What's open on Christmas day?

Dreamer799

Mar 25, 2005
Is Supermercado Ole near Boca Chica open on Christmas day? How about Supermercados in San Pedro? Hours? Also, are restaurants generally open for dinner on Christmas? If so, are they crowded? Your help appreciated!

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
No Mauricio,sorry to disagree ,,there are very few restaurants open in the capital on 24th,the traditional day for the family Christmas Dinner in this country .Last year I had overseas visitors and we had a very difficult time finding anywhere open ..only the large hotels on el Malecon . Yes you definitely need to phone around and then book . I doubt if Boca Chica would be much different .

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
You’re right , restaurants aren’t ‘generally’ open. They’re generally closed but there are places that are open for which you’d need to reserve.

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
There will probably be some restaurants open on that day, I live in SD so not too sure about that area, but yes you should definitely call ahead. Best backup plan is just buy some food and drinks ahead of time and at least you can make a nice meal the 24th, that or hit up a local Dominican friends family meal haha.

Dreamer799

Mar 25, 2005
25th

Thanks. I'm actually talking about the 25th. Flying in that day with a group and will need to eat one way or the other.

There will probably be some restaurants open on that day, I live in SD so not too sure about that area, but yes you should definitely call ahead. Best backup plan is just buy some food and drinks ahead of time and at least you can make a nice meal the 24th, that or hit up a local Dominican friends family meal haha.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I am flying to santo domingo for the Christmas and new years holidays......I had hoped some restaurants would be open or at least the restaurants in hotels for the 25th December .....if not I suppose ill have to cook myself....at least I wont have to worry about shoveling snow

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Very strangely ,you may have less of a problem on the 25th than on the 24th as far as having a restaurant dinner is concerned. but I know more about my Zona colonial and Gazcue than Boca Chica .

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Big stores like La Sirena, Plaza Lama, and big Supermarkets are closed on the 25th, very few restaurants are open on the 25th also. Too much left over from family dinner on 24th and 25th not body cook here, just reheat and recover from hangover. You should try to get some one to get what you need before you come.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Very strangely ,you may have less of a problem on the 25th than on the 24th as far as having a restaurant dinner is concerned. but I know more about my Zona colonial and Gazcue than Boca Chica .

I was actually thinking of the restaurant at the Nicolas de Ovando Hotel

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
While out last night in the Colonial Zone, I asked several restaurants this question.  Most are closed on Dec 24, but open on Dec 25.  I would recommend Lulu’s Tasting Restaurant, pate de Palo or Jalao.  All are easily walkable if you are staying in the Colonial Zone.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I was actually thinking of the restaurant at the Nicolas de Ovando Hotel

Well,that is a wonderful choice and I am sure will be open but you will need to book . In some hotels ,on 24th and 25th they may ask for your credit card details in advance . I know this is definitely so at Crown Plaza