Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Culture shock - NO MEN TO POST

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Africaida View Post
    Again, with your condescending tone. Of course, you know better.

If she is getting catcalls - it is based on how she is dressing and walking..

So I suggest that you dress WAY Down into sorta "Baggy Mennonite"

We were talking about "catcalling" which is, to me, the same whether we are talking about NYC (outside of your artsy and wealthy Greenwich village bubble of course) and Santo Domingo Despite the cultural differences, it is independent of the way women dress or walk as you suggested. And dressing down will probably still get a woman catcalls if she is reasonably young.

Again would love to hear what someone like Aguaita thinks.
    Doesn't matter how you dress, what you look like: if you are on sanky prowl, you will be "rewarded." If you are not, you will be invisible. Trust me on this.

2. Likes La Profe_1, Africaida liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I never stayed long enough for culture shock to go through the full cycle.  I stayed a year and left during the frustration phase for a job back home in Canada. Now I’m never back for more than a month at a time.   

What frustrated me the most while living there was probably the heat.  I lived in SD, had AC in my bedroom, but still it got to me every month except December.  I acclimatized a bit, but I liked Cabarete better because I could at least walk to the beach.  
    Food was also frustrating.  I like milk, and regular milk is hard to find.  The norm is the boxed UHT milk that I tolerated but it tasted gross.  Cheese also- I like dairy.  A block of cheddar cheese in SD was ridiculously expensive for next to nothing.  I was able to compromise a bit more on the cheese.  Bacon- same as cheese. 10 slices in a box for like 400 pesos- get out of here. And I eat bacon maybe 1x every 2-3 months.  If I ate steak I am sure it would be the same.

Guaguas.  Both good and bad I suppose, I used them ALOT.  Sure the A/C is nice in moderation, but then it gets excessive when it’s on full blast and you have to step out into the dense, thick city heat after travelling 1-2 hours.
    Romeo Santos everywhere,  I’m not a fan.  

I had a hard time in the culture that I was part of, wherein the upper class was so far removed from reality.  I’m not saying that is the norm across the island.  That was my experience. That is not to say that Canada is perfect and everyone is aware of and considerate toward those less fortunate (absolutely not).  But the division between rich and poor bothered me.  Volunteering was important for me while I lived there, but so was working and I didn’t have a lot of free time.  
    Things I liked- the way the lab system worked.  Much more efficient! My results would be emailed to me!  I found out my
    Blood Type and got an Amadita card for maybe 300 pesos. In Canada, I was told I could not find out unless I was in an accident or had a child, despite requiring regular blood work every 6 
    Cheap movies and restaurants was great, so I guess that aspect of food was okay. 
     Evenings in SD were also beautiful, with groups of friends.  The malecón in San Pedro was also quite a cultural experience - until the gunshots 30ft from us. When I first spent time there, people would sit out in the street until 11-12pm and enjoy the cool breeze off the ocean.  Neighbors would share music, food, and cool drinks.  On our last visit, nearly everyone was inside, locked up by 9pm.  
    Samaná is probably the most romanticized in my mind.  Las Terranas, Las Galeras, so beautiful. 

I could probably go on for awhile.  DR being my second experience adjusting to a new culture.  The first I stayed 10 years and I left in frustration.  In retrospect, I feel a sort of acceptance and appreciation for the experience. I think it will probably always be a sort of love-hate with the DR too.  
    Last edited by Auryn; 11-19-2017 at 05:44 AM.

4. Likes Matilda, keepcoming liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think many have a love-hate relationship with the DR. Things have changed tremendously since I first moved here. Some good and some not so good. The heat will always be one of my hate things. Living in SD traffic is another. However being able to drive a relatively short distance to a beautiful beach, relax in the countryside, etc..is definitely one of my good things. What shocked me when I first came here does not bother me as much, not flushing toilet paper, etc.. I have adapted somewhat to the "no fui yo" or "no se" mentality to a point. Catcalls, that in my mind can happen anywhere, anytime. I do not really believe dress has much to do with it. Men in the DR (not all of course) it seems second nature to them.

6. Likes Matilda, Auryn liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Traffic in SD... unbearable.  I re-read my post. Maybe I need to download the app because typing on phone left lots of mistakes even after I edited.  The spacing is atrocious, and somehow I left out entire words.
    Anyways, if one of my top complaints was food in a developing country- that’s totally selfish.  Especially because the poverty bothered me. It was one of the first things that came to mind, however.  First world problems need to take a back seat though and I reminded myself of that with my previous post. 
    Honestly, I think Romeo Santos everywhere was worse than anything. He sings like he wants to intentionally sound over-auto-tuned and I just can’t stand it.  And obviously there are groups working to help.  Just in my particular experience, the majority of the upper echelon is rather unaware/unconcerned and has a sort of “let them eat cake” mentality.  It happens in Canada too. 
    Cat calls are just cultural- you get used to it or you don’t. It bothered me at first, but eventually I just got used to rolling my eyes and continuing on as if they aren’t even there.  If they pursue despite being ignored that annoys me.  If they make eyes or gestures when I am accompanied by my husband, that infuriates me.  I’m sooo tempted to give them the finger, but my manners prevail I haven’t yet.  If I did, I’m sure I would just be some lewd gringa to them.  

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234