asking for the exoneration privilege to be removed completely.

[video=youtube;5BJLm2mbDvU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BJLm2mbDvU[/video]

I have to say that José Ignacio Paliza is one of the better Dominican politicians out there. This is only one of many things he has done that show he's a serious guy, putting the interest of his country and his province above his own, the way it should be. He's also quite young, which leaves the road of hope wide open as far as he, along with a handful of other Dominican politicians, paving the way for a new way of doing politics in the Dominican Republic.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
In this video senator Paliza explains his decision for giving up the exoneration privilege.

[video=youtube;aZGvFOgikG8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZGvFOgikG8[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Another positive note, Distrito Nacional deputy Manuel Elpidio Báez, who originally was against the removal of the exoneration privilege is now saying that he's in favor. lol

[video=youtube;02eWKaj_1xc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02eWKaj_1xc[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Here is Mr Báez not long before the interview cited in the previous post where he indirectly says he's against the removal of the exoneration privilege. I wonder what made him change his mind in such a short period of time. Hmmm....

[video=youtube;4BJryD8I2SU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BJryD8I2SU[/video]

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
not only are they exempt from the tax but they can i believe do this every year they are in office. There is no cap on the value of the vehicle. Then sell the old one for a profit. Heck of a benefit.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
how can you expect a politician to represent his area ...if he cant drive a maserati to his meetings

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I always thought that politics and religion were off limits here in DR1 .I must have been mistaken. To answer the question correctly .one has to know the remuneration package that Dominican senators receive and not just a fraction of it .If their pay was low or if there was no travel allowance ,this would be an acceptable perk .I do not know the package but I do know that the pay for a minister is very high when compared to other countries . But it is quite impossible to sensibly answer this question without knowing the remuneration package

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
I always thought that politics and religion were off limits here in DR1 .I must have been mistaken. To answer the question correctly .one has to know the remuneration package that Dominican senators receive and not just a fraction of it .If their pay was low or if there was no travel allowance ,this would be an acceptable perk .I do not know the package but I do know that the pay for a minister is very high when compared to other countries . But it is quite impossible to sensibly answer this question without knowing the remuneration package

dr1 from

DR1 Daily News -- Thursday, 24 January 2008
"Hoy is reporting that each Dominican senator costs the state roughly RD$2 million per month, including expenses."

Reference follows:
Senators just as big a burden
Following yesterday's revelation that Dominican deputies take home more than RD$350,000 each month and that their salaries have increased by 7,000% since 1990, Hoy is reporting that each Dominican senator costs the state roughly RD$2 million per month, including expenses. Hoy writes that without including the special "cofrecito," (petty cash box), that ranges from RD$400,000 to RD$265,000 depending on the size of the senator's provincial population, the senators receive RD$265,000 per month in monthly income. This is broken down into RD$125,000 for basic salary, RD$50,000 in representation costs, RD$25,000 in per-diems, RD$25,000 for housing allowance and RD$3,500 for additional expenses. The 32 Senate members, like their deputies, also receive two complete tax exemptions for importing a vehicle during their tenure. These are frequently cashed in through car dealerships. Including all costs and expenses, senators manage RD$19.2 million per month. Senate president Reinaldo Pared Perez, who is also the senator for the National District, receives the highest monthly salary followed by Cristina Lizardo (Santo Domingo province), Francisco Dominguez (Santiago), and Tommy Galan (San Cristobal). Hoy writes that these senators also have drivers, offices in their communities staffed by between 10 to 12 people, and two advisors with salaries of RD$20,000 per month, all paid for by Congress.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
dr1 from

DR1 Daily News -- Thursday, 24 January 2008
"Hoy is reporting that each Dominican senator costs the state roughly RD$2 million per month, including expenses."

Reference follows:
Senators just as big a burden
Following yesterday's revelation that Dominican deputies take home more than RD$350,000 each month and that their salaries have increased by 7,000% since 1990, Hoy is reporting that each Dominican senator costs the state roughly RD$2 million per month, including expenses. Hoy writes that without including the special "cofrecito," (petty cash box), that ranges from RD$400,000 to RD$265,000 depending on the size of the senator's provincial population, the senators receive RD$265,000 per month in monthly income. This is broken down into RD$125,000 for basic salary, RD$50,000 in representation costs, RD$25,000 in per-diems, RD$25,000 for housing allowance and RD$3,500 for additional expenses. The 32 Senate members, like their deputies, also receive two complete tax exemptions for importing a vehicle during their tenure. These are frequently cashed in through car dealerships. Including all costs and expenses, senators manage RD$19.2 million per month. Senate president Reinaldo Pared Perez, who is also the senator for the National District, receives the highest monthly salary followed by Cristina Lizardo (Santo Domingo province), Francisco Dominguez (Santiago), and Tommy Galan (San Cristobal). Hoy writes that these senators also have drivers, offices in their communities staffed by between 10 to 12 people, and two advisors with salaries of RD$20,000 per month, all paid for by Congress.

And all of this is from 2008.  Now I’m curious how much that’s increased in 9 years. 

Rafael Perez

Oct 21, 2007
And mind you, thats not the only privilege those thugs have. Besides Exoneraciones, they also have:
1. Barrilitos
2. Christmas goodies
3. Toys for Epiphany
4. 18 million in fuel (Most likely free fuel or fuel discount cards)

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Also, they can also use that Exoneration on behalf of someone else. Therein also lies the problem.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
paliza is very rich so he can shyte on the petty pesos from the tax exempt. it's easy to give up financial privilege that you don't need.

that aside, i quite like him. i believe his ambition is the presidency and he may have a good chance if presented as a candidate in 2024 or 2028. he is a very smart man and very focused. quite simpatico too. and he knows how to play a political game very well. i've been looking at his career with great interest.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I should start spending more time with Senators and Deputies. No wonder everybody is in a rush to open a business, gain a following, and become an elected official here in RD. Makes sense in the long scheme of things.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
....Hmmmm.....where do they get the money for the very expensive cars to begin with.....

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
paliza is very rich so he can shyte on the petty pesos from the tax exempt. it's easy to give up financial privilege that you don't need.

that aside, i quite like him. i believe his ambition is the presidency and he may have a good chance if presented as a candidate in 2024 or 2028. he is a very smart man and very focused. quite simpatico too. and he knows how to play a political game very well. i've been looking at his career with great interest.

Because Senator Paliza is well off by Dominican standards, then I commend him for excluding himself of this privilege....he does not need it....his declared patrimony is about RD$ 18,383, 252.25....he does come from a family of diplomats and businessman....