Transportation options from PUJ to Santo Domingo

Texanwanderer

Nov 9, 2017
Hi all! I am in the midst of planning a trip, but we are restricted to flying into PUJ. Our tentative flight lands at 3:10PM at PUJ and we would ideally be able to get to Santo Domingo before the day is over. We will be staying at the Island Life Backpacker's hostel near the coast, West of Rio Ozama. Since we will miss the 4PM Expreso Bavaro I would like to know what our other options are. Worst case scenario is we stay in Punta Cana for the night and head out on the first bus in the morning but I would really like to avoid this if possible. Can we jump guaguas? Approximately how much would a taxi be? We will have large hiking backpacks, no rolling luggage. Thank you, any information or suggestions would be helpful excluding flying into a different airport.

jjp6632

Nov 3, 2017
From Punta Cana you would have to take a Taxi to the SITRABAPU terminal in Bavaro ($20) then the bus from Bavaro to Higuey ($2...1hr) Then in Higuey, you would take the APTRA to Santo Domingo (2hr30). It's about $8 per person. The direct option will cost you $115 with a private transfer directly from PUJ airport to the hostel with no stops. it will take about 2 hours. If you go the bus hopping way your looking at about 6-7 hours incluiding wait time.

Texanwanderer

Nov 9, 2017
From Punta Cana you would have to take a Taxi to the SITRABAPU terminal in Bavaro ($20) then the bus from Bavaro to Higuey ($2...1hr) Then in Higuey, you would take the APTRA to Santo Domingo (2hr30). It's about $8 per person. The direct option will cost you $115 with a private transfer directly from PUJ airport to the hostel with no stops. it will take about 2 hours. If you go the bus hopping way your looking at about 6-7 hours incluiding wait time.

Thank you, this is very useful. Do you have a recommendation for who to contact about the private transfer?

jjp6632

Nov 3, 2017
Thank you, this is very useful. Do you have a recommendation for who to contact about the private transfer?

I used Click travel service and it was greate. they waited for my flight when it was delayed. If you look them up you can find their number.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

Private transfer will charge you to Santo Domingo arround 200.00 US Dollars.  By the way the bus that will take you to Higuey its last stop is just in front of APTRA bus station that will take you to Santo Domingo.

May i ask you why restricted to Land in PUJ?

Texanwanderer

Nov 9, 2017
Private transfer will charge you to Santo Domingo arround 200.00 US Dollars.  By the way the bus that will take you to Higuey its last stop is just in front of APTRA bus station that will take you to Santo Domingo.

I have points to burn with Southwest airlines and they only fly to PUJ. I wish we could land in SD but we will just pay the bus fare instead and save our $400. I'm hoping I can get an earlier flight so that we can make the bus out that same day!

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I have points to burn with Southwest airlines and they only fly to PUJ. I wish we could land in SD but we will just pay the bus fare instead and save our $400. I'm hoping I can get an earlier flight so that we can make the bus out that same day!

Yes, best saving will be by bus, Southwest has planned to land in SDQ from FLL but for now as you says only PUJ

jjp6632

Nov 3, 2017

Like I said, two weeks ago, I paid $115 for a private transfer from Punta Cana to Downtown Santo Domingo

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Thus isn't the first we have heard here about the savings on a PUJ ticket getting eaten up by the transportation costs.

Or other arrival points....