New Franchise Coming To SDQ in 2018

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
A new one stop entertainment & restaurant & bar will be coming to Santo Domingo in 2018. This will be a game changer for DR. Rest assured, this is real and I'll have more updates as soon when they are available.

Who it will be? Dave & Busters

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Game Changer - pun intended? I did go to one once. Did not have the desire to return. Might just be me.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That place is basically for kids.

The one time I went it was part of some company team building nonsense. A kids playground for sure.

Nothing can change the game for me that is in Santo Domingo.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I know I don't watch much TV but I never heard of them. I could goggle it but what do they do that makes them special or interesting.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
The no sunglasses to be worn in premises, no underwear and excessive skin showing will keep many potential customers away. What's next, no loud talking on the cell phone? What kind of fun place is that?...:0)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The no sunglasses to be worn in premises, no underwear and excessive skin showing will keep many potential customers away. What's next, no loud talking on the cell phone? What kind of fun place is that?...:0)

Oh, they are doomed before they start. An example of a faillure to do proper market research..

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There has not been a game changer in all my time in SDQ..not even Hard Rock cafe ..not even McDonalds or kentucky Fried Chicken ..gracias a Dios

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
There has not been a game changer in all my time in SDQ..not even Hard Rock cafe ..not even McDonalds or kentucky Fried Chicken ..gracias a Dios
 Perhaps the soon-to-open bar/restaurant DUO on Espaillat y Calle El Conde will be the first...

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I'm sure a Dave and Busters will do fine especially up front and Dominicans love those U.S. franchises. It can very possibly have long lasting success as well but a "game changer" ? Why?
I don't frequent those food franchises when in the states and have no desire in the D.R. or anywhere else.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
well they do try - the Denny's in Sto Dom tried to be an "upscale" resto - put in a bar even.. and a pretty lousy menu.. and lost all the very "Denny" feeling and taste and all... don't know about the one at the airport... Those guys pay a lot for the franchise and it is kinda sad to see them go under because they do not follow the formula that make the places such a success back in the USA.... IHOP opened and closed at the mall in SD... since their prices were way too high ... and service WAY too slow... lots of mistakes -- KFC has had more than one or two or three cases of tummy upset from the cole slaw...

Nathans appears to be still ok.. with - I think - one store on Churchill...
and their franks appearing sometimes at one store, sometimes at another

Chili's still thrives - despite having a very high priced ticket
and
TGIF - despite having a noise volume of a 80's heavy metal concert

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Every one of these places that comes to the DR robs you blind on pricing. The big reason that they are successful in the US is reasonable prices. But here it is a money grab off of the name. Starts out great and goes downhill fast.

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
I don't visit food franchises of any kind here, although, I did go into a Pizza Hut at the behest of a friend. The pizza was surprisingly good and the beer super cold as was the air conditioning; would have brought a sweater if I'd known. The one thing many food establishments have in common, in my opinion, is a lack of training in customer service and the value of time; the customer's time. I've been told on more than one occassion that slow service was due to short staffing; not because waiters and servers were on their cell phones as was clearly evident. My solution was to hire someone to cook for me 6 days a week and take a chance on getting good service on Sundays.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
The best customer service I've received has been at American places. As mentioned, Chili's, Hooters, Deny's and Applebees.
I have to mention good service at Andy's bar (Dominican owned). They even dressed up for Halloween.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I don't visit food franchises of any kind here, although, I did go into a Pizza Hut at the behest of a friend. The pizza was surprisingly good and the beer super cold as was the air conditioning; would have brought a sweater if I'd known. The one thing many food establishments have in common, in my opinion, is a lack of training in customer service and the value of time; the customer's time. I've been told on more than one occassion that slow service was due to short staffing; not because waiters and servers were on their cell phones as was clearly evident. My solution was to hire someone to cook for me 6 days a week and take a chance on getting good service on Sundays.

the real chain names - like McDonald's and Burger King - in the Capital - do a good job both in training their staff and delivering the food fast for the workers who only have short lunch breaks. The prices are higher than a local colmado - and the food certainly not as nutritious but they have always had clean bathrooms and reasonably decent food.. At least "decent" - CLEAN being the operative word .. at least in appearances.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
......never thought of a Subway as upscale.... went to a BIG one in Santiago last year.....valet parking and big prices dont make it upscale.......in USA they are the cheap guys in fast food....not sure they are still there.....Doc........

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Are we talking about this Dave and Busters with Happy Hour Specials?

http://www.daveandbusters.com/

If so, sure doesn't seem geared towards kids............

That’s the one.  Our daughter and her family love going there, the grandsons beg to go.  Last week it was big news that they’re opening a location in New Jersey, so I guess it’s equally big news that one is opening in DR.