Local bus - general questions

Wheathead

Sep 10, 2011
I know this forum is read by many long term residents so I thought I would post a few questions from a Canadian gringo.
I want to start using more local transportation and avoid the taxis as much as possible.
I am interested in taking a trip out to SuperPollo and Jumbo using the local bus.  I am just along Alemania Ave.
Questions:
1.  Where are the pickup points? I am guessing I just flag one down
2.  What bus do I catch - I am guessing the one that says Coco Loco?
3.  I believe the bus stops just in front of Super Pollo and then loops back, is this the point I catch my return ride?
4.  What is the current cost for 1 way trips?
5.  How do I indicate to the driver where I want to be dropped off?

Much thanks

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
He's in Bavaro.

I don't use public transportation but Coco Loco is where Jumbo and POLA (not Pollo, chicken) are. Yes, you just flag them down and when you want to get off say "Chofer, aqui por favor" (one variation) or call out the location.

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

Pancake

Nov 17, 2015
The bus will be have Sitrabapu or another similar name on the front windshield. There will be a toll collector hanging out of the door. There will usually be a small group of people waiting on the sidewalk (and looking up the street for the bus). Stand near them.

Last time I was there the price was $80 Peso per person.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
He's in Bavaro.

I don't use public transportation but Coco Loco is where Jumbo and POLA (not Pollo, chicken) are. Yes, you just flag them down and when you want to get off say "Chofer, aqui por favor" (one variation) or call out the location.

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

Or say, "A mi, aqui, ahora....a mi, aqui, ahora....por favor". Followed by, "Gracias, vaya bien!"

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
You just flag it down. The most common gua gua the name on it is Tramabapu. Yes, Sitra runs that route too, but less frequently. Most do not say Coco Loco. But, if it does, yes that is the one you want. Stops at Coco Loco across from Plaza San Juan/Super Pola and Jumbo more or less. There is a stop to come back in front of Super Pola - that is where you want to wait to go back. The fare is 40 pesos. To get off just say deja me. Or donde pueda. Or the location.

Pancake

Nov 17, 2015
The bus will be have Sitrabapu or another similar name on the front windshield. There will be a toll collector hanging out of the door. There will usually be a small group of people waiting on the sidewalk (and looking up the street for the bus). Stand near them.

Last time I was there the price was $80 Peso per person.